Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Misremembering VHS or VHS didn't look nearly as bad as people now claim it did

I recently watched part of G.I. Joe The Movie (animated) on videocassette and the quality was excellent. It played perfectly and sounded incredible. It looked fantastic!

Images
    Yeah, I watched an old VHS release of "ThunderCats: Exodus" recently (the feature length release of the first few ThunderCats episodes with some extra footage)... and it looked pretty good, particularly for a cassette around 30 years old.
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_T7BhcH-_Lqw/Rph52zHLjQI/AAAAAAAAAWY/IRQJUp3saOs/s200/Hulk.jpg

Looking for one CAH Mego Comic Activator (working or non working).

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Klosterheim View Post
    It played perfectly and sounded incredible.
    Yes, that's another thing people always fail to mention, how good VHS audio is.

I've been watching these old tapes on an HDTV, which would be a lot less forgiving to the format than the picture tube TVs they were designed for, and none of them have looked anywhere near as bad as these "authentic" VHS filters. Not even close. In fact they look quite nice. I think people misremembering/exaggerating the perceived poor quality of VHS must have been using really beat up tapes. You can't expect a vintage LP covered in scratches to sound as good as new and you can't expect a beat up wrinkled VHS tape to have perfect picture quality.
    Last edited by Werewolf; Jul 26, '18 at 1:15 PM. Reason: typos
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Images
    I forgot to mention, another thing I think people aren't realizing is, many Blu Ray and DVD releases have been altered to "enhance" the picture quality. Things like upping the color saturation and artificially high digital noise reduction. Often to the point of altering what the movies actually looked like in their original theatrical runs.
    Last edited by Werewolf; Jul 26, '18 at 1:19 PM.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Images
    Our office clean-out netted me a free VCR/DVD combo. I haven't had a working VCR in YEARS. Looking forward to watching some tapes soon!

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Earth 2 Chris View Post
    Our office clean-out netted me a free VCR/DVD combo. I haven't had a working VCR in YEARS. Looking forward to watching some tapes soon!
    Congrats! That is wicked!

Images
    I've got several of the 60s Marvel toons on VHS. That's the first thing I'm watching!
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

Images
    Here's a neat bit of VHS trivia. HD VHS tapes beat blu ray to the market by 4 years.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/79247...came-vhs-tapes

I personally think the D-VHS format never got the support it deserved because studios were not keen on people being able to record and permanently archive HD content off of TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
    I think people misremembering/exaggerating the perceived poor quality of VHS must have been using really beat up tapes. You can't expect a vintage LP covered in scratches to sound as good as new and you can't expect a beat up wrinkled VHS tape to have perfect picture quality.
    I agree.
    Either that, or they are watching them on bad equipment. When a VHS player is going bad it can have a horrible picture.
    That's usually the sign that it is getting ready to kick the bucket. Or that you need to clean and demagnetize the heads.

Images
    I've had a few VHS tapes converted to DVD's in the past and the video quality got better.

Is this a real thing or was my eyes just playing tricks on me ?
    .................................................. .......................