X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brazoo
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
    There was one in Buffalo that I used to hit all the time because of the childhood connection (loved it so much I had my fifth birthday in one) . We stopped going because a) it was kind of sketchy and b) I developed an overall disdain for "all you can eat" joints.

One lunch time, the employee brought out a huge tray of chicken wings and the woman in front of us, just dumped them on all on two plates and left.
    Is this the same chain? If it is there's a bunch of them:

I didn't remember it being all you can eat - I thought the deal with Ponderosa was that you ordered at the counter (fast food style) and then a waiter brought your order to your table. I could be way off.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

No, you are right that's how it was for us too but the ones I've visited in the states now also have "all you can eat" buffets.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• EmergencyIan
        Museum Paramedic
        • Aug 31, 2005

^ Remember the numbers they give to you? You’d put it on your table and wait for your order. I had almost forgotten about that.

I recall them having salad bars, back when we went. We must have stopped going by the time Ponderosas became buffet’s here in the states. The other thing I recall is that you’d get your own drinks after you ordered and then could go back up for free refills.

- Ian
        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• EmergencyIan
          Museum Paramedic
          • Aug 31, 2005

Duplicate post
          Last edited by EmergencyIan; Apr 3, '18, 7:14 PM.

Comment

• spockoda
            Museum Super Collector
            • Jan 14, 2018

I ate at a Bob's Big Boy a lot for a few years of my childhood as my folks both bought Subaru cars in the late 70's and the city that had the Subaru repair shop had a Bob's Big Boy right across from it. One of the cars was almost in the shop more than it was on the road so for a few years we ate there A LOT.

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
              learning all the time
              • Sep 15, 2010

beefsteak charlies!! I almost spit my drink when I read that! forgot all about them.
              good call on the arthur treachers, although I think all I ever liked from them was putting vinegar on stuff, like their fries!
              there's a red barn up here in maine that looks very similar to that old place... a much smaller drive thru version just closed a few years ago. it was awesome.
              I've eaten rax before... it reminded me of a less greasy mcdonalds. maybe in ohio? this would've been in the '80s

I could add:
              hardees
              jack in the box
              s'barro
              friendly's
              sambo's

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Oh, I loved Arthur Treacher's. I went regularly until a couple of years ago when our closest one sold out. We still have a Long John Silver, but it's a pale imitation.

You're correct about Rax in Ohio, I think it was even based there.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MRP
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by C.H.O.A.M.
                  beefsteak charlies!! I almost spit my drink when I read that! forgot all about them.
                  good call on the arthur treachers, although I think all I ever liked from them was putting vinegar on stuff, like their fries!
                  there's a red barn up here in maine that looks very similar to that old place... a much smaller drive thru version just closed a few years ago. it was awesome.
                  I've eaten rax before... it reminded me of a less greasy mcdonalds. maybe in ohio? this would've been in the '80s

I could add:
                  hardees
                  jack in the box
                  s'barro
                  friendly's
                  sambo's
                  We still have a Hardees in town, and if I am doing a fast food burger (which is rare) it is still my place of choice.

Friendly's was a staple growing up in New England. There was one at the mall here in town when I first moved out to Ohio, but it closed probably 10 years ago when the mall anchors were pulling out of the mall and its foot traffic died off.

I remember seeing Arthur Treachers all the time, bu we never ate there as my mom was allergic to a lot of sea food and I never really ate much fish until I was away at university.

-M
                  "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                    Oh, I loved Arthur Treacher's. I went regularly until a couple of years ago when our closest one sold out. We still have a Long John Silver, but it's a pale imitation.
                    I forgot all about Arthur Treacher's, I liked that place. All the local Long John Silvers closed years ago so I thought the chain was dead until I was on a road trip in PA several years back and we found one. I was so excited, until I got my food. *Ugh* it was terrible, if the chain isn't dead it should be...

Comment

• ScottA
                      Original Member
                      • Jun 25, 2001

Love reading all of these stories.

Hardee's is big in the south. They are everywhere. It's Carl Jr's brother. Same menu and logo. The same can be said for White Castle (north) and Krystals (south).

Friendly's is making it's way down south. We eat at one on the way to/from Mego Meet. Now there is one in Auburn.

Another one my sons love is Backyard Burgers. We had one here but it closed years ago. We found one coming back from Mego Meet last year and stopped there.
                      sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by cjefferys
                        I forgot all about Arthur Treacher's, I liked that place. All the local Long John Silvers closed years ago so I thought the chain was dead until I was on a road trip in PA several years back and we found one. I was so excited, until I got my food. *Ugh* it was terrible, if the chain isn't dead it should be...
                        Yeah, LJS is filthy and greasy, both the floors and the food.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                          Museum Paramedic
                          • Aug 31, 2005

We had an Arthur Treacher's close to me, in the Bronx, about a decade ago. It was pretty good! To me, it was just like Long John Silvers, but, unfortunately, it only lasted for a year. I thought it strange for a franchise to go under so quickly, but I digress. Anyhow, my area in Indiana (Evansville) still has three Long John Silvers. When I go to visit, I typically will drop into LJS once. I still think it taste darn good. The ones there seem to be pretty clean.

- Ian

Comment

• Mikey
                            Verbose Member
                            • Aug 9, 2001

I'm not really a fish guy unless it's crazy mild (like McDonalds fillet o fish)

That said, I loved Arthur Treacher's fish compared to Long John Silver.

Long John Silver's fish is way too fishy for me.

Also, I think LJS hushpuppies are way overrated

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

LJS began in nearby Lexington, KY, as did Jerry's and Fazoli's. They were all under the same company (JerryCo) for years, but now I think they are all separate, and there are very few Jerry's left.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
                                Verbose Member
                                • Aug 9, 2001

In the 70's and 80's we used to have a chicken joint in our town called The Golden Skillet .... Chicken was fantastic (coating melted in your mouth)

Sometimes I hear this was a chain restaurant but I never heard of any others.

Anybody ever have one around them ?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎