Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powersthatbe
    Persistent Member
    • Sep 27, 2010

oh I should say back in the 80s my older brother was a manager for kay-bees for a couple years,every once in a while he bring me home something,we both loved MASK so he would get that mainly and sometimes toy fair type ordering catalogs I remember first seeing robotech toys in one.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Toy Galaxy's history of Toys r us.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Werewolf
        Toy Galaxy's history of Toys r us.

Thanks for posting this video.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

^I always enjoy Toy Galaxy, but that may be their best video yet.

I stopped in the Florence, KY TRU yesterday. There was a simple paper sign on the interior doors that read "Liquidation of this store will begin March 22 or later". Other than that, there was actually some new items in the store, honestly more than I'm used to seeing at the Lexington, KY store. Infinity War figures for one, and I found the DC Multiverse Reaper.

I overheard an employee telling another customer "We know as much as you do". Obviously he had asked about when the store was closing.

As we walked away from the checkout, there was a huge sign near the door reading "We're hiring!". That just goes to show how sudden this changed for the stores not on the initial closing list. :-(

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• ScottA
            Original Member
            • Jun 25, 2001

We went to our TRU last night. It opened here in 1984 and has never been remolded or updated. The mananger and one employee have been at that store since day 1. Both I think are in shock. Can you imagine, 34 years?

We were told they would be business as usual, no liqudation sales "at this time". Maybe they are coming later or maybe they will just close. No one seems to know, expacially not the emplpyees.

It will make the drive to Mego Meet a little less exciting. We typically stop at about 2-3 TRUs on the way up and back. Since our store is so old it was always exciting to see what other stores had we didn't. I'm going to miss that greatly.
            sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by ScottA
              It will make the drive to Mego Meet a little less exciting. We typically stop at about 2-3 TRUs on the way up and back.
              That's one thing I'll really miss, stopping in at a TRU while on the way to somewhere else.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                Eloquent Member
                • Jan 19, 2008

I guess it's time to grow up...

Comment

• hedrap
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 10, 2009

The liquidation is coming in waves. It's like a hostage negotiation. TRU erasure impacts retail product value, building leasing, manufacturing, cargo freight ships, trucking etc...they want to conflate the already planned store closings with the larger news and see if it can make someone bite.

I don't know why Apple doesn't jump in. It would give them a giant retail lab experiment and they're flush with capital that needs to be spent.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                    galactic yo-yo
                    • Apr 6, 2006

CNN says we will know more on Tuesday. Toys R Us is trying to find a way to save about 200 of their better performing stores.

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                      CNN says we will know more on Tuesday. Toys R Us is trying to find a way to save about 200 of their better performing stores.
                      I hope so. 200 is decent number. That's like 4 per state.
                      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• jimbutsu
                        Memory *is* RAM!
                        • Apr 11, 2002

1) Went to the local TRU today and it was mobbed. A rumor got our that everything was 60% off and so people were flooding the location. In reality, an email had gone out to people on TRU's mailing list that the already announced locations, which this was NOT one of, were liquidating and prices were up to 60% off. So these poor employees had to deal with floods of people expecting something that just plain wasn't happening. Made me even less impressed with how TRU leadership is handling all this.

2) Bezos/Amazon should buy TRU and give the name to Gus Lopez for messing with him for no realistic reason years back.
                        "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

I went yesterday for nostalgia's sake and bought an Imaginext DC set. It was busy but not mobbed, with a few markdowns.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• powersthatbe
                            Persistent Member
                            • Sep 27, 2010

yeah it was real busy when I stopped by yesterdaywasn't sure why.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                              galactic yo-yo
                              • Apr 6, 2006

I still think they should go the Hickory Farms route and just have their stores open during the holidays.

Comment

• LordMudd
                                Persistent Member
                                • Aug 22, 2011

Originally posted by powersthatbe
                                yeah it was real busy when I stopped by yesterdaywasn't sure why.
                                Spring Break, worst week of the school year to go shopping.

CCC.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎