Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

Actually, they did make recordable DVD players. I owned one, and it worked pretty well.

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

A tad off topic .......

Back in the Beta vs VHS days was anyone here a Beta person ?

I got into the battle late when VHS was already the established standard

Comment

• cjefferys
        Duke of Gloat
        • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Hedji
        Actually, they did make recordable DVD players. I owned one, and it worked pretty well.
        Yeah, I still have a Toshiba DVD recorder that works. DVD recorders never really caught on in North America, by the time they came out most people were already using DVRs to record TV shows. But in some countries DVRs never really got any traction so DVD recorders were more popular in those places (Japan for example, where you can even buy set top Blu-ray recorders).

Comment

• tay666
          Career Member
          • Dec 27, 2008

Originally posted by Iron Mego
          Seems like no one remembers having to fast forward through a crapload of previews!
          That came later.
          In the early days, you didn't have all that extra crap at the beginning of a video tape.
          But at least you could FF through it.
          Most of the DVDs I have won't let me skip the previews at all.

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

Perhaps if we are discussing the merits of various home media systems, we should consult someone with a logical perspective.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Oh, that mustache.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                HULK SMASH!
                • Apr 3, 2010

Gourmet video.
                PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• acrovader
                  Career Member
                  • Jan 19, 2011

Originally posted by Hedji
                  That's what I use at work when I'm converting VHS to DVD. Sony. Easy to use. I can also use it for Super8, too.
                  I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• acrovader
                    Career Member
                    • Jan 19, 2011

Originally posted by tay666
                    Most of the DVDs I have won't let me skip the previews at all.
                    I just fast forward through the previews when there are any.
                    I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

More "VHS effect."

This annoys me a smidge. I've been watching a lot of VHS tapes recently and none of them look anywhere near that bad. Not even the used ones. None are that washed out or glitchy.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Klosterheim
                        Persistent Member
                        • Mar 23, 2013

I recently watched part of G.I. Joe The Movie (animated) on videocassette and the quality was excellent. It played perfectly and sounded incredible. It looked fantastic!

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                          HULK SMASH!
                          • Apr 3, 2010

Yeah, I watched an old VHS release of "ThunderCats: Exodus" recently (the feature length release of the first few ThunderCats episodes with some extra footage)... and it looked pretty good, particularly for a cassette around 30 years old.
                          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Klosterheim
                            It played perfectly and sounded incredible.
                            Yes, that's another thing people always fail to mention, how good VHS audio is.

I've been watching these old tapes on an HDTV, which would be a lot less forgiving to the format than the picture tube TVs they were designed for, and none of them have looked anywhere near as bad as these "authentic" VHS filters. Not even close. In fact they look quite nice. I think people misremembering/exaggerating the perceived poor quality of VHS must have been using really beat up tapes. You can't expect a vintage LP covered in scratches to sound as good as new and you can't expect a beat up wrinkled VHS tape to have perfect picture quality.
                            Last edited by Werewolf; Jul 26, '18, 1:15 PM. Reason: typos
                            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

I forgot to mention, another thing I think people aren't realizing is, many Blu Ray and DVD releases have been altered to "enhance" the picture quality. Things like upping the color saturation and artificially high digital noise reduction. Often to the point of altering what the movies actually looked like in their original theatrical runs.
                              Last edited by Werewolf; Jul 26, '18, 1:19 PM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                                Verbose Member
                                • Mar 7, 2004

Our office clean-out netted me a free VCR/DVD combo. I haven't had a working VCR in YEARS. Looking forward to watching some tapes soon!

Chris
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎