X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mego Magyar
    Permanent Member
    • Jan 17, 2011

New crap from ebay

While I don't list much on ebay anymore I do have a few things and today I got an email from ebay that:

"We’ve allowed buyers to make offers on 13 of your items

Hi Eugene
    Your items have been listed for more than a week, but views are low compared to other similar listings. The price may be too high. Letting buyers make offers will increase your chance of selling."

My listing didn't have "make an offer" and I don't want it but they feel it's their right to go into my auctions and change that. Ebay is getting to the point where it's not worth using.
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Never had that happen to me. weird
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Neutron X
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 22, 2007

Very frustrating to find you are not a independent business on ebay but a lackey. I quit selling there over 5 years ago and am much happier now. I no longer sell much but feel so much better not dealing with them. 12 years full time was more than enough for me. For me it came down to, is it worth it? It might be or it might not be, each person has to make that decision for themselves. Good Luck!

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

I gave up on ebay long ago ... don't even browse it anymore

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

What?! That type of interference is going too far.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
            Often invisible
            • Jul 18, 2002

So if you end the auction and relist it, what happens? I assume the "make an offer" thing comes off, but will they still charge a fee?
            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• number 6
              Village Idiot
              • Jul 10, 2003

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
              So if you end the auction and relist it, what happens? I assume the "make an offer" thing comes off, but will they still charge a fee?
              You shouldn’t have to end the listing, just Revise it, go in and disable the Best Offer function.

I’ll have to check Prefernces to see if there’s something you have to check to stop them from doing this.

I know numerous times where I’ve gone to relist unsold items and eBay makes the “helpful” suggestion that I should lower the starting price to a penny or autoselects the Best Offer function. But as yet I’ve never had them tamper with a listing once it’s up.

Comment

• LordMudd
                Persistent Member
                • Aug 22, 2011

Document everything! If they force you to sell even one item for less than you set it at, you should have a case for theft charges against them and the buyer. It is not the buyers fault, but he is an accessory, even if he doesn't know it, making ebay responsible for his legal predicament. If you have the documentation and a lawyer who knows what he is doing, you could beat them in court which would set a precedent that would allow others to do the same. Of course ebay won't want that so they will try to settle.

Now, you could take the money, OR, you could get creative.........

CCC.

Comment

• number 6
                  Village Idiot
                  • Jul 10, 2003

It’s Best Offer option that’s been added.

If a buyer makes an offer, the seller still retains the right to accept, counter or decline. You can’t be “forced” to take less for your item. Worst case scenario is you tick off a potential buyer, leave him wondering why you have the Best Offer option if your not going to actually consider offers.

I think simply revising your listings to remove the option is the way to go.

Now if eBay’s not allowing you to remove the option I’d be interested to know that.

Comment

• huedell
                    Museum Ball Eater
                    • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by LordMudd
                    Document everything! If they force you to sell even one item for less than you set it at, you should have a case for theft charges against them and the buyer.
                    Just how in the bejeezus could that happen? It can't. eBay could never make you sell something you want to keep. That's just crazy talk.

And actually, I find this new feature hilarious.

I use eBay constantly to buy... but to sell occasionally...

Best thing to ever happen to me as a collector.

Sellers?

I understand it can be frustrating.

But, simply eBay opens you up to a huge audience to get rid of your stuff, or otherwise make a profit on your stuff. And, you aren't forced to use them. If you can make better money (easier overall) somewhere else... you can do it.

I think sellers are sick of being pushed around by the eBay entity.... especially the longtime sellers who remember the days when eBay was the "wild West" as far as stipulations.

Many sellers are simply over-sensitive.

They take "Make Offers" that they think are too low and reject them without even trying a counter-offer. Stuff like that.

Now, one of the reasons I find this new aspect that this thread started with so funny is that, under a scenario like that one, sellers are forced to (OMG!!!) see an offer they take as an insult when they could counter close to their desired bid and both parties win.

That said: It is indeed amazing the eBay algorithm has become THIS ambitious. Reallllly workin' it over there.

EDITED TO ADD: I just saw the above post from Number 6, who basically said the same thing... but I'll address what he said about potentially ticking off potential customers by saying that you won't tick them off if you at least counter-offer... or at the VERY least send a note explaining what eBay did.
                    Last edited by huedell; Mar 26, '18, 8:28 PM.
                    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎