X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

FTC Batlab questions

I've had this sitting around in the box for a bit and before I order a Batcycle and Batmobile, I thought I would take a look at this first. I have a few questions (to which I don't think I will like the answers).

First, the small, black plastic bat piece... should that be glued to the grappling hook? Mine was floating around in the box.

Second, my front seat was also floating around, in the van. Should that be a separate piece? I can place it in the van, with the arm rests sitting in the grooves, but if I tilt the van forward, it goes sliding, crashing forward. Should this also have been glued in place?

Finally, there are three sticker sheets, which looks right. But no instructions. Is that right?

I wish I fully opened this when I got it. Way too late to return to the Amazon purchaser I got this from. Even the top was on it crooked and I had to carefully take it off without breaking the tabs. Everything indicated that it was a new, unopened item, but now I question that. At least the Penguin figure is in good shape; one of the best quality fat bodies I have from FTC.
    Last edited by TRDouble; Apr 8, '18, 12:44 PM.
  • jacoblb
    Persistent Member
    • May 7, 2009

I don't have the Batlab van, but I do have the Teen Titan one. IIRC, the set up seems similar. There weren't sticker instructions and I had a lot of stickers left over so I made the van how I wanted. I remember other pieces just stored in the van, nothing glued or connected.

Comment

• TRDouble
      Permanent Member
      • Jul 10, 2012

Thanks, jacoblb. That makes me feel a bit better about this.

I didn’t expect sticker instructions, but with loose pieces, maybe a general instruction sheet on how to put it together for people like myself who have no clue of such things!

Comment

• TRDouble
        Permanent Member
        • Jul 10, 2012

Just because I always ask questions about this (and other vehicles) and never see many pictures of them, here are a couple of pictures of my decorated Bat Lab:

FTC Batlab with Penguin 1.jpg

FTC Batlab with Penguin 2.jpg

It's not bad. The rear wheels are tight against the body, but I don't have any plans to get on the floor and play, so I think I'm okay with it!

I still have to put the plastic Bat symbol back on the wrench (not a big deal; I'll never see it anyway) and I might glue the seat in too. The top is a little odd because it snaps on, but not in place; you can still slide it left and right a bit.

I love the sticker options... three pages to do whatever your heart desires to decorate the van! I had to let my inner child fully out to just start putting stickers all over the place (with the adult in me still saying, "that's enough there... don't over do it...").

I really didn't need a Prison Suit Penguin, but hey, what the heck? I may swap the body with my regular Penguin and then find a use for the Prison version.

So, yeah, all in all, not bad. It's something I never had as a kid, so I can't compare the quality to the original. I'm sure kid's would have fun playing with it, and it's a cool display piece. Plus, it's nice to cross off an old childhood want.

Not sure if it will entice me to buy more (I was interested in the Teen Titans van, and The Daily Planet van would be a nice piece for Lois, Jimmy, Perry and Clark), mostly because of the size. But If I had the space, I'd consider them all except the Gotham PD van.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Are there duplicates of the stickers so one can match each side? This looks good, I had one as a child and the FTC version will a gap in my collection.
          Last edited by PNGwynne; Apr 8, '18, 2:08 PM.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TRDouble
            Permanent Member
            • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            Are there duplicates of the stickers so one can match each side? This looks good, I had one as a child and the FTC version will a gap in my collection.
            Yes, there are duplicates for most of the stickers if you wish to match each side.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

^Thank you!
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• rodkeith
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 16, 2008

Originally posted by TRDouble
                Just because I always ask questions about this (and other vehicles) and never see many pictures of them, here are a couple of pictures of my decorated Bat Lab:

So, yeah, all in all, not bad. It's something I never had as a kid, so I can't compare the quality to the original. I'm sure kid's would have fun playing with it, and it's a cool display piece. Plus, it's nice to cross off an old childhood want.

Not sure if it will entice me to buy more (I was interested in the Teen Titans van, and The Daily Planet van would be a nice piece for Lois, Jimmy, Perry and Clark), mostly because of the size. But If I had the space, I'd consider them all except the Gotham PD van.
                I'm like you, never saw the Batlab outside of Heroes World ads as a kid, but would be great to have now. Looks tasteful the way you've done the stickers (if such an adjective can be applied to stickers). And like you, those three versions are the most intriguing, with the Teen Titans being the ginchiest. My LCS was supposed to get these in through Diamond months ago, but maybe I'll have to bite the bullet and face shipping to Canada.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I finally purchased an FTC Batlab. It's the only vintage vehicle I lack and, because I was never thrilled with it as a child, I'm perfectly happy with a repro.

Mine arrived in good condition, though my grapple is stuck under the front seat. I received two sticker sheets.

My door guide did pop off but was easily re-glued. The Penguin enclosed has no eyebrows! lol. (Must be the DeVito variant.)

I feel this is worth it vs. a vintage one. I plan on getting the GCPD van for a custom and am seriously considering the Teen Titans van as well--it looks so cool.

The only thing that surprised me is the front oval--it's a separate piece and so I wish it were properly bat-shaped. Then again, maybe this was intentional to distinguish it as a repro.

Comment

• TRDouble
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jul 10, 2012

PNGwynne, do your rear wheels roll freely, or are they tight against the body like on mine?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

I just checked on my countertop, all my wheels roll freely. But I can't get my grapple loose from underneath the seat! lol

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                        Permanent Member
                        • Jun 29, 2018

All three of my generic vans had the winch hook under the seat. I had no issues getting any of them out. Maybe untie it from the winch rotator drum and just pull the hook forward. All three bench seats on mine seem firmly glued down. All 6 axles seemed loose enough to roll freely and snug enough not to wiggle. The purple van had no bat winch piece. The blue bat winch piece had detached and was under the winch housing. The green van bat winch piece was still firmly attached. The rooftops do have play but this is needed in order to remove them. These seem more firmly attached than the 5 vintage vans I have owned.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

That's good idea, I was thinking of replacing the string with kite string anyway. The challenge is that I'm trying to retrieve the grapple without removing the roof.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                            Permanent Member
                            • Jun 29, 2018

the roof is pretty much meant to come off. slide it forward and lift.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Done and done, grapple retrieved. I was worried about breaking the roof clips, but this seems less brittle than my vintage Jokermobile.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎