X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sideshow Spock
    valar morghulis
    • Mar 8, 2005

How often do you go to the dentist?

It's fair to assume that most of us here are middle-aged (give or take), so I was just wondering how many folks have maintained good dental habits over the years..

All through my teen years I regularly saw a dentist and was always cavity free. Then in my 20s my regular dentist retired, and I went years without seeing one.

When I did finally see one in my early 30s, everything was still good, no real issues. I blew off going again for years at a time.

40s.. that's when things started to go a bit sideways, and I needed several fillings. Also cracked a couple teeth eating popcorn..

Right on the cusp of 50 now, and I started seeing a new dentist. This one is MUCH more thorough than my previous, and has uncovered several significant issues that my previous dentist had been negligent with.

So.. it's gonna be an expensive year.

Let's hear some stories..
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I've been going twice a year regularly for about 20 years for cleanings and x-rays. I did slack in my twenties but once I had insurance, I took advantage of it. And the same dentist the entire time. I hope he's as good as he seems.

I turned 50 a few months ago and haven't had a cavity yet. I brush and gargle twice a day, I'm usually too lazy/hurried to floss.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

i go twice a year as well. there was a period of several years where I did not go at all because the dentist I had gone to since I was a kid was just too dam n expensive, even with insurance, then we switched and like Sideshow, the new dentist uncovered all kinds of things that my old dentist had never mentioned. noting really major I guess, no cavities, but all 4 wisdom teeth got pulled and I had to get a crown. now I jjust go every 6 months

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Twice a year for teeth cleaning.

I brush my teeth once in the morning, once before bedtime. Do the whole routine, extensive brushing, flossing, mouthwash, even waterpick. I also have a stainless steel teeth cleaning pick kit...but I used that sparingly...as it can damage enamel if you are not careful. I hate bad breath on myself and on other people.

I’ve had teeth whitening about five years ago...but my teeth slowly started getting a bit stained again...my teeth have a tad tint of yellowing...due to my bad Coke habit...I know, I should quit, but I’m like a drug addict, Coca Cola addict.
        Last edited by Hector; Mar 7, '18, 9:58 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

• Duncan
          Museum focus-groupie
          • Jun 27, 2009

Twice a year as a kid; stopped in college. I think my last visit was 1990, or so. No cavities. Broke a tooth in 2016 due to a major cavity and had it filled. Might need a crown at some point. I'll probably start going more often, though - at least once a decade (kidding). I'm bitter because I'm pretty sure I originally cracked that tooth while chomping on jawbreakers in 2015, and then bacteria got in through the crack and did their thing. Totally an unforced error.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
            valar morghulis
            • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            I turned 50 a few months ago and haven't had a cavity yet.
            You've got super teeth! Congrats!

Comment

• rf-harris
              • Jan 8, 2018

Have gone 3-4 times till date. Don't go for regular checkups.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                Museum Paramedic
                • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock
                It's fair to assume that most of us here are middle-aged (give or take), so I was just wondering how many folks have maintained good dental habits over the years..

All through my teen years I regularly saw a dentist and was always cavity free. Then in my 20s my regular dentist retired, and I went years without seeing one.

When I did finally see one in my early 30s, everything was still good, no real issues. I blew off going again for years at a time.

40s.. that's when things started to go a bit sideways, and I needed several fillings. Also cracked a couple teeth eating popcorn..

Right on the cusp of 50 now, and I started seeing a new dentist. This one is MUCH more thorough than my previous, and has uncovered several significant issues that my previous dentist had been negligent with.

So.. it's gonna be an expensive year.

Let's hear some stories..

This is almost exactly my dental story; except, I had the expensive year about two years ago. Lots of dental work then...I thought everything was fine...who knew. I bit into some garlic bread and part of a tooth sheared off. Of course, it was going to happen with whatever I ate, at that point. I just didn't realize there was an issue.

Anyhow, I'm back to the twice a year routine.

- Ian
                Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

A LOT NOW.

I had a fear of dentists and spent my adult life going as little as possible. I had a strong oral hygiene tradition that resulted in zero cavaties.

My wife's benefits and my age finally nudged me in the right direction. I'm a bit of a mess in other areas, I wish I had gone twice a year. I get really painful sessions every two months for the past year. Like "go to your ice cave" stuff.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

I was going twice a year, but a couple years ago my dentist retired and I've been lax about finding a new one. Now I think I have a little cavity so I need to get on the stick about finding one. The problem is that I've developed a very sensitive gag reflex (I've always had one but it's gotten worse over the years) so I think I might need to find a dentist that does sedation. I've never had that before so I'm a bit nervous about it.

Comment

• J.B.
                      Guild Navigator
                      • Jun 23, 2010

I went about 30 years without going to the dentist. It has always bothered me that every other medical profession has advanced over the years (to the relief of their patients) with the exception of Dentistry, that still prefers to get medieval on your a5s. I recently started going again about 3 years ago. Now it's twice a year for cleanings. Never had a cavity in my life.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• J.B.
                        Guild Navigator
                        • Jun 23, 2010

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                          valar morghulis
                          • Mar 8, 2005

I dunno, the words "root canal" would strike fear in most people's hearts years ago, now apparently it's no more painful than getting a standard filling, just takes longer and is a little more involved.

I say "apparently" because I've never had one, but will be getting at least two in the coming weeks.

You lucky mugs with the no cavities, have you steered clear of sweets all these years? I'm a sugar freak, and I think that's a big part of my problem. Even thought I've always brushed 2/day and done everything else that's recommended.

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

Yeah, I consciously dropped sugar out of my "Day-to-Day" in 2002. I still get plenty of it in everything i eat i'm sure but i don't put it in coffee and I don't drink soda at all.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

It's all hereditary, my eating habit have been excessive and omnivorous.

And, I did not have the benefit of fluoridation growing up. I attribute part of my oral hygiene success to a twice-daily 60-second gargle of half 3% peroxide & half mouthwash. Kills lots germs, helps your gums, and the peroxide whitens your teeth a bit, too. Also, tongue brushing.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎