• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Spielberg's next project is a Blackhawk movie for DC/WB with Amblin

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2018/0...with-blackhawk

Fresh on the heels of Ready Player One (which features cameo appearances by Batman, Harley Quinn, Batgirl and more), Steven Spielberg is ready to dive into the DC Universe proper with Blackhawk, a just-announced feature film from Spielberg, Amblin Entertainment and Warner Bros. Pictures based on the classic DC series about a squadron of WWII-era pilots. Blackhawk, which Spielberg is hoping to direct, will be his first featured centered around characters from the DC Universe.

In announcing the film, Warner Bros. Pictures Group Chairman Toby Emmerich said, “We are so proud to be the studio behind Steven Spielberg’s latest hit, and are thrilled to be working with him again on this new action adventure. We can’t wait to see what new ground he will break in introducing Blackhawk to movie audiences worldwide.”
    The screenplay for Blackhawk is being written by frequent Spielberg collaborator David Koepp, who was the screenwriter on Spielberg’s Jurassic Park, The Lost World: Jurassic Park, War of the Worlds and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Spielberg will produce the film together with Kristie Macosko Krieger, under the Amblin Entertainment banner, while Sue Kroll will executive produce, under her Kroll & Co. Entertainment shingle.
    I'm actually quite excited about this. I really dig the Blackhawks.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • Godzilla
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 3, 2002

Yes please! Totally in for that one.
    Mortui Vivos Docent
    The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• emeraldknight47
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 20, 2011

Perhaps WB/DC will finally get an adaptation of one of their properties right---by a man who said he has no interest in directing a comic book property no less....
      sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
        Perhaps WB/DC will finally get an adaptation of one of their properties right---by a man who said he has no interest in directing a comic book property no less....
        Spielberg actually optioned the Blackhawks 35 years or so ago, it was the reason DC revived Blackhawks in the 80s with the Dan Spiegle run, so his interest in this is not something new. Nothing came of that first option, but hopefully something will this time.

-M
        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• johnnystorm
          Hot Child in the City
          • Jul 3, 2008

Hoping Lady Blackhawk is a part of this... And that he goes in the adventure vein of Indy. My biggest fear would be casting Tom Hanks as Blackhawk or Johnny Depp as Chop-Chop.
          Last edited by johnnystorm; Apr 17, '18, 8:53 PM.

Comment

• jwyblejr
            galactic yo-yo
            • Apr 6, 2006

Don't think he'd go for Depp. Don't think Spielberg has done anything with him. Besides,Depp might be too busy with his band with Alice Cooper and Joe Perry.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Spielberg had the rights to Blackhawk back in the 80s, which is why DC revived the book for the great Mark Evanier/Dan Spiegle run! 35 years later...here we go again!

Edited to add:

Spielberg actually optioned the Blackhawks 35 years or so ago, it was the reason DC revived Blackhawks in the 80s with the Dan Spiegle run, so his interest in this is not something new. Nothing came of that first option, but hopefully something will this time.
              Whoops, jinx! You already said that. That's what I get for not reading the whole thread through!

Chris
              Last edited by Earth 2 Chris; Apr 18, '18, 6:59 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

• phil
                Persistent Member
                • May 11, 2007

Hopefully he'll get it right.

Comment

• Makernaut
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 22, 2015

Though I have never seen it, Blackhawk had a serial made by Columbia Pictures in the early 1950s. I'm hoping that Spielberg's sensibilities and proven track record with "Raiders" will make this version of Blackhawk a fun, high-adventure period piece with a little retro-futuristic tech thrown in for good measure.

Comment

• MRP
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Makernaut
                    Though I have never seen it, Blackhawk had a serial made by Columbia Pictures in the early 1950s. I'm hoping that Spielberg's sensibilities and proven track record with "Raiders" will make this version of Blackhawk a fun, high-adventure period piece with a little retro-futuristic tech thrown in for good measure.
                    Blackhawk was played by Kirk Alyn in the serial, more famous for playing another DC character....

here's the trailer for that serial...

-M

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

Henry Cavill should play Blackhawk then.

One of the Skarrsgards should be up for Stanislaus.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• phil
                        Persistent Member
                        • May 11, 2007

That announcement says Spielberg is only producing or did I miss something.

Comment

• MRP
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by phil
                          That announcement says Spielberg is only producing or did I miss something.
                          Producing and hopes to direct most of the reports say. It's all going to depend on scheduling I think. He's committed to doing Indy 5 and West Side Story first, so depending when the screenplay for Blackhawks is finished and when it's ready go into production vs. the rest of his commitments will decide if Spielberg directs it or not.

-M

Comment

• phil
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 11, 2007

Thanks MRP for clearing that up.

Comment

• sprytel
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 26, 2009

I loved the comic as a kid... truth be told, I was more into war comics like Sgt. Rock and GI Combat than I was into superhero comics... but it boggles my mind to think we are living in an age where a luminary like Spielberg would be making a Blackhawk movie. Strange days, indeed.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎