X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brazoo
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
    ^ Remember the numbers they give to you? You’d put it on your table and wait for your order. I had almost forgotten about that.

I recall them having salad bars, back when we went. We must have stopped going by the time Ponderosas became buffet’s here in the states. The other thing I recall is that you’d get your own drinks after you ordered and then could go back up for free refills.

- Ian
    YES! That's right! I think that's why me and my brother's liked it there. At the time I think it was the only place you could get free coke refills!

Comment

• EmergencyIan
      Museum Paramedic
      • Aug 31, 2005

As far as I know, there aren't anymore Long John Silver's in NYC. A number of years ago, I remember passing by one while on the way home. It was in Harlem and paired with some other fast food chain. I cannot recall which one.

There is a neat fish and chips place in Manhattan that's owned by some English people called a Salt and Battery. It's very good, though it can get pricey. I took my cousins there, who live in London, and they said it was quite authentic and really good in their opinion. They have everything down to the mushy peas. The same people also own a restaurant next door to the fish and chips joint, that's called Tea & Sympathy. We meant to try it, but never have gotten to it. A Salt and Battery is a smallish take out place, as you would expect, with a few stools around a bar at the storefront window.

- Ian
      Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Obibob
        Museum Super Collector
        • Jul 27, 2007

From my Northeast Ohio days growing up (before moving to Dallas in '96) Sizzler Steakhouse, Lujans (kind of a local clone of Bob's Big Boy), Red Barn, Burger Chef, and the Brown Derby.

PNGwynne - you should remember most of these!

Comment

• MRP
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2016

As far as I know, there aren't anymore Long John Silver's in NYC. A number of years ago, I remember passing by one while on the way home. It was in Harlem and paired with some other fast food chain. I cannot recall which one.

There is a neat fish and chips place in Manhattan that's owned by some English people called a Salt and Battery. It's very good, though it can get pricey. I took my cousins there, who live in London, and they said it was quite authentic and really good in their opinion. They have everything down to the mushy peas. The same people also own a restaurant next door to the fish and chips joint, that's called Tea & Sympathy. We meant to try it, but never have gotten to it. A Salt and Battery is a smallish take out place, as you would expect, with a few stools around a bar at the storefront window.

- Ian
          Most of the Long John Silvers around here are combined with A&Ws, at least here in the Dayton metro area.

-M
          "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• EmergencyIan
            Museum Paramedic
            • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by MRP
            Most of the Long John Silvers around here are combined with A&Ws, at least here in the Dayton metro area.

-M
            That may very well be the franchise that I saw paired with LJS.

- Ian

Comment

• Bronxboykev
              Permanent Member
              • Mar 7, 2011

Howard Johnson’s * great for late night meals after we used to go to the skating rink lol
              Bob’s Big Boy *- huge in Jersey and Long Island their double decker burgers and Breakfast buffets!
              Bennigan’s *- The Big Irish and my favorite dessert ever DEATH BY CHOCOLATE!!!
              Ponderosa & Bonanza Steakhouses *- Very short lived by us, Service and food quality were outstanding in the beginning, then the buffet came and they were doomed after that
              Charlie Brown’s Steakhouse- great place $19.99 END CUT PRIME RIB! and an awesome salad and bread bar
              Wetson’s- people look at me sideways when I say remember Wetsons but it was around my neighborhood long enough before it went belly up in 1975
              Chi-Chi’s- went there once on a treck out to long Island just before My brother Scott wed his Mrs and I had started dating mine lol

adding

Sizzler- loved going for the salad and app bar
              Ground Round- Cinnamon Dippers one of the best desserts EVOR created
              Arthur Treachers fish n chips- Moms favorite, I loved the corn dogs and Hush Puppies
              Jack n the Box- the first place i ever ordered a taco
              Roy Rogers- Free fixins bar, Roast Beef Sandwiches and the Best Fried Chicken
              Churches Chicken (locations in select White Castles) Best Honey Bisc
              Last edited by Bronxboykev; Apr 5, '18, 10:02 AM.

Comment

• LordMudd
                Persistent Member
                • Aug 22, 2011

Six pages and not one mention of Gallagher's Steak House! Preferred that to Steak and Ale. Always liked LJS but the one where I grew up got bad recently. The one here is still good. Alfie's Fish and Chips was mom's favorite.

CCC.

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

^ ---- I see you're from Texas

Ever eat at The Big Texan ?

Dang that was gooooooooooooood

Comment

• knight errant00
                    8 Inch Action Figure
                    • Nov 15, 2005

Howard Johnson’s - I remember going with my grandparents
                    Ponderosa & Bonanza Steakhouses - as a kid, the buffet was the appeal
                    Naugles - A place to go in college
                    A&W Drive-Ins - The old drive-ins beat the new shared-space version by a mile
                    Rax Roast Beef - Honestly, back in the day I don't think I could differentiate them from Arby's
                    Burger Chef - as a kid, I loved the idea of getting to fix up my burger the way I wanted
                    Chi-Chi’s - I remember eating there and liking it . . .
                    Ground Round - the only sit-down place my parents ever took my five sibs and me

Adding:

Zantigo's - like Taco Bell but better
                    H. Salt Fish & Chips - First fish-not-on-a-bun place I remember. I think the one here was turned into Arthur Treacher's before it closed.
                    Mister Donut - the only donut place we went to for years!

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                      Museum Paramedic
                      • Aug 31, 2005

^ Did you you guys go to Ted Drewes for frozen custard? I loved that place.

- Ian

Comment

• knight errant00
                        8 Inch Action Figure
                        • Nov 15, 2005

^ Did you you guys go to Ted Drewes for frozen custard? I loved that place.
                        - Ian
                        Did? We go several times a year-- best frozen custard and concrete's in town!

Comment

• cjefferys
                          Duke of Gloat
                          • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by knight errant00
                          H. Salt Fish & Chips - First fish-not-on-a-bun place I remember. I think the one here was turned into Arthur Treacher's before it closed.
                          Mister Donut - the only donut place we went to for years!
                          Oh yeah, I remember H. Salt Fish and Chips, we used to have one locally. I think it also turned into an Arthur Treacher's before finally closing down entirely.

I believe there is only one Mister Donut still operating in the US, but there are still a crapload of them in Japan, and also some in other parts of Asia. There's a Mister Donut near one vintage toy mall in Tokyo that I usually hit before my toy shopping excursions (the donuts there taste better than the Tim Horton's crap we have here in Canada).

Comment

• knight errant00
                            8 Inch Action Figure
                            • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by cjefferys
                            I believe there is only one Mister Donut still operating in the US, but there are still a crapload of them in Japan, and also some in other parts of Asia. There's a Mister Donut near one vintage toy mall in Tokyo that I usually hit before my toy shopping excursions (the donuts there taste better than the Tim Horton's crap we have here in Canada).
                            Yeah, I looked.into it.once, and I think the last one in the U.S. is about an hour from here... I've thought about driving out to it, for.old.time's sake. As I recall, they sold the Mr. Donut brand to a Japanese company (somehow that last store here was left to itself in the deal), and it got huge over there. Funny you.mentionTim Horton's--we had several open here in St. Louis a couple years ago, and they just recently all closed at once.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                              Museum Paramedic
                              • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by knight errant00
                              Did? We go several times a year-- best frozen custard and concrete's in town!
                              We had friends of the family who, in the 1980s, lived a couple of blocks from Ted Drewes on one of those old brick paved streets. Anyhow, we’d walk over there when we’d visit in the summers. One of my favorite places in St Louis besides Six Flags, Grant’s Farm, The Arch and The Toy Chest.

- Ian

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Bronxboykev
                                Jack n the Box- the first place i ever ordered a taco
                                As a Mexican-American...reading that caused me to almost pass out, lol. However...I won’t lie...as in my younger days, after a night of drinking...we used to hit Jack N the Box late at night...and those ghetto tacos sure hit the spot, lol. Yes, around these parts, we call then ghetto tacos, ha.

You don’t have Jack N the Boxes where you live?...as it’s a thriving burger chain here in the West Coast, they are all over the place...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎