Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benbarb removable mask robin auction that ended in March

Benbarb removable mask robin auction that ended in March

Hey guys, I'm the winner of the RM robin MIB that benbarb sold in mid-March. I ran into a notable Mego collector at C2E2 over the weekend, and he tells me I most likely got scammed, that the head had been repainted and the mask might have been a repro. Now, i'm not necessarily a newbie, but I'm wondering what everyone else thought of this auction? Did I get scammed?

here's the original listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REMOVABLE-M...MAAOSw7rdadKDP

Looks totally legit. "benbarb" (ebay name) is a really good guy I believe is trustworthy. Bought from him before.

Images
    He's a good seller. Just read all of the details of his auctions (as you should any seller) and you'll be ok.

Images
    ^This. I don't picture him retouching a head, but that is easily discovered by gently washing the head or swabbing it with rubbing alcohol. A matte finish on the hair would also give away a repaint.

Regarding the mask: I don't see it mentioned in the listing, and there are close reproduction available--made with vintage material. I really couldn't judge without detail pix of it.
    WANTED: Gray AJ Mustang horse; Dale Arden dagger; Parker SI sweater; Grayson SI trousers; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top portion; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors; vintage Galahad box; minty Wolfman tights; Black Knight sword; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; POTA knife-sword; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes.

Images
    I'm pretty sure it's legit - just by looking at it's condition and the condition of the packaging, this figure was incredibly well cared for.

The only POSSIBLE red flag, that I'm not 100% sure of, was that the figure is in window packaging. Were removable mask Robin (and removable cowl Batman) released in window boxes, or were they strictly solid boxes?
    "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by megofan View Post
    ......................I ran into a notable Mego collector at C2E2 over the weekend, and he tells me I most likely got scammed, that the head had been repainted and the mask might have been a repro. Now, i'm not necessarily a newbie, but I'm wondering what everyone else thought of this auction? Did I get scammed?[/url]
    To be totally sure I suggest you investigate your "notable Mego collector" and make sure they don't have a personal beef with the ebay seller in question.
    .................................................. .......................

Images
    It looks correct to me from the photos. I really don't see any red flags (except the white line across the one pupil. But with that only showing in one of the photos maybe a light glare). And I have seen a few (or more;-) of these up close. Faked ones usually stand out and the eye paint is very consistent. The one pupil usually goes into the lower lid slightly. It should look airbrushed on and no brush strokes. The RCB eye paint changed slightly but not the RMR). The mask looks legit from the photos. Definitely two toning on yellow consistent with a faded green one. (It is still debated that some were sold yellow, as I have a good friend who maintains he had his parents replace his original one because the sleeves were yellow (when he was a kid). If you can take better photos of this, please post them.

Images
    Its legit....from head to toes. No need to worry my friend.

That's a sweet classic Mego collector's item, congrats on getting it and also being able to save up the money,
    I'm jealous, but happy for you too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    To be totally sure I suggest you investigate your "notable Mego collector" and make sure they don't have a personal beef with the ebay seller in question.
    It's not always their beef, they read something from a trusted source and assume there is a glimmer of doubt as a result. I've heard tell of some harsh accusations myself but none with any proof, so they remain merely conjecture in my eyes.

Also, one of his more vocal accusers once sold me a figure with undisclosed reproduction parts, so...glass houses.

I have read many of his listings and normally when an item's authenticity is in doubt, he mentions it in his description, not exactly to my personal satisfaction (ie If I don't know if something is repro, I'd just say it probably is) but that's beside the point.