X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Estrela's new "Falcon" muscle-body figures: a review

I recently purchased an Estrela Falcon retro muscle-body figure with turbo-copter. Sadly, it is disappointing:

* The figure seems fragile, and prone to the same problems as vintage muscle-bodies. If not joint disintegration, at least the melting common to the contact of vinyl and styrene. Nice head paint and flocking, though.

*The copter is poorly-assembled, with sloppy construction gluing the control-arms in place. The mechanism worked well.

The Hobbycrash Geyperman reissues seem much sturdier. It's a shame, I really wanted that yellow copter for a custom.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.
  • Ninersphan1
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 27, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
    I recently purchased an Estrela Falcon retro muscle-body figure with turbo-copter. Sadly, it is disappointing:

* The figure seems fragile, and prone to the same problems as vintage muscle-bodies. If not joint disintegration, at least the melting common to the contact of vinyl and styrene. Nice head paint and flocking, though.

*The copter is poorly-assembled, with sloppy construction gluing the control-arms in place. The mechanism worked well.

The Hobbycrash Geyperman reissues seem much sturdier. It's a shame, I really wanted that yellow copter for a custom.
    Thanks for this review, I've been tempted to pick them up, but they are a little pricey, so I've hesitated, now I might just pass.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

You're welcome. It's a beautiful display item, but I was surprised at the actual product. The copter was an embarrassment. If I knew Spanish, I'd contact Estrela directly. I purchased from Cotswold; I'm relieved I didn't go to ebay.

I've been kit-bashing a small corps of 12" Super-Joes, using reissue Geyperman M-B figures, Loucosporbonecos clothing, and Cotswold boots and emblems. I can recommend those items without reservation.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Dang, I really want to support this in hopes of the SF stuff getting a reissue but for that price, it's gotta be decent.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

I can't lie, I'd buy a Torak reissue. But they need to address production and quality issues.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

that's really a shame. they look so damn nice in the packages

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I wanted to share something that happened after my Estrela purchase, courtesy of Cotswold Collectibles. I had shared my review, because I wanted the vendor and other collectors to be aware of potential issues. I did not request a return because I had opened and broken the item.

Cots' customer service was concerned, regardless. And a today I received a replacement working copter. They didn't have to do that, and I'm very pleased--but not surprised. I've been a Cotswold customer for about 25 years and they are probably the best company I've ever dealt with.

Comment

• Ninersphan1
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 27, 2009

I wanted to share something that happened after my Estrela purchase, courtesy of Cotswold Collectibles. I had shared my review, because I wanted the vendor and other collectors to be aware of potential issues. I did not request a return because I had opened and broken the item.

Cots' customer service was concerned, regardless. And a today I received a replacement working copter. They didn't have to do that, and I'm very pleased--but not surprised. I've been a Cotswold customer for about 25 years and they are probably the best company I've ever dealt with.
                Cool, glad you got the copter, and yes Cots is second to none as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Wow that's some excellent customer service.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Makernaut
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 22, 2015

I've only been a customer with them for a short while, but I have been very pleased with their products and service. It is very heartening to me to read how well they took care of your issue. Thank you for sharing that and boosting my confidence in their willingness and ability to address those kind of issues when they pop up.

Comment

• phil
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 11, 2007

Thanks for the information on the Falcon items. Cotswold is excellent at customer service.

Comment

• Spectator
                        Museum Patron
                        • Feb 4, 2019

What a blast to see these reissued! Probably close to 20 years ago, I ran a group-buy for the last stock of original Estrela Falcon muscle body figures that a warehouse in Brazil had. I ended up with a giant box of about 40 of them on my front porch and I think I still have a few unopened somewhere. I don't know about these repros, but the originals were great for fresh replacement KFG hands, among other things.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎