Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Thread: Ebay etiquette?

Images

Ebay etiquette?

I have an etiquette question for anyone who wants to respond. I auctioned a moc figure on Ebay. The buyer paid via paypal. I then shipped to the address ebay gave me. Two weeks later I received a message from the buyer wanting to know where his Mego was. I followed up with the tracking number which I had also given to the buyer. The tracking number revealed that the package was delivered to its shipping address. Ebay stated that they were going to take the money away from my paypal account and give it back to the buyer. Fortunately by showing it was delivered, I was off the hook and Ebay covered the loss and paid back the buyer. It turns out that the address was not the buyers address, but it was through no dishonesty on my part. So the buyer and I both received payment and the Mego was shipped to some limbo address.
    Well today I received the package back from the address I shipped it to. I feel like I should ship the figure to the buyer. That's what they wanted when they bid on it. But I also don't feel I should pay international shipping out of my pocket. Is it okay to ask the buyer for the shipping? What do you think? He received his payment back. I received his payment. and now I have the Mego back. I feel the right thing is tt at least contact the buyer and offer to ship for the cost of the shipping.

Images
    Blog Entries
    That's a tough one. It isn't right that you have both your figure and your money, but it's not right either if the buyer gets the figure for the cost of shipping and keeps the rest of Ebay's money. Was it some system error that gave you the faulty address? No that it matters, I am just curious. I would probably do what you have suggested, offer the figure to the buyer if he pays shipping, and let him deal with his own conscience. That's assuming you didn't get a refund of shipping fees too.

Images
    Im not sure what caused the shipping error. I shipped to the address that ebay invoiced to me. The address was to Virginia but the buyer lives in Italy. So there was quite a discrepancy in shipping.

Seems to me that the only party that committed an error is the only party that lost money. The buyer and you did nothing wrong. Wait a bit, then re-list it.
    You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Images
    It is possible the buyer had a friend in Virginia that he used to buy something from someone who would not ship overseas and it was still listed for him but he forgot about it. He got his money back so getting a figure for only shipping isn't bad.

CCC.

Images
    I know there is not much love for eBay around here... but I would feel like the right thing to do would be to contact them and let them know that you got the package back. I'm not sure what they would do, but it seems like they would be within their right to ask for their refund back. But it would also allow you to resell the figure (whether to the Italian or elsewhere) with a clear conscience.

Beyond ethics, I would be worried that this could otherwise be perceived as fraud or a scam.

Images
    I agree with the above ^^

Send eBay an email. If they ask for their money back or even if they don't ask for it back your conscious is clear and you can re-list. I think your buyer had something odd going on and I'm never comfortable sending overseas anymore, the tracking just isn't the same.

Images
    Thanks for everyones thoughts. Im going to contact ebay and let them know the package was returned to me.