X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Z-man 307
    Museum Super Collector
    • Mar 15, 2010

Mattel Retro Action Figures Not Made

I remember watching a video a couple years back from a toy show (maybe in Long Island) where Doc Mego mentioned (or actually had the protoypes at the show) of the figures that were not made prior to Mattel ending the line. I was hoping to find that video, but can't remember where I saw it. From memory, I was thinking the 4 figures might have been Robin, Bizzaro, Supergirl and Hawkman, but I could be wrong. Anyone remember this?
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

I forget the mix but you're mostly correct. Paul cleverly showed them via a video of something in his office? My brain is losing the details.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• hedrap
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 10, 2009

He had a powerpoint slide of them at a Meet in Wheeling, I believe. The room was packed so I could sorta see Hawkman via corner door.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

I thought it was Supergirl/Bizarro and Robin/Joker?
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Makernaut
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 22, 2015

I know there were a lot of accurate knocks on that line (mainly the poor retail distribution), but I am still very glad that they got made and thankful for what we got. I heavily modified every one of the figures I purchased by first putting them on swivel-arm bodies I got from Doc and then mixing in different parts from FTC to make what I call "third option figures" that I am genuinely pleased with. "Third Option" meaning I wasn't quite satisfied with either Mattel or FTC, but I took what I thought to be the strengths from each and combined them into something I am very satisfied with. Not really the economical route, but spread out over time it wasn't a shock to the budget and it was fun to pursue.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
            Often invisible
            • Jul 18, 2002

I don't believe Hawkman ever made it to finished prototype. The rest sound right, but I can't remember if it was 6 or 8 figures that were shown. Robin, Joker, Supergirl, Bizarro, The Spectre, Dr. Fate, and... were there two more? I know I worked on at least 1 more for that run, but the line was cancelled before I finished it. Maybe it was only 6.
            Last edited by CrimsonGhost; Apr 4, '18, 2:00 PM.
            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• drogge
              Career Member
              • Jul 24, 2009

John Steward, Guy Gardner, and Kyle Rayner, are my favorite sculpts,the DC Mattel sculpts were stellar! And the costumes were spot on. I was so disappointed when they abruptly ended. It sounds like Crimson Ghosts primarily creates head sculpts for 8 inch Mego-like, this makes me further intrigued by an upcoming announcement concerning new head sculpts. Somebody, spill the beans!

Comment

• Z-man 307
                Museum Super Collector
                • Mar 15, 2010

I found it in another thread. It's the Doc Mego interview at 2013 Eternal Con. 5 minutes in you see the 6 - Joker, Robin, Supergirl, Bizzaro, Spectre & Dr. Fate.

Comment

• Makernaut
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 22, 2015

^Thanks for finding and posting that Z-man. I had never heard about any of this and I was curious to see what the "sort of revealed" ones were.

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

That's actually a different video than the one I saw, you get a way better look at the figures.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Great video, spiffy figures. I'd much rather have had those, than the last Green Lantern Wave.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

I would have loved to get the Joker and Robin

Comment

• TomStrong
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 22, 2011

I agree with PNGwynne I think I would have loved to had those instead of all the green lanterns, even though I purchased them all. I too loved the line, thought they were great.

Comment

• rodkeith
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 16, 2008

Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 8.10.09 PM.jpg
                            Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 8.09.40 PM.jpg

Aaah! Here's some screencaps. Those really would've filled out the line nicely. That Supergirl in particular would've been great. Not to mention, would've expanded our ability to customize blonde characters. So sad these didn't see the light of day.

Comment

• mego maniac mark
                              Career Member
                              • Aug 3, 2010

I was at that show and saw Paul then. Those figures were so sweet. He was kind enough to let me handle them.
                              mego's befo ho's

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎