Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, I guess this is what Hawkman's wings will look like....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

1st link I get text and no pics and second link is fine...I can see the Birdman pic.

Comment

• filmation batman fan
      The Man of Many Voices
      • Aug 30, 2005

Regardless of how they're made, this gives me hope that maybe we'll finally see Hawkman. Personally, I want the SuperFriends version first, along with Giganta so I can complete the Super Friends set. Afterwards, I'd like to see the DC Hawkman for both Justice League and Super Powers. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment

• jwyblejr
        galactic yo-yo
        • Apr 6, 2006

I'm guessing if we do get a Hawkman figure,he'll come in a flesh colored outfit? I don't think those wings would work on him if he doesn't have some kind of bodysuit. Might be another reason why they went this route.

Comment

• wise guy
          Career Member
          • Dec 29, 2014

What kind of wings does Silver Swan have ? I would not mind Mego Falcon wings
          because that is the wings that Mego did( not cardboard )

Comment

• jeffbearco
            Persistent Member
            • Mar 27, 2011

Those do kinda look OK on BirdMan. I'm getting used to it at least.

For Hawkman, I would prefer at least printed cloth over a plastic armature, or even a thicker wire than they use for capes. I would like to think that is how Mego would have done it. Something like that could have a velcro patch in the middle to stick it to the back of the figure.

For my Hawkman custom, I initially ran a piece of grey felt through the inkjet printer and printed wings with detailed feathers on both sides. Maybe I would have been more satisfied if FTC had printed those BirdMan wings on felt instead of plastic covered cardboard.

JeffBearCO

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I do not want the Mego Tarzan treatment on Hawkman, yuck.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• huedell
                Museum Ball Eater
                • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                I feel the opposite.

Every Mego or Re-Mego ever made without the body costume looks like an unholy marriage of plastic and cloth.

Every Tarzan and Wonder Woman looks like a play toy.

Thank goodness FTC is not trying to be something it's not: Mezco... Hot Toys... etc. If they WERE, they would be WAY challenged with price-point... and, at that point, like, why use the vintage Mego body design anyway?

That said Conan is the true precedent that says "Meh... its cheap... it'll work"

And FTC seems to have followed suit with, IMHO, two of their ugliest looking figures: Martain Manhunter and Plastic Man.

With those two being done in that cost-effective way, I can't see how they wouldn't do so for Hawkman... but then there's always the "attaching of the wings" aspect... the "onesie" may be utilized for that aspect after all. Or, maybe they'll go with a flesh sleeveless top and leave the legs and arms bare?
                "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• huedell
                  Museum Ball Eater
                  • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                  I feel the opposite.

Every Mego or Re-Mego ever made without the body costume looks like an unholy marriage of plastic and cloth.

Every Tarzan and Wonder Woman looks like a play toy.

Thank goodness FTC is not trying to be something it's not: Mezco... Hot Toys... etc. If they WERE, they would be WAY challenged with price-point... and, at that point, like, why use the vintage Mego body design anyway?

That said: Conan is the true "nude Mego" precedent that says "Meh... its cheap... it'll work"

And FTC seems to have followed suit with, IMHO, two of their ugliest looking figures: Martain Manhunter and Plastic Man.

With those two being done in that cost-effective way, I can't see how they wouldn't do so for Hawkman... but then there's always the "attaching of the wings" aspect... the "onesie" may be utilized for that aspect after all. Or, maybe they'll go with a flesh sleeveless top and leave the legs and arms bare?
                  "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

A flesh sleeveless top would look ridiculous. So it will probably happen. Price point on these should allow for better execution than we are getting. The haphazard consistency makes it really easy for me to take a lot of passes on FTC's product. The 66 Catwoman was such a let down that I saw coming a mile away after the crapfest that was Batgirl.
                    Last edited by thunderbolt; Mar 18, '18, 3:17 AM.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• huedell
                      Museum Ball Eater
                      • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                      A flesh sleeveless top would look ridiculous.
                      Likely I personally would anticipate that middle-of-the-road "exposed plastic joints contrasted against cloth" choice as just a half-hearted attempt to please the Tarzan-hating and Conan-loving crowd while a solve for the wing-mounting dilemma w/out added costs for flesh leggings and "armmings".

Although precedent says it won't happen, I'd suggest to them to go full bodysuit... make a smooth looking figure... cover those joints for cripe's sake. This ain't your son's action figure line.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

There's no disputing taste, but Conan is usually lauded as one of Mego's best figures; it certainly wasn't one of Mego's "cheap" efforts.

Customizers often feature "nude" figures, not peach bodysuits. And I know of several collectors who have displayed their T2 Tarzans without the bodysuit, only the corduroy loincloth. It looks better, IMO.

I would have done Plastic man in an entirely screened suit. At any rate, he needs the leggings to cover his feet--or new foot molds. I'm fine with Martian Manhunter's clothes--the head is what's ugly. Cyborg had exposed "skin" too. Of course this all is highly subjective--I like vintage Mego WW, and I felt Brainiac should have had green leggings and real white boots. You're advocating, what--a Starfire approach? That's fine if FTC wants to do cardboard wings and screen-printed harness. That's not my preference personally and I think FTC could do better. But it will require tooling costs to do so and FTC will likely avoid that. I firmly believe that Mego would have stepped up to bat with Hawkman and featured a yellow harness and molded backpack wings, but of course that's supposition tinged with a little wish-fulfillment.

As far a joints showing, phhttt. These are dollies. And Mego showed joints often. I'm not very concerned, truly, about a Hawk-suit, as I have terrific customizing options. I'm much, much more worried about the head and its scale.
                        Last edited by PNGwynne; Mar 18, '18, 8:26 AM. Reason: typo
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• huedell
                          Museum Ball Eater
                          • Dec 31, 2003

Its subjective... I could say a lot more... mention what clothed "dollies" vs. "action figures" at a low price point has meant to joint covering aesthetics over the years... and how Conan's economically clever and nice looking accessory tooling is what has been the stand-out on that figure in spite of its proportions... yada... yada...

But, really, it being subjective is what it really all comes down to.

For me, covering up those joints is an easy win every time.

For some reason Robin's legs seem to be an exception, and seem to work... probably because of the nylon jacket/briefs combo and/or because Robin's slender comic-book physique doesn't strike one as Conan-esque and translates well enough, balancing out that aforementioned joint-showing aspect.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

I'd assume they would use the Martian Manhunter's Harness/Trunks combo for Katar so probably bare chested.
                            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎