X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
    Our office clean-out netted me a free VCR/DVD combo. I haven't had a working VCR in YEARS. Looking forward to watching some tapes soon!
    Congrats! That is wicked!
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

I've got several of the 60s Marvel toons on VHS. That's the first thing I'm watching!
      sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Here's a neat bit of VHS trivia. HD VHS tapes beat blu ray to the market by 4 years.

The page you're looking for may have been changed, moved or mysteriously gone missing

I personally think the D-VHS format never got the support it deserved because studios were not keen on people being able to record and permanently archive HD content off of TV.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• tay666
          Career Member
          • Dec 27, 2008

Originally posted by Werewolf
          I think people misremembering/exaggerating the perceived poor quality of VHS must have been using really beat up tapes. You can't expect a vintage LP covered in scratches to sound as good as new and you can't expect a beat up wrinkled VHS tape to have perfect picture quality.
          I agree.
          Either that, or they are watching them on bad equipment. When a VHS player is going bad it can have a horrible picture.
          That's usually the sign that it is getting ready to kick the bucket. Or that you need to clean and demagnetize the heads.

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

I've had a few VHS tapes converted to DVD's in the past and the video quality got better.

Is this a real thing or was my eyes just playing tricks on me ?

Comment

• tay666
              Career Member
              • Dec 27, 2008

Probably did a little filtering during the conversion process.
              Either that, or the DVD player is cleaning things up a bit when scaling the image.

Comment

• cjefferys
                Duke of Gloat
                • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Werewolf
                Here's a neat bit of VHS trivia. HD VHS tapes beat blu ray to the market by 4 years.

The page you're looking for may have been changed, moved or mysteriously gone missing

I personally think the D-VHS format never got the support it deserved because studios were not keen on people being able to record and permanently archive HD content off of TV.
                Heh, I remember D-VHS. It really was meant as a temporary stopgap for die hard videophiles until a disc based HD format hit the market (which unfortunately ended up becoming a format war between Blu-ray and HD DVD). I don't recall seeing D-VHS available in the mass market, that format was more niche than even laserdisc.

You probably have a point about studios not wanting people to record TV programs in HD, which also explains why Blu-ray recorders never became a thing here (although they were widely available in places like Japan, I remember seeing Blu-ray recorders for sale over there as early as 2005).

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by cjefferys
                  Heh, I remember D-VHS. It really was meant as a temporary stopgap
                  I'm not sure that's the case. Electronics giants like JVC, Hitachi, Panasonic and Philips probably don't spend massive amounts of time and money on something they think will only last a year or two. Think about it, this was a system that could play HD widescreen movies and record off of TV in HD years before Blu-ray. D-VHS systems were also backwards compatible with regular standard definition VHS tapes.

I still think it boils down to the the lack of support from studios. Only a hand full of studios supported the format and maybe released around 150 to 200 movies. I, personally, just don't think they wanted people to be able to easily and permanently archive HD content.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎