Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Iron Mego
    Wake Up Heavy
    • Jan 31, 2010

I guess I could've snapped a few pics on my phone when we went on Sunday, but the place was an absolute mess.
    Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Goblin19
      Didn't realize you were from Akron. I'd throw in Uncle Bills on the northeast Ohio list. That's the only place that I ever saw just about every Mego at. It was unreal because by that time you only saw the big 4 anymore and this store had almost every one. I got Thor, but really desperately wanted Joker, as well.

And, yes, I wish I had pictures of all of those.
      I've never heard of that retailer. Selection sounds great, though. I'm a little southwest of Akron, I grew up with stores like Conley's, Big Wheel, Mr. Wiggs (that was a good one) and Nichol's (which was like a Wal-Mart back in the day).
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Bye R Us...
        sigpic

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
          valar morghulis
          • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          Our mall, Rolling Acres, had Rizzi's and Kay-Bee inside, as well seasonal toys at the anchor stores.
          Ever watch this? I love these dead mall videos..

Comment

• Obibob
            Museum Super Collector
            • Jul 27, 2007

Wow, that video of Rolling Acres Mall really hurts. I'm originally from Cuyahoga Falls (moved to Dallas decades ago) and used to go to Rolling Acres Mall all the time. I remember seeing Escape from New York at the mall cinema on opening night, now it looks like a set from the Walking Dead...sigh

The TRU across the street (on Romig Road) was always good for toy hunting. I remember finding the only 2 McFarland (Spawn) Malebolgias that I ever saw at retail there and I turned a Toy Biz Invisible Woman and Captain Picard (from the Tapestry episode) figure at the same store - do any of you recall that fiasco? Anyway, lots of memories from that neck of the woods. Someone else mentioned Uncle Bill's and Gold Circle - both were great stores. How about Hills and a bit further back in time, Clarkins? That's where I got my first Mego Aquaman! Good times for sure...almost forgot about Zayre's...I picked up the Star Trek Alien Megos there.
            Last edited by Obibob; Mar 13, '18, 10:31 PM.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
              Moderation Engineer
              • Aug 14, 2003

There's an old Gold Circle a couple minutes away from my office that's a Kohls now. Looks exactly the same on the outside. Many of my childhood Megos came from there and Kmart.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

That video (much appreciated), sad and surreal as it is, is also bittersweet. I could recall so many stores, holiday shopping, and good times as I watched it. I was there when it opened (saw a Mego Falcon at Kay-Bee) and shopped there until it closed.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MRP
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 19, 2016

According the the BBC, all 100 Toys R Us stores in the UK are closing because a buyer failed to emerge. They will all close within the next 6 weeks. Nothing on how this affects US stores though.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43401674

-M
                  "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• jimbutsu
                    Memory *is* RAM!
                    • Apr 11, 2002

They're run separately, so it shouldn't have much of any impact - even though from a practical standpoint it might because buyers or bailouts might get even harder to come by here) -- I thought it was funny that the official word on the UK stores all shutting down (much like here in the US, it started with them announcing *some* closures, but obviously that didn't work out) came out as we are basically waiting for the same confirmation from the US, who are in the same situation... just to make it even more confusing than it already is.

I was really sad to hear that all the UK stores were closed down. The only one I'd ever been to there was Milton Keynes, and I thought it was really nice. It was supposed to be one of the locations that survived the initial closures, too...
                    "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

MGA is trying to rally fellow toymakers in a last ditch attempt to save Toys R Us.

MGA CEO Isaac Larian "If there is no Toys “R” Us, I don’t think there is a toy business,”

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• cockyhoskins
                        Career Member
                        • Jan 13, 2009

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 20, 2011

Sounds like the fat lady has sung as far as Toys R Us is concerned. Sad news, but I never found their stores as inviting as Lionel Playworlds or Children's Palace. All of their stores in the Louisville area are always understaffed, over-priced (way) and more disorganized than a local goodwill shop.
                          sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• hedrap
                            Permanent Member
                            • Feb 10, 2009

Might as well just start a "This Is The End" thread to cover everything fading away...

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                              Museum Paramedic
                              • Aug 31, 2005

Yeah, I see the news is even crawling across the CNN ticker. Too bad.

I’m from a city called Evansville. We didn’t get Toys R Us until the latter part of the mid 1980s. So, it was almost too late for me to enjoy. I got the most out of Children’s Palace, which arrived at the beginning of the 1980s. In 1979, we got Kay Bee Toys, at the new mall. Prior to that, we had a couple of locally owned smaller toy stores (Kay Bee sized).

- Ian
                              Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• powersthatbe
                                Persistent Member
                                • Sep 27, 2010

same,TRUs didn't show up in Pittsburgh until the 80s,always had children's palace.I was unaware they had been around for 70 years.It really is a shame kids won't be able to go to and enjoy a big box retail now:( I have three by me within 20 miles.now I just got target,walmart,walgreens,the local comic shop and game stop if I want to buy figures(plus bigbadtoystore online).And I wonder how much of a boom online retailers will get from this?and if TRU will be selling online for a while(there are still exclusive marvel legends I hope to get)

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎