X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

RIP David Ogden Stiers...

More and more of my childhood is disappearing. Loved MASH when I was a kid. Would watch it on Monday nights every week. RIP Winchester.

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/davi...sh-1202716860/
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

One of my favorite character and voice actors. RIP sir.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• cjefferys
      Duke of Gloat
      • Apr 23, 2006

Oh man, that's very sad to hear, I watched MASH all the time too. RIP Major Winchester. :(

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

R.I.P.!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

sad news. I believe there are only 4 actors left who were regulars, Alda, Switt, Burghoff, and Farr. RIP!

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

^And Mike Farrell.

Anyone recall Stiers on Mary Tyler Moore immediately before his MASH role? He was the new station manager for a season. I also like him in the Perry Mason TV movies. He was the DA in several and also the blind killer in one of them.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

The man got around, he was Blaine's dad in "Better Off Dead" and the Martian Manhunter in that Justice League pilot. Sad to see him pass.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                Museum Paramedic
                • Aug 31, 2005

RIP Winchester!

In the states, MASH airs regularly on, at least, 4 different networks. I’ve lost track, so it may be 5. It’s still going strong!

- Ian
                Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 20, 2011

Oh man, this is a kick in the gut. I’ve been watching MASH since I was 10 years old and DOS was in a huge chunk of those. I remember not particularly caring for his character when he first showed up opposite Hawkeye and Beej, but as the show went on, I grew to understand and appreciate his character more. Plus, of course, his many other contributions to small and big screens and theater, as well. RIP, sir, many condolences to your family, friends and fans...
                  sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                    ^And Mike Farrell.
                    ugh! how could I forget Farrell. he even lives near me, or used to anyway

Comment

• TrekStar
                      Trek or Treat
                      • Jan 20, 2011

He played his MASH character very well, we didn't want another Frank Burns copycat, so we got the Winchester high class Harvard educated snob to go up against Pierce and Honeycutt and it worked like a charm.

Great tv classic fun, RIP Winchester.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                        • Apr 3, 2007

I was shocked to hear about this. I remember him from MASH and also a good ep of Star Trek TNG. RIP David.
                        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

Sad to hear. I enjoyed him on MASH, and as Blaine's poor father in Better Off Dead. I really felt for that character in the film. Everyone else in his family was nuts, and he portrayed that well.

He also voiced the Penguin in Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman, as well as playing Martain Manhunter in that unsold JL pilot.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎