X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Kaybee Toys to make a come back?

Interesting. I wonder if this will actually happen. I deeply miss Kaybee.

Last edited by Werewolf; Mar 18, '18, 7:27 PM.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

He should turns KB into the Five Below for toys, he'll clean up.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

I hope they can do it. I really miss Kaybee.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• jwyblejr
        galactic yo-yo
        • Apr 6, 2006

The first article says they'll have a hard time because malls aren't doing that great. True but not if they open them in strip malls. If they put them in the ones that already have a Target or Walmart,I think they should do fine.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by jwyblejr
          True but not if they open them in strip malls. If they put them in the ones that already have a Target or Walmart,I think they should do fine.
          Exactly and Kaybee's smaller stores are an excellent fit for modern strip malls.

It was never poor sales that took down Kaybee. It was Bain Capital's leveraged buyout that buried them under mountains of dept. Same with what TRU is going through now.

Comment

• LordMudd
            Persistent Member
            • Aug 22, 2011

Bain keeps hoping some sucker will buy their stupidity because they don't have the balls to own up to it. You would think they would learn at some point.

CCC.

Comment

• LordMudd
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 22, 2011

Originally posted by jwyblejr
              The first article says they'll have a hard time because malls aren't doing that great. True but not if they open them in strip malls. If they put them in the ones that already have a Target or Walmart,I think they should do fine.
              We have a major corner here. Home Depot on NW corner, Lowes on SW corner facing Home Depot and with Walmart next door, Kohls, TRU, and Target on NE corner, and a long strip on the SE corner with Five Below, Michaels, Marshalls, Barnes and Noble, Hallmark, Ross, etc. Taking over the TRU slot would be a hard stretch, but getting in across the street would be ideal.

CCC.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

I shopped the hell out of Kay-Bee's and I'd love a comeback. Werewolf makes a good point about size and location, too.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• sprytel
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 26, 2009

I am a big fan of toy stores, but I wonder if Spirit isn't the model that should be followed: seasonal pop-up stores at the holidays. That's when toy stores do the vast majority of their business anyhow.

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by sprytel
                    I am a big fan of toy stores, but I wonder if Spirit isn't the model that should be followed: seasonal pop-up stores at the holidays.
                    Seasonal pop up stores doesn't really help the toy industry the other months of the year that aren't part of the holiday season. The toy industry and our hobby will take a massive hit if there isn't a year round toy store.

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

More on the Kaybee toys come back.

Strategic Marks, the company that bought the defunct KB Toys brand in 2016, plans to open 1,000 toy stores in shopping malls by Halloween.

Comment

• MRP
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 19, 2016

SO pop up stores starting Black Friday with maybe some becoming permanent locations if they do well and logistics work out. The one thing that worried me is that they are working on the assumption they can get the stock that has been produced with the intention of it going to TRU, but there may be other vendors/retailers looking to get a piece of that who may have previous deals with manufacturers or ins with distributors to get first crack at that material, and if so, these pop ups could have difficulty getting the kind of stock they need to be successful at prices that will allows them to sell at attractive prices and still be profitable. There's a lot of nuts and bolts factors that will take place behind the curtain that have to be in place before this can work.

-M
                        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• warlock664
                          Persistent Member
                          • Feb 15, 2009

Meh. I was never a big fan of KayBee Toys. Cluttered stores with mostly old stock or clearanced goods. Overpriced for anything new, their Star Trek 9" exclusives were double the price of regular releases. Haven't missed them at all, probably wouldn't shop there if they do come back.

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by MRP
                            SO pop up stores starting Black Friday with maybe some becoming permanent locations if they do well and logistics work out.
                            Starting with pop up stores is a little disappointing. But I do understand that's probably the only way they could get KB up and running by this fall. Hopefully many of them will do well enough to become permanent year round stores.

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

Some more news on Kaybee.

"Ellia Kassoff and his firm, Strategic Marks LLC, plans to open 1,000 or more pop-up stores by the holiday season under the KB name"

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎