X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Super People 78

When Star Wars figures came out, all my favourites from previous Christmases got sent to the Black and White pages often discounted.

I didn't mind at the time but now it kind of makes me a little sad, save for the awesome team up of Steve Austin and Spider-Man, that just rules.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • jwyblejr
    galactic yo-yo
    • Apr 6, 2006

I would happily pay $6.24 for that Atomic Man Secret Outpost.

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

#6 ... Steve Austin in Bionic CPAP gear

Comment

• Brown Bear
        Still Old School
        • Feb 14, 2008

That one page sums up my childhood. Wow!
        Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Spidey is like "Hey guys, we're way back here!"

What a great page.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

I'm surprised how much more Stretch Armstrong was than the other figures.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Makernaut
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 22, 2015

It's kinds of wild to look at that from our perspective today and realize there is not one mention of Kenner, Mattel, Hasbro, or Mego in any of the listings. I'm kind of used to seeing "By X Corp" on print or web ads and even in the 70s you'd see and hear "By Mattel!" or whomever in any commercial on TV.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

Part of that may have been the desire to "sneak in" exclusive "me too" toys like Dr. Kromedome, made by Mego for the Kenner SMDM line. Or even up into the 80s, when a generic "super car" was advertised by Sears as part of the Super Powers line.

If they left out the manufacturer's names, it was easier to dump in extra off-brand stuff.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                  Museum Paramedic
                  • Aug 31, 2005

In 1978, I was 4-years-old. I remember seeing Pulsar in numerous stores, but I never understood why anyone would want that kind of action figure. Being so young, it was probably that I wasn’t old enough to comprehend it in order to have any interest. I don’t know.

Did any of you own and love Pulsar or know kids who did?

- Ian

PS. The other figure that I didn’t really “get” around this point in time was the 12-13 inch Battlestar Galactica figure.
                  Last edited by EmergencyIan; Apr 20, '18, 11:11 AM.
                  Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

I received Pulsar as a gift while I was convalescing from surgery. I loved that toy, it combined a SMDM feel with my fascination with the layered anatomy transparencies in our encyclopedia. Plus, I always wanted a Visible Man model and Pulsar seemed even better. I really liked how you could put the mission disks in his brain to "program" missions.

I promptly saved up my allowance and bought the Life Systems Center play-set for Pulsar. IMO it was cooler than the rocket for Steve Austin. Steve's diagnostic equipment relied on GITD effects, while Pulsar had a "real" lighted scanner and you "energized " him at different levels for different missions.

I didn't get his psychedelic foe Hypnos until I was an adult.

The only thing that mystified me about Pulsar was his scale (14"), he didn't fit in with most figures. It seems like he could have been a Big Jim PACK guy. Maybe he originally was going to be...
                    Last edited by PNGwynne; Apr 20, '18, 6:00 PM. Reason: punc/typo
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                      You and me both, brother. I still want one.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                        Museum Paramedic
                        • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                        I received Pulsar as a gift while I was convalescing from surgery. I loved that toy, it combined a SMDM feel with my fascination with the layered anatomy transparencies in our encyclopedia. Plus, I always wanted a Visible Man model and Pulsar seemed even better. I really liked how you could put the mission disks in his brain to "program" missions.

I promptly saved up my allowance and bought the Life Systems Center play-set for Pulsar IMO it was cooler that the rocket for Steve Austin. Steve's diagnostic equipment relied on GITD effects, while Pulsar had a "real" lighted scanner and you "energized " him for at different levels for different missions.

I didn't get his psychedelic foe Hypnos until I was an adult.

The only thing that mystified me about Pulsar was his scale (14"), he didn't fit in with most figures. It seems like he could have been a Big Jim PACK guy. Maybe he originally was going to be...
                        See, that’s interesting and I’m glad that I asked. I think I was just too young to appreciate Pulsar when it was in stores.

Do you know if it was a popular toy? I certainly saw it, often, in stores, but can’t recall knowing anyone who had it...of course, most of my friends were my age and maybe not interested.

- Ian
                        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• VintageJoe70
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 12, 2016

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                          WITH Atomic Man himself...I love it when stores would do that, have like a gift set of sorts that other stores wouldnt have...Like the Big Jim Laservette that came with the Big Jim figure...I never knew anyone offered that as a set...
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

that Lazetvette is awesome. I would have loved to have that for my Megos as a kid

Comment

• megowgsh
                              Customego HoF Curator
                              • Nov 19, 2003

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                              that Lazetvette is awesome. I would have loved to have that for my Megos as a kid
                              I turned a Lazervette into a Punisher car back in 2004

Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎