Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dark Shadow
    Creature Of The Night
    • May 14, 2011

My earliest memories of Dark Shadows are of the 1897 period from the summer of '69. I have the individual DVD box sets, and just completed the entire run again a few months ago. 1897 is still my favorite period, it's just so well written and chock full of great characters.

I have since found a blog "Dark Shadows Every Day" where the blogger writes about each episode, not really a synopsis, but more of an analysis of the serial narrative aspect. He hasn't quite finished the series yet, he's currently on episode 1150. Some of it is snark, some of it is out there, but there is a great deal of spot-on analysis and behind the scenes trivia that I find fascinating. He did a real good job of explaining why 1897 worked so well, how the writing team really came together plus the introduction of Quentin.

I started at episode 210, and have read straight through 758 so far. Once I read through this completely, I plan on watching the series again (from 210 forward) and follow each episode by reading the corresponding blog.

Here's the episode guide: https://darkshadowseveryday.com/episode-guide/

Not likely everyone's cup of tea, but give it shot and see what you think.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

^I've been following Danny's blog too! Fun stuff, and very insightful, with just enough snark to not take things too seriously.

I check in with the DS Wiki as well, but by it's nature it's more cold and sterile, and no where near as entertaining as DS Every Day.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Mary Canary
        Career Member
        • Jun 21, 2017

I love Dark Shadows. I was introduced to it by way of the NBC reboot series from the early 1990s. Lasted less than a season but was must-see tv for me every week. Then I went back and watched the 1960s series. I haven't actually watched the entire run of it, but I love the early b/w episodes pre-Barnabas and his introduction to the show. I always get a little lost in the 1790s, just like Victoria Winters. I should try getting back into it when she returns to present day (1960s present day). I had high hopes for the Tim Burton / Johnny Depp movie but it was too much of a joke.

Another fun DS blog to follow is the Collinsport Historical Society: http://www.collinsporthistoricalsociety.com/

Comment

• Dark Shadow
          Creature Of The Night
          • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
          ^I've been following Danny's blog too! Fun stuff, and very insightful, with just enough snark to not take things too seriously.

I check in with the DS Wiki as well, but by it's nature it's more cold and sterile, and no where near as entertaining as DS Every Day.

Chris
          I really enjoy Danny's sense of humor...sharp guy. Reading his blog reminds me of how much I looked forward to reading Erma Bombeck's column back in the day, similar style. I like his running themes: Vicki Ruins Everything; Ta-DAH!; The Worst Actor Who Ever Appeared on Dark Shadows; Stand Next To Barnabas; Junior Detectives; etc.

Did you start with 210 or pick up later on?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Another fun DS blog to follow is the Collinsport Historical Society: http://www.collinsporthistoricalsociety.com/
            Yes, I like that one too. Also enjoy their podcast, although I personallywish they focused more on the TV episodes, and not the audio dramas, since I haven't gotten into those yet.

Did you start with 210 or pick up later on?
            I started watching the series with 210, and also went back and read all of DS Ever Day's entries from that point on, then got caught up. I read along after each batch of episodes I watch. I think the blog starts with 210 anyway.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Dark Shadow
              Creature Of The Night
              • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by PNGwynne
              And, I really wish I had gotten the DS reMegos!
              I'm hoping Marty Abrams will pick up the license...a lifelong dream come true.

I started watching the series with 210, and also went back and read all of DS Ever Day's entries from that point on, then got caught up. I read along after each batch of episodes I watch. I think the blog starts with 210 anyway.

Chris
              Cool, that seems like the best way to do it. Yeah, the blog starts with 210 and Danny keeps saying that he's not interested in doing anything prior to "Opening the Box", but I hope he changes his mind once he completes the run.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

I'm updating this long dormant thread I created to say I FINALLY made it through all 1225 episodes of Dark Shadows! After initially binging it on Prime, I switched to tubi, dropped out for about a year mid-Leviathan storyline, then jumped back in during the heart of the pandemic. I then got to the end, and started streaming the initial 209 episodes labeled "Dark Shadows: The Beginning" on tubi. The never-ending "David tries to kill his Father and Burke gets blamed for it" storyline took it's toll on me, and I dropped out for several months again. But this year, I got back into it, and I must say, minus that initial storyline, I enjoyed the pre-Barnabas era, especially once Laura the Phoenix showed up!

Just for kicks I watched the first three episodes with Barnabas (210-212), and now I feel I can take a break for a long, LONG time, at least as far as rewatching it in order, anyway.

It was a heck of a ride, and it makes me want merchandise (especially Megos) even more!
                sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

Back in the day my older sis LOVED Dark Shadows.

She introduced me to Star Trek, Mission Impossible and many more late 60's TV series --- which I eventually loved

Just could never get into Dark Shadows

Thought it was boring and never had a proper conclusion for the week

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                    Creature Of The Night
                    • May 14, 2011

I'm updating this long dormant thread I created to say I FINALLY made it through all 1225 episodes of Dark Shadows! After initially binging it on Prime, I switched to tubi, dropped out for about a year mid-Leviathan storyline, then jumped back in during the heart of the pandemic. I then got to the end, and started streaming the initial 209 episodes labeled "Dark Shadows: The Beginning" on tubi. The never-ending "David tries to kill his Father and Burke gets blamed for it" storyline took it's toll on me, and I dropped out for several months again. But this year, I got back into it, and I must say, minus that initial storyline, I enjoyed the pre-Barnabas era, especially once Laura the Phoenix showed up!

Just for kicks I watched the first three episodes with Barnabas (210-212), and now I feel I can take a break for a long, LONG time, at least as far as rewatching it in order, anyway.

It was a heck of a ride, and it makes me want merchandise (especially Megos) even more!
                    Congrats! I'm glad to hear that you found enjoyment in the first 209 episodes. It usually gets such negative panning that I often wonder if I'm alone in my appreciation. As for Megos...if that auction for those hand-made figures hasn't served as a wake up call, then I doubt anything ever will. My wild assumption is that Pierson is being a jerk about the licensing (if he's even still in charge).
                    Last edited by Dark Shadow; Jul 30, '22, 1:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎