Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Praise Rao, red trunks on every one! I like them all for various reasons, but I'd choose the same as Hedji--especially Cho.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Brown Bear
      Still Old School
      • Feb 14, 2008

After reading online yesterday about Action Comics hitting 1,000 issues I decided to buy a copy. I haven't bought a new Superman comic since I was a kid but how could I not? Tonight the kids were on the PS4 so I thought I'd dig out my old comics. I stopped collecting in 1986 when Curt Swan stopped drawing him but I can go back fifteen years straight without missing one issue. And i can still remember buying issue #500 from McQuinns Pharmacy with my Mom as a kid and her saying a dollar was too much for a comic. Gonna flip thru these old covers this weekend with the kids. Can't wait. Long live the Man of Steel.

IMG_6143.jpg
      Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by Brown Bear
        After reading online yesterday about Action Comics hitting 1,000 issues I decided to buy a copy. I haven't bought a new Superman comic since I was a kid but how could I not? Tonight the kids were on the PS4 so I thought I'd dig out my old comics. I stopped collecting in 1986 when Curt Swan stopped drawing him but I can go back fifteen years straight without missing one issue. And i can still remember buying issue #500 from McQuinns Pharmacy with my Mom as a kid and her saying a dollar was too much for a comic. Gonna flip thru these old covers this weekend with the kids. Can't wait. Long live the Man of Steel.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22690[/ATTACH]
        well said BB. I too have not bought an issue in many years, but this is a milestone. I think the last Superman issue bought was the wedding album. When was that? 1999?

Comment

• ScottA
          Original Member
          • Jun 25, 2001

I went to my LCS today and got the issues I wanted. My guy also showed me a poster with all 1000 covers on it. It was a full size poster and you could actually see all the covers. I was pretty cool looking.

He said he showed the poster to a customer of his last night and the customer said he had every issue from 400-1000. I thought that was pretty impressive.
          sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• TrekStar
            Trek or Treat
            • Jan 20, 2011

I like both the 40's cover and 80's cover, I'll probably grab both of those.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
              Banned
              • Jun 23, 2001

This comic store in Brooklyn has an exclusive cover by Dell' Otto that is stunning in my opinion...I just couldn't see myself paying that much for a comic book:

https://www.bulletproofcomix.com/act...-dellotto.html

It might be sold out by now, Dell' Otto is a very sought after cover variant guy, but I figured I would post it here. A friend of mine went into Brooklyn today and bought one. There was a 1 per customer limit.

I ended up buying the Steve Rude cover. If I was a Superman fan I would have bought the Dell Otto cover...but I am not a major fan of Supes.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

^That is gorgeous.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Brown Bear
                  Still Old School
                  • Feb 14, 2008

I actually sat down and read issue 1,000 last night, more out of curiosity of what DC would do for a tribute like this and I gotta say I was impressed.

The stories paid tribute to oldtime Superman I remember all thru it and hardly mentioned the new stupid versions.

My favorite story was the one about the iconic car from the cover of issue #1. I won’t spoil it but it starts off with the guy taking the green smashed car to get repaired. The story really sums up the character of Superman and gives a nice homage to the first issue too.

But the highlight BY FAR was seeing Curt Swan again. DC actually found a few pages of his work never before used and had today’s guys ink and color it so it looks modern with his artwork. I had goosebumps seeing it again. The story even ends with the words: “For Curt”. I nearly got choked up seeing that. I have always loved Curt Swan's work.

The first story was a nice tribute and all thru it they portrayed Supe as the guy I remember.......a selfless guy who sees the good in everyone and always does the right thing. They did good by the character.

They dedicate the issue to Shuster and Siegel too.

The comic FELT like it was significant and in my opinion an appropriate tribute for a 1,000th issue. Not sure what I was expecting, but happily surprised with DC’s tribute
                  Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• phil
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 11, 2007

Sorry if this is a stupid question. The 1000 issue is based on the original issue numbering that began in the 1930s?

Comment

• MRP
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by phil
                      Sorry if this is a stupid question. The 1000 issue is based on the original issue numbering that began in the 1930s?
                      Yes. When DC launched the new52, they launched a new Action Comics #1, but a couple years back they did a publishing initiative called Rebirth, again with new #1s for everything, except Action Comics and Detective Comics, which picked up the numbering where they would have been if they had never been renumbered. So they added 52 (the number of New52 issues there were) to the previous issue number (#904) of Action before the new52 relaunch and started the numbering at #957. There have been 43 issues (it has been published biweekly rather than monthly during Rebirth) of Action since Rebirth started resulting in Action #1000.

Detective 1000 will be comic sometime soon (it's currently in the 980s so maybe in a year and a half).

Marvel has done a similar thing with "legacy numbering" so we recently had Thor 700, Spider-Man 800, Daredevil 600, etc. even though the actual numbering of the series has been restarted several times.

-M
                      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• jimbutsu
                        Memory *is* RAM!
                        • Apr 11, 2002

I ordered a bunch of the standard covers that looked cool, but the place I order from makes me order so far in advance that I couldn't tell you what it was I went with - so, it'll be a nice surprise whenever the next (much smaller than in years past) batch of books shows up.

Originally posted by ScottA
                        He said he showed the poster to a customer of his last night and the customer said he had every issue from 400-1000. I thought that was pretty impressive.
                        I almost could have had that with Detective once it hits 1000 in a year or so, but I gave up on DC when the New 52 launch happened... just coudln't do it (hence my comic orders beig so much smaller these days).
                        "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

^The Superman books have been really good since Rebirth. Other than that, the only DC books I've been buying are Batman '66 and FutureQuest (the HB action heroes) related. But my son (and most of the internet) says the rest of the DC titles are much better than since the New 52 and in some cases a few years prior to it.

chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• phil
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 11, 2007

Thank you MRP.

Comment

• MRP
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                              ^The Superman books have been really good since Rebirth. Other than that, the only DC books I've been buying are Batman '66 and FutureQuest (the HB action heroes) related. But my son (and most of the internet) says the rest of the DC titles are much better than since the New 52 and in some cases a few years prior to it.

chris
                              Our library offers the Hoopla service and most of the DC Rebirth trades are available to read for free digitally there (plus our local library system is well stocked with many of the DC titles in trade) so I have been sampling a bunch of the Rebirth stuff and its been decent, but not enough that I want to buy it on a monthly basis. I am getting Future Quest and trying some of the New Age of DC Heroes titles and I am going to give a few of the new launches a try, and will be on board with the Sandman titles launching later this year, so I am actually reading (and buying) more DC than I have since the 90s.

-M
                              "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• PNGwynne
                                Master of Fowl Play
                                • Jun 5, 2008

Thank you for the review, Brown Bear. I wondered about the contents.

I only read Aquaman consistently. I thought Future Quest was a limited series?
                                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎