Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

Wow! Couldn't a great look at those in the video...but that Joker, Robin and Supergirl looked pretty GOOD to me!!
    sigpic

Comment

• sprytel
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 26, 2009

*cough, cough*

Comment

• comicmike
        Persistent Member
        • Sep 22, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
        That's actually a different video than the one I saw, you get a way better look at the figures.
        Thanks for the video post, Z-man.

Yes, agreed, Brian; i had been been looking &looking for that same original YouTube video the past months,& i'm guessing it was deleted. Paul also has a short video of his own Mego cabinet at home with the prototypes on display (although they're not that clear; i think there are 2 Supergirls)...imo, Dr Mego and team are such amazing legends in our community. I can only dream with appreciation for how the Mattel line could have grown.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
        Last edited by comicmike; Apr 4, '18, 11:28 PM.

Comment

• wise guy
          Career Member
          • Dec 29, 2014

I have a bunch of loose one that I can't sell. The bodies are the worst male remegos ever made but the females are better with Brat doll type bodies
          Last edited by wise guy; Apr 5, '18, 8:01 AM.

Comment

• drogge
            Career Member
            • Jul 24, 2009

The Luke Cage in Dr Mego's cabinet looks pretty sweet. I wonder if that was intended to be part of a marvel retro set.

Comment

• Z-man 307
              Museum Super Collector
              • Mar 15, 2010

A lot of great reminiscing and sharing. I collected them all (I think the packaging told me too!), but my favorites (in no particular order) are Green Arrow, Green Lantern (Hal & John), Flash, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, Captain Cold, and Batman. The body issues were really fixed starting with Wave 3, so it definitely would have been nice to see what could have been. I buy some of the FTC line, but it just isn't the same for some reason. I appreciate what they are doing and I'm glad to have Cyborg, Grod, Gundy, Brainiac, and for sure a Red Tornado (although I wish he were just a little bit better), but the recreations of the originals are just off enough (suit too shiny or baggy, etc.) that they don't do it for me.

Comment

• TRDouble
                Permanent Member
                • Jul 10, 2012

I enjoy how FTC's new offerings have more of a true Mego feel to them, but I enjoyed buying the Mattel Retro Action line. We finally got Mego-esque Super Heroes in the correct 8-inch scale! That's something Hasbro and Toy Biz never did.

I think the early body issues definitely hurt the line out of the gate, but like Z-man 307 said, the quality got better, but it was probably too late by then. I would have loved that Robin and Supergirl. We didn't get enough females in the line and Robin needed a 8" update (still does; looking forward to the new FTC version).

Still, nothing beats the Hasbro DC 9-inch line for me. Great head sculpts, great costumes, especially the RC Batman. If only they were in the 8-inch scale.

Comment

• Boywonder0
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 29, 2007

Originally posted by rodkeith
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]22587[/ATTACH]
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]22586[/ATTACH]

Aaah! Here's some screencaps. Those really would've filled out the line nicely. That Supergirl in particular would've been great. Not to mention, would've expanded our ability to customize blonde characters. So sad these didn't see the light of day.
                  C'mon Mego Detectives!!! There's got to be a better picture!!!

Comment

• tllgn
                    Persistent Member
                    • Feb 6, 2010

i bought all of the retro DC action figures ,that were very good ,and most guest starred in robot chickens Dc specials .however FTC DC fills the spot quite well ,so i dont miss them at all.

Comment

• TomStrong
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 22, 2011

Originally posted by Boywonder0
                      C'mon Mego Detectives!!! There's got to be a better picture!!!
                      I agree! There’s got to be clearer evidence. I did watch the video and it just made things worse. Now I really wan to see them!

Comment

• Timothy2251
                        Jerks beef with Ten Bears
                        • Mar 15, 2008

Just curious - was the prototype Supergirl a new headsculpt, or was it the same as the Wonder Woman figure that was released?
                        "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• ovenmitt
                          Persistent Member
                          • May 26, 2009

This is a super wave and could have kept DC Retro Action going if it had been released.

I collected all RA except Green Lantern wave, great for $20 each.

Dr Mego told Mattel to keep RA mattycollector site exclusives and the line could have lasted longer like MOTU Classic. TRU ruined RA at retail.

I do like what FTC has done with Mego DC sine 2013 reissuing all 23 original Mego DC in the different packaging and making NEW DC, 66 Batman TV and Super Friends and Legion of Doom. And soon will release 12" DC Megos!

I also still have 90s Hasbro 9" DC Super Heroes and JLA and Hasbro 9" Spider-Man Origins when Hasbro got Marvel license in 2006. All for low price of $15 each. Too bad there is not a retail market for ReMego so Hasbro could make Mego 8" Marvel and Star Wars.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                            Often invisible
                            • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by ovenmitt
                            This is a super wave and could have kept DC Retro Action going if it had been released.
                            It wouldn't have mattered. There were so many other reasons that the line was cancelled that "character selection" wouldn't have even made the top 5.
                            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• wise guy
                              Career Member
                              • Dec 29, 2014

The local Toy's r us could never sell the LexLuthor and Sinestro's that sat on the shelf
                              until these discontinued. I bought most of them marked down to $ 5.00 each at
                              Marshall's, Ross and other discount stores. The Villans ratio and the GL wave didn't help
                              and the bodies were crap.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                                Verbose Member
                                • Mar 7, 2004

Mattel's distribution continues to be abysmal. Character selection combined with overshipping of the same wave over and over certainly didn't help. Not having a Robin and a Joker in the line really does hurt the line's legacy on the shelf, but I still dig the figures, despite the wobbly bodies. I know Doc had no control over that or most of the other wrong-headed decisions. That was Mattel.

Overall, I think aesthetically these are nicer, and are certainly better produced than most of FTC's output.

Chris
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎