X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Confessional
    Maker & Whatnot
    • Aug 8, 2012

Isle of Dogs

Wes Anderson has added another great chapter to the history of stop motion animation!

Obviously quirky and funny in the realm of his genre, and it comes with a great visceral sculpted quality with only light CGI. Also incorporates cool mix of traditional animation and stylized graphics throughout. Completely wild and deeply talented cast too.

Highly recommended and worthy of multiple viewings.
    Last edited by Confessional; Apr 12, '18, 3:48 PM. Reason: … <HOWL!>
  • rykerw1701
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 27, 2007

I agree it's worthy of multiple viewings. I think I suffered a bit from being over-hyped. I liked it, but didn't love it, and I feel badly I didn't love it. I do love stop motion animation, but I just couldn't get lost in this the way I could with Coraline, The Nightmare before Christmas, or more recently Kubo. I think it's just Wes Anderson's quirkiness, such as the way the dogs spend so much time addressing the camera that threw me.

Anyway, it's good. The plot is fun, the dogs are great, and the voice cast is amazing. I'll see it again when it's streaming.

Comment

• Brazoo
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 14, 2009

I've been dying to see it - I just haven't found the right time yet!

Comment

• Confessional
        Maker & Whatnot
        • Aug 8, 2012

Originally posted by rykerw1701
        …I think it's just Wes Anderson's quirkiness…
        That's entirely fair, and I've really only enjoyed his work more in recent years, from Mr. Fox forward through Moonrise and Grand Budapest.

I really appreciate his approach (homage!) to stop motion, particularly when considering the contemporary era is largely defined by Laika and Aardman as the only two full-time studios. He loves <chatter!> and so do I, viva la Kong!

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

I loved Kubo, I wish I had seen it in theatres. I'm looking forward to seeing Isle of Dogs.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• jacoblb
            Persistent Member
            • May 7, 2009

Can't wait to see it. I watched Wes' last animation project inside a theater and loved it, even though I don't like Clooney, but nowadays I tend to only get to the movie theater for Disney Marvel/Star Wars flicks.
            This one and Quiet Place are at the top of my must see list.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎