Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super 7 Planet of the Apes coming this month ! Yay!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LordMudd
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 22, 2011

I have always said that a successful action figure line needs 3 things; Figures, Vehicles, and Playsets. Both Star Wars and GI Joe proved this, but, making playsets continues to get more expensive. Playmates had the right idea with their Trek movie Bridge playset but failed in execution because they planned it over 2 waves but the second wave never happened, so it remains unfinished. Mattel did slightly better with Young Justice's Hall of Justice, keeping it within 1 wave, but the last 2 figures were undercirculated, making it extremely difficult to complete. The idea of including playset pieces with the figures is sound, but has yet to be properly executed. There is a company making modular wall and floor segments, which would be great for an ever expandable playset, giving potentially infinite life to any given line they would be included with. This would be a potential win for a PotA playset. More likely we will see a cardboard playset similar to what Mego did. Faster and easier for Super 7 to make and distribute.

Of course the perfect playset would be a cardboard Ape hut in interlocking pieces that could be put on a scanner and copied as many times as you want, thus creating an entire village for the cost of 1 set.

CCC.

Comment

• spockoda
      Museum Super Collector
      • Jan 14, 2018

Originally posted by Hedji
      File this under Rumor:

On the Batman66 message board, a member received correspondence from Super7 saying that a PLAYSET is in the works.
      Awesome!

Comment

• lilbrosj66
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 4, 2011

I picked up a full set from the Super7 Store in SF a couple weeks back. The card art is really nice and the figures are a great addition to the POTA family. Can't wait for the next run of figures and the play set.

Comment

• alex
          Permanent Member
          • Jun 15, 2009

Well here is the playset, more of a figure stand, but certainly iconic, with the statue.

Comment

• Remco Monster
            GLOWS in the Dark!
            • May 3, 2006

Set is cool I suppose. Pretty boring, but will go well with the custom playset I made. I hate the box art though. Who in the hell wants to display a couple random hipsters in their toy collection? Hopefully that is just a convention exclusive box. They did it right with their Alien playset box art. Also hope the price isn't too outrageous. Something like that shouldn't cost more than $35.

Comment

• LordMudd
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 22, 2011

More like some of the early Kenner Star Wars playsets with a solid base and a cardboard backdrop. At least they are still keeping it retro...

CCC.

Comment

• cjefferys
                Duke of Gloat
                • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by TCM Hitchhiker
                I hate the box art though. Who in the hell wants to display a couple random hipsters in their toy collection?
                If I'm not mistaken, I believe that those "random hipsters" are a couple of the Super 7 folks. No way I'm paying $250 for that though. I could buy some decent POTA vintage for that price.

Comment

• spockoda
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Jan 14, 2018

The seller in the link is selling this for $249.00? No wonder I can't afford to be in this hobby much anymore. Wow. Overpriced and ridiculous. Even for a SDCC exclusive. This crap is why collecting figures is pretty much dead as a hobby. No way I would pay that for this even if I was a millionaire. It's simply not worth it.
                  Last edited by spockoda; Jun 30, '18, 5:20 PM.

Comment

• LordMudd
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 22, 2011

If it is the only one up, wait, someone will undercut him, then another, then another. It won't reach retail, but it will get better.

CCC.

Comment

• Remco Monster
                      GLOWS in the Dark!
                      • May 3, 2006

Pretty sure it will get a general release. Hoping the packaging is better.

I know the random hipsters are Super 7 people, that doesn’t make them any less random. Dumb joke taken way too far.

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

I liked the box for the ALIEN Egg Chamber playset better... they used kids for the box photography for that authentic 70s look.

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

The box art totally kills it.
                          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• tmthor
                            God of Knock-offs
                            • Nov 29, 2005

Originally posted by cjefferys
                            If I'm not mistaken, I believe that those "random hipsters" are a couple of the Super 7 folks. No way I'm paying $250 for that though. I could buy some decent POTA vintage for that price.
                            After SDCC it will be $75 on their site IF they have any left

Comment

• Remco Monster
                              GLOWS in the Dark!
                              • May 3, 2006

Originally posted by tmthor
                              After SDCC it will be $75 on their site IF they have any left
                              I knew it would be way overpriced. I made a custom playset that is bigger and actually has working features and vintage parts for half of that.

Also, you could buy a base from a vintage Land of the Jawas set and print out a backdrop for much cheaper than that.

And the packaging certainly doesn’t make the cost worth it.

I love this line, and this will be hard to pass up. But unless the cost comes down quite a bit on a general release or they change the box art for a general release, I will probably pass it up.
                              Last edited by Remco Monster; Jul 3, '18, 3:56 PM.

Comment

• spockoda
                                Museum Super Collector
                                • Jan 14, 2018

Originally posted by TCM Hitchhiker
                                I knew it would be way overpriced. I made a custom playset that is bigger and actually has working features and vintage parts for half of that.

Also, you could buy a base from a vintage Land of the Jawas set and print out a backdrop for much cheaper than that.

And the packaging certainly doesn’t make the cost worth it.

I love this line, and this will be hard to pass up. But unless the cost comes down quite a bit on a general release or they change the box art for a general release, I will probably pass it up.
                                The one you made, if it's the one I saw pics of, would be closer to worth the $200+ than the actual playset. What a disappointment it looks to be. It might be worth $250 if there were only five or ten in existence.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎