X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.B.
    Guild Navigator
    • Jun 23, 2010

Meltdown Comics, a Los Angeles landmark, is shutting down

Been going to Meltdown since the late 90's. They were on the North side of Sunset back then. Picked up my second toy there since I started collecting: Mego Captain America. Cap was missing a thumb. I said, "This guy looks like he just walked off a scene from The Pope of Greenwich Village; how 'bout compensating for the missing digit?" They didn't get the reference and didn't budge on the price. Bought him "as is". It will forever be memorable, as on my drive home I saw 'Melrose' Larry Green on Sunset holding up Howard Stern signs.

Called up Meltdown today to see what was going to happen to their stock. 50% off was the response, so I drove there and picked up a Popy PB-95 Kamen Rider Sky Turbo

Gonna' really miss this place.
    You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.
  • Iron Mego
    Wake Up Heavy
    • Jan 31, 2010

Only been a couple times, but enjoyed it immensely. You got some nice stuff!
    Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• starsky
      veteran member
      • Aug 26, 2007

been there a few times myself. picked up quite a bit of popy world hero 3.75" figures at their first location. a little expensive at the time but so glad to come across them that i couldn't pass them up!

Comment

• J.B.
        Guild Navigator
        • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by starsky
        been there a few times myself. picked up quite a bit of popy world hero 3.75" figures at their first location. a little expensive at the time but so glad to come across them that i couldn't pass them up!
        Ha! yeah, some of their stuff was pricey, but sometimes they were willing to negotiate. For me, even if I over-pay, the experience of purchasing from brick & mortar over online is always worth it.
        You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by J.B.
          For me, even if I over-pay, the experience of purchasing from brick & mortar over online is always worth it.
          I feel the same way!
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
            Permanent Member
            • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by J.B.
            For me, even if I over-pay, the experience of purchasing from brick & mortar over online is always worth it.
            Amen to that. I think we buy things online we wouldn't buy in person and vice versa.

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

I visited Meltdown once back in the 90's. It was a cool store, sorry to see it's leaving.

Comment

• B-Lister
                Eccentric Weirdo
                • Mar 19, 2010

Never been, but I followed them on social media, and loved their entire aesthetic. It catered to the skate/surf punk aesthetic in me, in a way other comic shops couldn't.

I was sad to hear they closed down.
                Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Wee67
                  Museum Correspondent
                  • Apr 2, 2002

I've never been there. I've never even heard of them until this post. But I'm bummed out by this news. I know things change but I rue the loss of any of these stores.
                  WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• SeattleEd
                    SynthoRes Transmigrator
                    • Oct 24, 2007

MELROSE LARRY GREEN. Have not heard that name in a long time. He still around? I remember back in high school we would see him on Melrose near our high school, Fairfax.

Comment

• Confessional
                      Maker & Whatnot
                      • Aug 8, 2012

Sucktastic! Recently lost a local comic shop, Rasputin, and Dimple Records is liquidating across the whole Sacramento region. Pillars of toy/comic/music coolness, disappearing… what's left will be/is vapid online-ness. The people behind the counter, who stock the shelves, order the product, and talk to the customer, and clean the floors really do matter. I likely wouldn't collect any contemporary/new Mego without the Museum as a unique homebase to the subculture, and what's here isn't really replicated often for other collectors/fans of other genre/media.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                        Career Member
                        • Jun 8, 2015

Meltdown was ok, the one place that SHOULD close down is Golden Apple, talk about a decline, once they moved from their classic location (near Fairfax) to the end near La Brea (by Pink's hot dogs), the place went downhill! It used to be so well kept and well stocked and had great inventory, and the last time I was there it looked like a dump! What the hell!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎