Clear All
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Superman was the first?

• Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Well, I think most intelligent people know Superman was not close to being the first superhero.

Obviously if you go back to ancient mythology, you’d have Hercules, Achilles, Samson, Thor (the original Norse god).

The author mentioned el Zorro...but did not feature him.

I’d consider Popeye a superhero too.

Have been a big fan of Golden Bat (Ogon Bat) ever since I was a kid, loved watching the 60s anime.
    sigpic

Comment

• johnnystorm
      Hot Child in the City
      • Jul 3, 2008

I think the first hero is considered to be Gilgamesh.

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Good one! ^^^^^^^

sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

I found this interesting, though I didn't agree exactly with its premise. Some of the French heroes are really engaging; there's a great Judex film from the '60s. I'm a Fantomas fan, too. And Golden Bat is cool, I didn't realize he was so venerable.

Isn't The Phantom considered the first costumed adventurer, as opposed to a mystery-man type?
          Last edited by PNGwynne; Mar 18, '18, 6:09 PM.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

[QUOTE=Hector;1357294]Obviously if you go back to ancient mythology, you’d have Hercules, Achilles, Samson, Thor (the original Norse god).QUOTE]

That's what really engaged me with comics. I'm fascinated by mythology and story-telling tropes and comics seemed modern mythology to me.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• johnnystorm
              Hot Child in the City
              • Jul 3, 2008

Originally posted by PNGwynne

Isn't The Phantom considered the first costumed adventurer, as opposed to a mystery-man type?
              Correct, the Phantom was the first to wear a costume/ outfit with eyeless mask.

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

El Zorro was way before the Phantom.
                sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

You're right: 1919 for Zorro in print vs. 1936 for the Phantom in comics.

I love Zorro, but I consider Zorro a mystery-man. More dashing, perhaps, than Robin Hood or the Scarlet Pimpernel--and admittedly wearing a mask--but not exactly a costume IMO. I suppose part of it is also the semantics of "costume" in relation to comics heroes vs. pulp heroes.

And I use "mystery men" according to my own taste, for pulp/literary characters--even thought I know early superheroes were sometimes called "mystery-men."

I think the Phantom is the pivot-point towards the circus-inspired, leotard-wearing hero.
                  Last edited by PNGwynne; Mar 19, '18, 7:59 PM.

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                    I think the Phantom is the pivot-point towards the circus-inspired, leotard-wearing hero.
                    See, you are being slick now, lol. Now you added the circus inspired leotard-wearing thingie. That was not the original criteria.

El Zorro wears black, mask, and cape...fighting against injustice. Sounds familiar? That’s Batman right there.

If you want to call el Zorro a man of mystery rather than a superhero, then the Phantom is one as well.

Also, the Phantom has a gun, el Zorro a sword. Using a gun is not so heroic.

El Zorro by knockout!

sigpic

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

I think gun trumps sword.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Hector
                        See, you are being slick now, lol. Now you added the circus inspired leotard-wearing thingie. That was not the original criteria.
                        What criteria lol? That was my concern with the original video, overly broad premises/loose criteria. I'm stating my own criteria.

Of course Zorro inspired Batman, but it's a generational shift and Batman is wearing tights, not black civilian clothing.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

I think it was Superman's creators who said his costume was inspired by circus/gymnast attire. I don't know where Falk got the idea, but I think the Phantom is terrific, I love his comics. The dynastic aspect is so engaging.

Comment

• YoungOnce
                            Career Member
                            • Aug 29, 2007

interesting subject. We are not far enough removed from Action #1 that we can't see that Superman was an act of evolution and not spontaneous creation. So many aspects of Superman were present in other places that really it was just a rearranging of parts.

My opinion about what set his appearance apart was that it was a perfect recipe for the particular medium. What with his fantastic powers and brightly colored costume for the younger demographic that read comicbooks. Superman might not have been new for the pulps or radio dramas who had already seen masked heroes, but he was new for comic books. That's just one component of many I'm sure.

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by YoungOnce
                              interesting subject. We are not far enough removed from Action #1 that we can't see that Superman was an act of evolution and not spontaneous creation. So many aspects of Superman were present in other places that really it was just a rearranging of parts.

My opinion about what set his appearance apart was that it was a perfect recipe for the particular medium. What with his fantastic powers and brightly colored costume for the younger demographic that read comicbooks. Superman might not have been new for the pulps or radio dramas who had already seen masked heroes, but he was new for comic books. That's just one component of many I'm sure.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎