X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Toys R Us Mego Memories Thread

With the sad news of Toys R Us, we thought we'd ask Mego heads what their best mego Memory is of TRU, what one item did you get there as a kid has brought you the most happiness?
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

As a kid the most thing I remember about Toys R Us was their Christmas season TV commercials... Baby Jee

Round these parts we never had an actual TRU store nearby until the mid 80's

Now that I think about it, we didn't have ANY toy stores in driving distance until the 80's

Comment

• hedrap
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 10, 2009

Finding the wall of Pin-Pins will always stand out, along with running across a lone D&D Tiamat on a barren shelf.

The rest is with my kids, especially my oldest.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

I too ran into a wall of Mego Spideys (probably Pin-Pin or another foreign distributor) in 1986, but passed any of them up for...Bravestarr. Hoo boy, was that a mistake. I could have used at least 1 good, new carded Spidey.

I didn't get to TRU much before the 90s, but that was the strongest memory.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• warlock664
          Persistent Member
          • Feb 15, 2009

Sadly, I never stepped into a Toys-R-Us until the late 80s, long after Mego was gone.
          I wasn't even aware of the store until I bought an October, 1980 cover-dated Marvel comic with that huge "Win a TRU Shopping Spree" banner emblazoned over the X-Men logo on the comic I bought.
          I have lots of great memories of Famous Covers, Marvel Legends, DC Universe Classics, and most prominently all the great exciting times I spent with my kids there when they were young. I'm really gonna miss that store.

Comment

• cockyhoskins
            Career Member
            • Jan 13, 2009

My oldest and probably fondest memory of TRU was when we lived Downriver in Detroit as a kid. I had to go to the doc for a vaccination shot. After, my dad took me to Burger Chef to get a Star Wars meal and then to the TRU, where we picked up many of the original 12. I think I got Chewbacca, Darth, Luke, C3PO and R2D2 that day.

I was fortunate when we moved to Greenville, SC shortly thereafter to get another TRU in the very early 80s. So I basically had a TRU around me all my formative life.

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

Oh Wow....Burger Chef. I think that was the joint we used to go to in Jersey.

My Pin-Pin TRU wall was dominated by the entire FF. Like the bin of polybagged Falcon's at Christmas Tree Shoppe, it's an image stamped into my memory.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                Still Old School
                • Feb 14, 2008

We never had one here in Atlantic Canada until I was grown, and the one we had sucked and never carried retro stuff.

I visited one in Boston a few years ago that looked old and it was one of the greatest stores I’ve ever been in. My wife had to pull me and kids out of there.
                Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Timothy2251
                  Jerks beef with Ten Bears
                  • Mar 15, 2008

Double Post - sigh.
                  "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• Timothy2251
                    Jerks beef with Ten Bears
                    • Mar 15, 2008

Earliest memories of Toys R Us include an entire wall of Mego WGSH - had pretty close to the entire run way back when. Mego goodness, however, went by the way side once Star Wars hit and the shelves were loaded with action figures, ships, etc.

Also, Burger Chef in nearby Howell, NJ was a must for pre- and/or post-Toys R us visits.
                    "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• HardyGirl
                      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                      • Apr 3, 2007

There were no ToysRUs stores in Manhattan NY when I was a kid. (I think the closest may have been Yonkers), but I remember that 1976 Christmas ad ("Fireplaces glowing, icicles growing..."), on WNEW Ch. 5 while watching cartoons after school. Even now when I watch that ad, I'm reminded of that special Christmas-y feeling. Thanks for the memories, TRU.
                      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Ivaniski
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jun 24, 2007

One of my best memories of Toys R Us in the 70's, was getting my first AFX set (tracks and cars) , really enjoyed them.

Comment

• Spyweb007
                          Persistent Member
                          • Apr 18, 2006

Anyone else remember action figures were aisle 7C back before the various remodels. Video games in 2B and 2C.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

Our TRU appeared late in my toy collecting. I have much more vivid memories and attachment to Children's Palace.
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Phosfate
                              • Jan 16, 2018

We didn't get one until the 90s, just in time for the Action Figure Boom and Toy Biz's endless line of Marvel figures. There was nearly always something great in the super-hero aisle (Northstar and Aurora were particular favorites, along with the Silver Age X-Men boxed set). Then Famous Covers appeared. "Hey, these are like those goofy figures that Treasure City always carried!" I learned how to customize regular and clothed figures and had a fine time. (Except for the incident with the X-Acto knife and the exploding tubes of super glue gel. I learned that it is possible to put a bandaid on a big bleeding wound with your teeth, and then call Dial-A-Nurse with your hands fused together. "There's super glue in my eyes, am I going to die?")
                              I have never kissed the editor of the Radio Times

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎