Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was your biggest selling regret ???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

What was your biggest selling regret ???

Needed some scratch to pay some bills ...

Had to unload my Corgi Batmobile --- bought for me by my ma at our local drug store when I had strep throat back in the early 70's

Nostalgia aside, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Anybody else have a painful (for whatever reason) sale ?
  • mike69
    Museum Super Collector
    • May 4, 2011

That sucks!! I had to sell all my Megos, and most of my vintage toys a few years back. I was laid off and had to pay bills. Like you said "you gotta do what you gotta do". Especially when you have a family!! I don't really regret doing it but, I wish I still have them. If that makes sense!?

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

I sold a Peter Parker, Clark Kent, removable mask Robin and all my other mego figures to some kid for a quarter. His mom threw them away when he took them home. Some of the figures were broken, so she thought it was all trash. Robin didn't have his mask anymore and I'm sure Clark's glasses were missing, but still....

Comment

• Psykodelik Vampyre
        Museum Patron
        • Jan 22, 2018

I too, sold my Mego collection (originals/and many customs) a few years ago to pay bills thanks to Our Great Economy, and have regretted it ever since.
        https://www.reverbnation.com/psykodelikvampyres

Comment

• acrovader
          Career Member
          • Jan 19, 2011

Circa 1992, I sold all my Sectaurs and some Transformers to a local hobby shop. I was heading off to college and it never crossed my mind that these things would be worth (much) money. Plus I needed money to buy albums with.

I think those are the only things I sold. It could of been worse, I could've sold some stuff that I'd end up really regretting- like my Micronauts.

As a side note, I haven't been to one of these toy collector shops in ages (I buy most stuff online), until recently.. A place near me was LITTERED with 90's junk- POTF2, Shadows of the Empire, the Phantom Menace figures, Spawn, etc.
          I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
            Invincible Ironing Man
            • Feb 28, 2008

I regret everything I had to sell to pay bills. Not just because some of the values soared later on, but because I loved them and will never get them back. Several MOMC SW 12-backs and all my foreign carded SW figures.
            Sold off my Madelman collection which, just ten years later, would have bought me a house.
            Regrets, I have a few.

Ah, well, at least they came to the rescue when I needed them...
            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• jacoblb
              Persistent Member
              • May 7, 2009

probably selling my 1979 Audi for $300 in the early 90s. It was my first stick shift vehicle. Worked great.

Otherwise, maybe my MOTU figures at a yard sale. Thankfully Mattel re-released most of what I had.

Comment

• VintageJoe70
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 12, 2016

Sold alot of my boxed GI Joe Adventure Team sets back in the 90's when I needed money...This was pre-ebay for me, so I practically gave them away compared to what some of these sets would have sold for now...I have gotten rid of other toys over the years, partly because I'd get bored with them and my interest would shift...But I really regret my Joe stuff...

Matt
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I sold my almost-complete vintage MOTU collection ( I had everything but Tytus and Megator) in the early '90s to buy a computer. The computer is long gone and it still pains me to think of my MOTU collection.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• powersthatbe
                    Persistent Member
                    • Sep 27, 2010

my star wars figures at a flea market when I was fifteen(i'm 15 now, I'm too old for toys phase). some complete sets of comics. the Hasbro WWF figures from the 90s,i didn't know now how much adam bomb,billygunn.bart gunn,123 kid have gone up in value.some gi joes I gave away to friends' kids.but thanks to ebay every once in a while I recover a lost gem.

Comment

• powersthatbe
                      Persistent Member
                      • Sep 27, 2010

speaking of the corgi batmobile my cousin in Detroit would brag he had the rare one with red tires.

Comment

• tay666
                        Career Member
                        • Dec 27, 2008

It's not that I regret selling, it's that I regret how I sold them.
                        Back in late 2001 early 2002 I sold off my vintage Star Wars collection. I still loved the figures and such, but being a bit of a completest, I knew there was no way I would ever have a complete set. So I decided to get them out of the way, and help fund my first trip to Wonderfest.
                        Sadly, though, at that time I had no digital camera yet. And the scanner I had was a piece of crap as well.
                        So, trying to sell on ebay with no photos or crappy scanned images of disposable camera pictures led to getting much lower prices than I could have gotten.
                        I had a lot of good stuff too. Blue Snaggletooth, complete Droid Factory, complete Sandcrawler, several carded ROTJ figures. Lots of loose figures (with guns) and playsets, mail-away sets and figures (complete with mailing boxes). And a lot more.

I think I ended up with like $400-500 for all of it. Which did fund my trip to my first convention with my daughter.
                        But I always wonder what I could have gotten if I would have had good photos for people to see just how good the condition was on everything.

Comment

• LordMudd
                          Persistent Member
                          • Aug 22, 2011

Complete set of original Outer Space Men.

CCC.

Comment

• cjefferys
                            Duke of Gloat
                            • Apr 23, 2006

Luckily no toy regrets, but I do regret getting rid of a lot of my vinyl albums on ebay nearly 20 years ago. At the time I was happy that I was getting anything for stuff that I thought at the time was near "worthless", but I really wish I hung onto them, now that I'm getting back into vinyl. I find I'm rebuying records and paying a fair amount more than I sold my originals for.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                              Permanent Member
                              • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by powersthatbe
                              my star wars figures at a flea market when I was fifteen(i'm 15 now, I'm too old for toys phase). some complete sets of comics. the Hasbro WWF figures from the 90s,i didn't know now how much adam bomb,billygunn.bart gunn,123 kid have gone up in value.some gi joes I gave away to friends' kids.but thanks to ebay every once in a while I recover a lost gem.
                              You are correct the green card WWF figures are much more expensive than ten years ago. 1-2-3 kid is now the most coveted figure in the line. I think Dusty and Andre used to be.
                              The story of behind the kid figure is Mr. Perfect shaved his eye brows before the photoshoot for the figure. https://s.ecrater.com/stores/379074/...da_379074b.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎