Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Misremembering VHS or VHS didn't look nearly as bad as people now claim it did

Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
    It's not rose colored glasses to say VHS is way below modern HD formats but it was perfectly fine for its time.
    It was fine for its time, I agree, but it wasn't the best for its time. Both Beta and Laserdisc offered much better picture quality. I guess everyone's experience is different, but I was always wanting more for my home cinema experience, and found VHS frustrating, even before knowing better technology would be coming.
    SELL ME YOUR LOOSE MINTY WONDER WOMAN!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I had a SelectaVision player before I got a VHS and remember thinking quality wise I was taking a step down
    I find the CED format fascinating. It's pretty cool to think they were able to get both audio and video out of vinyl records.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorn Captain View Post
    I've just recently started collecting VHS tapes again, also for the format of the boxes, the artwork, and such.
    I totally get that. I regret getting rid of my Thundercats and MOTU VHS collection for the same reason.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Images
    Did you guys ever have Video 2000 in the US?
    Arrived at the same time of VHS and Beta, but much better quality. Didn't last long, though, and I was stuck with a pile of tapes and no new players.
    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

One of the many things that I don't miss about VHS is the chroma noise, especially when watching a film that has a lot of saturated reds (eg. Aliens, some Argento films).

Arrived at the same time of VHS and Beta, but much better quality. Didn't last long, though, and I was stuck with a pile of tapes and no new players.
    Nope, Video 2000 never made it to North America, I believe it was PAL and SECAM only, not NTSC.

Images
    No, but it sounds super cool. Had to google it. Wow, they were like giant audio cassettes that played movies and had the advantage of being able to play and record on both sides. Neat!
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Images
    I love my VHS vids.
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Interestingly enough, a part of my job is converting VHS, Super8, film, etc. to the digital format. Frankly, I don't miss VHS. I love the convenience of digital.

The other day I was thinking what a pain it was to go out and rent a movie at a chain like Blockbuster. Ugh. Always had a crummy selection. Only the independent places had the best selection of rare and hard to find movies. Now that is no more, thankfully.

I just wish more movies that are on VHS would show up on DVD/Blu-ray. Frustrating.

That said, it's always a pricey hassle having to upgrade from VHS to DVD to Blu-ray. I'm having to buy the same movie over again. However, there are some movies in my collection that I've gotten lazy about upgrading DVD to Blu-ray.
    I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

I never had a problem with VHS. My eyes are not the greatest, so I didn't really 'see' a difference between VHS / DVD on my 26" tube TV.
    Disc does have a lot of advantages over VHS, like no rewinding, jumping around a movie, etc.
    But there were also drawbacks. I recorded a ton of stuff on VHS. Couldn't do that with a DVD player.
    Plus, a VCR, you turn it on, and it is ready to go. DVD and BlueRay it takes a while. And I hate having to go through a bunch of menu screens. Just start the movie.
    If my main VCR wouldn't have crapped out I'd still be using it.
    Instead I went out and bought myself a DVR / DVD player-recorder combo.
    Used my back-up VCR to then transfer all the stuff I had onto that harddrive. Like home movies, a bunch of hobby videos, and a few movies I knew would never make it to disc. Then I burned those to disc.
    After that, I cleared out the rest of my VHS collection. Surprisingly made some decent money on my Godzilla tapes, and all my Iron Maiden videos.

Seems like no one remembers having to fast forward through a crapload of previews!
    WH--? Where in blazes are we, Wall Crawler?

Images
    Hey, I still cant get some things on DVD, that I had on or recorded from TV onto VHS.
    "Do you want a doll?" Kurt