X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YoungOnce
    Career Member
    • Aug 29, 2007

Batman 66 DVD Set

I know that I'm really late to the party on this and most of you are way past it, but I just got the Batman 66 Set for Christmas and for the first time ever, watched the whole thing in sequence.

Wow... What a different perspective that little difference makes. Watching in syndication as a child and an adult, and not knowing which season I was watching, it all just flowed together into a wash. But now being able to see the difference in tone between the first and second seasons is an eye-opener. How I wish that the whole run had been more the tone of the first season.

Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but after all these years, I had lumped the whole Batman series into one "camp". But that first season was such a perfect balance of humor and Batman-ness.
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

^Yes, they lost the quickly lost their balance. You can even argue toward the end of season 1 it was starting to slip. A good reason for all of that was Lorenzo Semple Jr became less and less involved in the scripts. He wrote the "Bat-bible" and set the tone for how the show worked. He should have been an on-hands producer, but I believe he was living in Spain at the time!

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Mr.Marion
      Permanent Member
      • Sep 15, 2014

I've been looking for a Blu-ray copy, I think I was the 2nd leading bidder 5-8 times.
      I watched every episode a few times over I never noticed season one being that much better than season two other than Frank Gorshin's incredible Riddler performance.

I think the show made villains were the down fall of the show. Any episode featuring The big 4 was watchable.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

In Season 2, Adam gets "in" on the joke a bit too much. By season 3 it's not so much a sly parody as it is an absurd farce. There are moments and episodes that harken back to the earlier ones.

I don't think it's so much the villains but the tone. The tone had changed by the time characters like Egghead were introduced.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

It seems season 1 was based directly on Courageous Cat and Minute Mouse

By season 2 it had turned into more of a Lost In Space

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
            I've been looking for a Blu-ray copy, I think I was the 2nd leading bidder 5-8 times.
            I watched every episode a few times over I never noticed season one being that much better than season two other than Frank Gorshin's incredible Riddler performance.

I think the show made villains were the down fall of the show. Any episode featuring The big 4 was watchable.
            If the Riddler was actually in season two he'd have been great. Tut, Shame, Eggead and Bookworm were all very enjoyable made for tv villains, so I really don't see them as a downfall.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• YoungOnce
              Career Member
              • Aug 29, 2007

Yeah, the humor was there in the first season but the comic book menace seemed to be more prevalent and taken just a tick more seriously. Made a good balance.

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

I remember the first time I ever really saw any 1966 Batman shows was in my teen years, I'll never forget the stark contrast when the show rolled over from the 3rd season to the original pilot show.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• toothaction
                  Career Member
                  • Jul 15, 2017

I'll never forget that I had no idea that my second favorite show from my youth was a comedy until I saw a screening of the movie in my twenties.
                  Last edited by toothaction; Feb 27, '18, 2:15 PM.
                  >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

Didn't care about quality changes as a kid. Don't care as an adult. I can find enjoyment in any episode from any season, much like Star Trek. Pop one in and escape.

Comment

• TrekStar
                      Trek or Treat
                      • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                      If the Riddler was actually in season two he'd have been great. Tut, Shame, Eggead and Bookworm were all very enjoyable made for tv villains, so I really don't see them as a downfall.
                      I agree, Gorshin was very well missed in season 2, Austin really didn't do much for me as the Riddler, he should have been used as another new villain, probably would have been better off plus as we all know the Puzzler was a replacement criminal which again wasn't terrible but didn't do much for me. Gorshin returned for his one opening episode of season 3 which made you think he would return with maybe 2 more season 3 episodes but it didn't happen unfortunately, it should have since Riddler would have been much much better than some of those one and done season 3 episode villains, and we know who they are. What would have been very cool is of season 3 had Riddler in a 2 or 3 part episode team up with Joker or Penguin.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

^Anything would have been better than Nora Clavicle. The absolute nadir of the series. Everyone had just given up.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Mikey
                          By season 2 it had turned into more of a Lost In Space
                          That should get you banned here lol jk.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

I agree about the tone shift, I'm actually not a great fan of season 3 in general and Batgirl seems to me, then and now, a last gasp.

I think there is also an unfortunate writing shift from Semple to Stanley Ralph Ross. Another thing that is obvious is the decreasing budget from season to season.

The villain clunkers for me are Archer, Minerva, and Clavical. Mileage varies on the others but I enjoy them. I like Astin's Riddler quite a lot actually, he's doing some interesting stuff in his episodes and that lair is killer.

I'm a huge fan, I could discuss and debate the show ad nauseam. I love minutiae about the sets, guest actors, and make-up/costumes.
                            Last edited by PNGwynne; Feb 27, '18, 5:08 PM.
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• YoungOnce
                              Career Member
                              • Aug 29, 2007

image.jpg

This might be a crazy perception... But the 1st season had the closest vibe to the painted Batman 66 trading cards. Which I love by the way and I don't really know why. They just feel so Batman...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎