X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.B.
    Guild Navigator
    • Jun 23, 2010

Does anyone remember the Donut Truck?

Not sure if this was just an L.A. thing, but when I was about 3 years old, there were these Donut Trucks that would roam the neighborhoods. Don't remember if it was daily or once a week, but they were full of fresh donuts, pastries and candies. Did some research and the only company I could find providing that service was The Helms Bakery. They were around through '69, when I was 3. For some reason my Mom liked dressing me up like Roy Rogers back then, so when the Apartment Manager where we lived saw the Donut Truck parking in front of our place, he would scream, "Hey Cowboy, the Donut Truck is here!"

Soon the Truck was surrounded by kids. The Driver would open the two back doors and pull out these long wooden/glass drawers, full of fresh donuts.

I remember buying candies like Wax Gums/Teeth, Wax Bottles (filled with God knows what) and Astro Pops.

Truly a magical time.
    You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

That's marvelous, thanks for sharing those memories. I love the design of the truck and your childhood picture.

We were in a rural area and I've never heard of such a service; we just had ice cream trucks in town during the summer.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
      Trek or Treat
      • Jan 20, 2011

We never had anything like that around these parts, just the ice cream trucks, but those pics are very cool, thanks for sharing.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
        Museum Paramedic
        • Aug 31, 2005

Very neat!! Of course, I see donut carts and trucks in NYC all of the time. Of course, it’s a different here than the rest of the country...and much different than where I grew up in Indiana. Never saw donut trucks there.

Those pictures and the nostalgia displayed in them is sure sweet!

- Ian
        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• cjefferys
          Duke of Gloat
          • Apr 23, 2006

Very cool pictures! I've never heard of a donut truck. But then again, I live in a country where it's legally required that there be at least one Tim Hortons for every ten Canadians.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎