X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Makernaut
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2015

Ava DuVernay to direct DC movie “The New Gods”

Warner Bros. said Thursday that DuVernay will direct "The New Gods," a DC Comics property created by the famed comic book artist Jack Kirby.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ava-duv...-the-new-gods/

I haven't paid much attention to the plans for extended DC movies as of late, so I wasn't aware "New Gods" was even going to be made.
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

I hope they give it the Kirby look!

Comment

• Makernaut
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
      I hope they give it the Kirby look!
      Indeed! I think that property absolutely has to have the Kirby Aesthetic or else the mythic intent will not be understood as easily as it should be.

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

Sounds interesting! As they're not as high profile as a lot of the DC characters are...maybe this will take the pressure off? And yes, they had better get the "Kirby look" right!!
        sigpic

Comment

• huedell
          Museum Ball Eater
          • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by The Bat
          Sounds interesting! As they're not as high profile as a lot of the DC characters are...maybe this will take the pressure off?
          Didn't work that way for Suicide Squad... although I was sure it was going to.

My guess is that "the Kirby look" is going to be a core selling point of the movie... pumping up Kirby's legacy is a sure-fire way to seduce the nerd community to give the early stage promo some strong legs, and my opinion is they'd be fools not to have this POV.
          Last edited by huedell; Mar 17, '18, 12:43 PM.
          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

The success of the Kirby-looking Thor: Ragnarok and Kirby's co-creation of Black Panther probably had a hand in this getting green-lit right now.

My wife and daughter saw A Wrinkle in Time. They were kind of "meh" on it, saying it didn't live up to the book. But it looked nice.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• jwyblejr
              galactic yo-yo
              • Apr 6, 2006

I think that's what did The Inhumans in. It didn't have a Kirby vibe to it.

Comment

• huedell
                Museum Ball Eater
                • Dec 31, 2003

The way that I see it is that New Gods is a cache of locales that trump BP and Ragnarok in a unified manner in that its an other-worldly Star Wars or GOTG type property, but yet all stemming from Darkseid and Highfather's battle... an alternate Heaven and Hell... and to not "McQuarrie" the heck out of Kirby's work here would be an exercise in making your job more difficult.

So, there's that.

Also... what I brought up earlier about fan-servicing Kirby followers (the "real" comicbook fans) is going to make some waves here in a way that has precedence, and a way that convinces me that y'all have nothing to fear when it comes to having the Kirby designs embedded into the bedrock of a New Gods movie... and that precedence is New Gods functioning as "the 2nd banana Marvel guy is given free reign at DC and created this" aspect.

This is the third time i'm saying it, but this is why I'd think WB would have a bigger screw loose than usual not going "Kirby, Kirby, Kirby" if they're bothering to make this in the first place.
                "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• The Bat
                  Batman Fanatic
                  • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by huedell
                  This is the third time i'm saying it, but this is why I'd think WB would have a bigger screw loose than usual not going "Kirby, Kirby, Kirby" if they're bothering to make this in the first place.
                  Oh, I agree! I think DC having Kirby's New Gods...is kinda like them having a great opportunity to play in a "Marvel type" universe? They'd be foolish not to take advantage of that!!
                  sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

I agree. Heck, I'd love a Kamandi film, too. Unfortunately, it's slightly derivative of POTA and that would likely cause the critic's derision and possibly hurt box office performance.
                    Last edited by PNGwynne; Mar 18, '18, 8:30 AM.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• The Bat
                      Batman Fanatic
                      • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                      I agree. Heck, I'd love a Kamandi film, too.
                      HELL YEAH!! I 2nd that!!
                      sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

And OMAC and Etrigan and The Newsboy Legion and Manhunter and Sandman and anything else that has Kirby magic.
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Gadgeteer
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 16, 2014

Full on Jack Kirby for this movie is a must, the way that last Thor movie looked was Great!
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎