Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada


Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Carded MEGOs with Broken Limbs

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 21, 2018
    Location
    Mississauga, Canada
    Posts
    26

    Carded MEGOs with Broken Limbs

    Question that's currently plaguing me. With a carded figure with a broken limb - unpunched, case fresh card and bubble - what's better?

    A: Leave it as is and appreciate it with its flaw = is what it is
    B: Gently peel back a corner of the bubble and fix(with vintage parts) & replace the figure so that it displays beautifully without resealing the bubble = a loose figure with a nice card & bubble
    C: Gently peel back a corner of the bubble and fix(with vintage parts) & replace the figure and reseal it as best you can = is this fooling yourself into believing it's perfect?

    Reason why it's plaguing me is that I have 2 Robins(1 knee, 1 wrist), a Hulk (elbow) and a few Star Trek figures (knees) as described above. So far I have looked at option A - which was easy (shy of finding them in the first place).

    Thanks so much for your input!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 3, 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    855
    Welcome to the museum. SO much awesomeness here.
    I would advise anyone that collects any kind of toy, weather it be newer or vintage to enjoy it anyway you like.It's your toy.
    I love to open cards and usually keep the card as nice as possible to later on put the figure back in. But that's me. I prefer all my figures loose for display purposes and the fact that holding a MEGO figure in my hands keeps me young. I would be wanting to fix the figure knowing me.
    I still remember my TOYS R US in the late 80's with tons of Hulks with the broken limb plague.
    Whatever option you choose, you won't go wrong.
    mego's befo ho's

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 21, 2018
    Location
    Mississauga, Canada
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by mego maniac mark View Post
    Welcome to the museum. SO much awesomeness here.
    I would advise anyone that collects any kind of toy, weather it be newer or vintage to enjoy it anyway you like.It's your toy.
    I love to open cards and usually keep the card as nice as possible to later on put the figure back in. But that's me. I prefer all my figures loose for display purposes and the fact that holding a MEGO figure in my hands keeps me young. I would be wanting to fix the figure knowing me.
    I still remember my TOYS R US in the late 80's with tons of Hulks with the broken limb plague.
    Whatever option you choose, you won't go wrong.
    Thanks Mego Maniac Mark!
    I like to open the cards too. I find it hard to believe that the scent that comes with it is still there after all this time but it sure does hit me with a nostalgic memory of Christmas and Birthday mornings. Love that smell. I'm a big fan of fixing them too!

  4. #4
    I say there are enough loose examples that you don't need to open these figures. If you do open them, you should wait for a special occasion. Like Christmas, or your birthday.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2, 2009
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by MegoNuts4Megos View Post
    Thanks Mego Maniac Mark!
    I like to open the cards too. I find it hard to believe that the scent that comes with it is still there after all this time but it sure does hit me with a nostalgic memory of Christmas and Birthday mornings. Love that smell. I'm a big fan of fixing them too!
    That smell is still engrained with my memories as well! Christmas time, birthdays, special occasions, it’s like time traveling!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 20, 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    4,650
    You could always open the card carefully from the side or the bottom, just enough to slip the figure out,
    then you can fix it up and reseal as you mentioned. Or like LonnieFisher says, keep as is and search
    for a loose one and pick up a repro card or window box for it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 29, 2007
    Location
    Puerto Rico, USA
    Posts
    2,135
    To me that would depend... If it's for selling I'll leave it as is and leave the decision to the buyer. If it's for keeping, I'll open it, fix it and get a nice repro card to re-seal. I know its brand new and that's what matters. I just couldn't find any love for a broken toy.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 21, 2018
    Location
    Mississauga, Canada
    Posts
    26
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts! I've decided to leave the Super Heroes as they are, the Star Trek I'm going to pull off gently and fix – LonnieFischer is right, these things are a dime a dozen. Especially the Kirks, Spocks and Klingons. I'll fix the broken ones and use any extra parts to complete others or customs. I don't think I'll be resealing anything, as long as they display nicely I'm happy.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 5, 2012
    Location
    KARLOFFORNIA
    Posts
    259
    Images
    2
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by MegoNuts4Megos View Post
    Question that's currently plaguing me. With a carded figure with a broken limb - unpunched, case fresh card and bubble - what's better?

    A: Leave it as is and appreciate it with its flaw = is what it is
    B: Gently peel back a corner of the bubble and fix(with vintage parts) & replace the figure so that it displays beautifully without resealing the bubble = a loose figure with a nice card & bubble
    C: Gently peel back a corner of the bubble and fix(with vintage parts) & replace the figure and reseal it as best you can = is this fooling yourself into believing it's perfect?

    Reason why it's plaguing me is that I have 2 Robins(1 knee, 1 wrist), a Hulk (elbow) and a few Star Trek figures (knees) as described above. So far I have looked at option A - which was easy (shy of finding them in the first place).

    Thanks so much for your input!
    I've had so many sleepless nights dealing with the same problem my friend. But, I would choose option C. because I hate knowing something's broken that needs to be fixed it just isn't right to be left alone.
    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/blogs/tv-news/how-batman-and-superman-stopped-being--super-friends--225413206.html

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •