X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Neutron X
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 22, 2007

Ebay Refunds: What's the deal

I've been out of the loop for a while and it seems rules have changed on ebay. I bought an item from Taiwan that was advertised as arriving in 2 weeks paid $35 shipping. Seller emails after shipping it that it cost too much for him to ship that way. So he shipped 4-6 weeks. It used to be you had to file a Paypal claim within 30 days to get your refund. Now it seems the seller has 3 months? In the past I was ripped off of by Chinese Sellers on some Joe prototypes by waiting too long to file a claim. It's been a month and I am worried about losing my money. Have the rules changed?
  • number 6
    Village Idiot
    • Jul 10, 2003

My understanding is that if the stated shipping in the listing is 2 weeks than that’s what eBay will hold him to.

The seller isn’t allowed to charge you for one tier of shipping and then change to a lower tier after you’ve paid.

Try using the Resolve A Problem option on the listing.

Comment

• Neutron X
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 22, 2007

Thanks I will try that. ebay won't let me file a claim saying seller has shown item shipped and has 2 more weeks for delivery?

Comment

• J.B.
        Guild Navigator
        • Jun 23, 2010

Man, that is just wrong. If the Seller miscalculated the shipping, that's on him; he has to honor what he listed as being the shipping method, even if it means he eats some of the cost. That Seller has got a lot nerve making that decision without asking your permission and then informing you after it was already shipped. Feel bad for you; hope it arrives. That was beyond a shady move and I'm sure you'll be protected.
        You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• number 6
          Village Idiot
          • Jul 10, 2003

Originally posted by Neutron X
          Thanks I will try that. ebay won't let me file a claim saying seller has shown item shipped and has 2 more weeks for delivery?
          Seller probably changed the shipping tier when printing the label through eBay; sounds like he found a workaround to padding his shipping costs.

I know talking to eBay CS is absolutely no fun, but padding shipping is against their terms. There’s probably a significant difference between the service you paid for and the service he used. If he didn’t refund you the difference then he’s out of line. Might be worth calling eBay to discuss it with them.

Comment

• Neutron X
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 22, 2007

Item arrived and I am happy!!! Communication in 2 languages could be part of the issues or seller could be taking advantage of the situation. So this is what I feel I learned. Ebay has changed the amount of time for getting a refund so no need to get nervous about past deadlines. In my case the seller contradicted shipping in the item description and actual listing, giving much more space and bigger writing in the description. So I don't think this was intentional but as a buyer I have to take some responsibility for not catching this before bidding. All has ended well and now I know eBay has changed some international rules over the years. Thanks for everyones input and help.

Comment

• J.B.
              Guild Navigator
              • Jun 23, 2010

Very happy you got your item.
              You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎