X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

goodbye toys, hello teenagers

My daughter just donated all of her toys to charity this afternoon.

As i loaded the Barbie dreamhouse into the car, i said "You gonna be ok about this?" and her reply was "Yeah, are you?". Damn good question.

I loved playing with my kid's toys and while they still have some "A-List" treasures on display, it felt really weird last Christmas to not visit TRU.

Also, it happened overnight, it kind of scared me.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

^Ooh, that is scary. My son has kind of come back around to wanting to collect Marvel Legends and the like, but when he actually boxed up his toys a few years back, it was hard.

When our daughter packs it all in, I'm not sure what I'll do. I'm thinking she'll still keep at her Legos, though.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Iron Mego
      Wake Up Heavy
      • Jan 31, 2010

I'm dreading this day. I've already told my daughter we will be storing quite a bit of her stuff for her, as I know all too well the regret of "donating" my childhood treasures.
      Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• palitoy
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
        My son has kind of come back around to wanting to collect Marvel Legends and the like, but when he actually boxed up his toys a few years back, it was hard.

Yeah, it was subtle with the boy. He sold all his SW toys to buy Halo army builders, so i didn't notice he'd transitioned from playing with toys to "nerd hummels".

I eventually bought him a plexi case for his JLU figures because those were a father/son bonding thing.

The daughter thing just kind of came out of nowhere. My wife last week said to me "we can renovate the play room any time" and i realised, she hadn't been in there at all this year.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

it is tough to see. my youngest packed it in a year or so back. she wanted to give away all of her Monster High collection and I was like, "hell noooo. do you know how much we spent on all that stuff????" it's all packed away in tubs at the moment

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

^ I have that regret, too. Selling my MOTU collection shortly after college was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made. I sold all my Star Wars, too. I don't miss those at all, but MOTU still hurts.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy
              My daughter just donated all of her toys to charity this afternoon.

As i loaded the Barbie dreamhouse into the car, i said "You gonna be ok about this?" and her reply was "Yeah, are you?". Damn good question.

I loved playing with my kid's toys and while they still have some "A-List" treasures on display, it felt really weird last Christmas to not visit TRU.

Also, it happened overnight, it kind of scared me.
              Wow, they grow up fast, scary ain't it? I remember she had quite a lot of toys in the play room downstairs, but hey, if it's all cleared out now, you can expand your toy room.

My daughter is still young (will be nine next month) but I'm kind of dreading the day she "grows up". I don't think she give all her toys up cold turkey though, if anything I'm kind of worried about her becoming a hoarder.

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by cjefferys
                Wow, they grow up fast, scary ain't it? I remember she had quite a lot of toys in the play room downstairs, but hey, if it's all cleared out now, you can expand your toy room.
                We started the hardwood flooring on Saturday but this is going to be our new rumpus room. I've got all the space I'm ever going to get and i'm good

My daughter is still young (will be nine next month) but I'm kind of dreading the day she "grows up". I don't think she give all her toys up cold turkey though, if anything I'm kind of worried about her becoming a hoarder.
                Oh mine totally is, she's been cleaning her room for a week, it's 10 by 10.....

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

The irony...when they reach your age...they are going to want those toys back, pay premium at eBay 2055, lol...
                  sigpic

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

We started the hardwood flooring on Saturday but this is going to be our new rumpus room. I've got all the space I'm ever going to get and i'm good
                    Yeah, you have a really good space for your stuff, I'm jealous. Oooo, rumpus room! You already have a bunch of awesome movie posters hanging up down there, I'm curious to see the end result, good luck!

Oh mine totally is, she's been cleaning her room for a week, it's 10 by 10.....
                    I feel your pain.

Comment

• sprytel
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 26, 2009

My grandmother hung on to my dad's toys... I remember these big Captain Video army men that I was particularly fond of... And then she hung onto all my older brothers' favorite toys... Billy Blastoff and Matt Mason and old Matchbox Cars... So when I would go visit her, it was always a treat to play with these boxes of toys I couldn't find anywhere else in the world. It was awesome.

When my grandma passed away, I told my dad to keep those boxes of toys and that I would store them myself if necessary. But most of it got thrown out anyhow. "I just threw out the old stuff that nobody would want anyways."

I'm a big believer in holding on to your treasures (Mark Hamill and "Amazing Stories" taught me that when I was a kid!). Losing those toys devastated me. But you know... my dad and my 3 older brothers were totally unphased at that stuff ending up in a dumpster. So I think folks like us may be in the minority.

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

As i loaded the Barbie dreamhouse into the car, i said "You gonna be ok about this?"
                        Wow! Not the dream house. Ugh, I had to sell my childhood Barbies in 89 in a family cross country move. Still stings.
                        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• ScottA
                          Original Member
                          • Jun 25, 2001

Luckily my daughter kept all her collectible, boxed Barbie's after she got married last October. She wants to pass them down to her daughter if she's lucky enough to have a girl one day.
                          sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Hedji
                            Citizen of Gotham
                            • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by sprytel
                            I'm a big believer in holding on to your treasures (Mark Hamill and "Amazing Stories" taught me that when I was a kid!).
                            Along with my Mother, who is a bit of a collector herself, that episode spoke to me in a profound way. I mean, you had Luke Skywalker, in a Spielberg production, telling us it was okay to hang on to our toys, that even better, they would bring us unmeasurable happiness in the twilight of our lives. For me, it's a very moving episode. Should be required viewing for everyone here.

Palitoy, I feel ya buddy. Been there, and still doing that. We through out the Justin Bieber Tour Bus last month. You may laugh, but that was my kid's Cher or Donnie and Marie toy. It felt wrong to get rid of it, but my wife and daughter both agreed we had no room for it. I think it's important to keep choice pieces, or toys that have special meaning. But yeah, the teenage years are every bit as sad and frustrating as you've heard.

Comment

• rykerw1701
                              Persistent Member
                              • Aug 27, 2007

My daughter is 13, and lost interest in toys a while back. I put a lot of Barbie stuff and various princess toys in storage tubs, but I know she doesn't want any of it. My son is 10, and last year I put a lot of the Imaginext stuff he had in tubs. An aircraft carrier, castle, dragon, troll, lots of superheros. Again, he doesn't want it, but I paid a lot for it and was sorry to see it unloved. Thank goodness he has a small but growing collection of Pops or I'd loose my mind.

I think too kids play less with toys and more with video games. His action figure days were far less than mine, and he never got as connected to any toy. I can't even say what his favorite was.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎