X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Dark Shadows binge-watching on Amazon Prime

Anyone else still watching Dark Shadows on Prime? I watch at least two episodes a night. Perfect way to wind down before bed. I started when the Barnabas storyline began, and am now up to the story where David is trapped in the mausoleum's secret room. I remember part of this storyline from Sci-Fi's replays in the 90s.

I'm loving the hell out of it. If I make it through before Amazon pulls it off of Prime, I may go back and watch the pre-Barnabas stories. But I got a LONG way to go!

Chris
    sigpic
  • johnnystorm
    Hot Child in the City
    • Jul 3, 2008

Interesting you say this, as my wife and I just started watching DS on Hulu. I never really watched it back in the day, and kinda just got caught up in it. Just finished Season One. It's pretty addicting.
    I get a kick out of how often someone screws up a line and has to get back on track.
    Only thing that bothered me is how quickly Barnabus adapts to modern times. For a guy imprisoned for a couple centuries, he understands electricity, money, clothing, women's lib, etc. Do they ever explain this?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

^Oh, it's on Hulu now too? Wow, I didn't know that.

Yes, he does adapt quickly, but we never are really shown just WHAT he did to Willie. We know he bet him and put him under his control. So maybe Willie explained a lot to him on command, or he may have even been able to read his mind. Although he couldn't seem to do that with Maggie...

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

One thing that annoys me is that now I'm into the color episodes, every once in a while you get a bad quality black and white episode thrown in. I guess the original color master is lost, and this is one of those kinescope copies or some such?

I do have to say that now having watched the episodes filmed in B&W, the show had a sheen of atmosphere that color strips away. While the color adds to the 60s garishness of it, it takes away some of the Val Lewton-like shadows the series originally had going on.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

^I always preferred the black and white episodes...gave it the old Universal horror feel.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Question for DS fans.

I got into the show when it came back in the early 80s, I think on NBC. I remember watching the first episode they aired, it was in colour. Am i misremembering that or did they skip the BW shows for that run?
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

They must have skipped to the color episodes. The change to color happened around the conclusion of the initial Barnabas storyline.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

Yeah I assume that's what they did, I guess I assumed Barnabas was on the show in the BW days too.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

^He debuted during the B&W period, about a year into the run I believe. The first storyline where he kidnaps Maggie and tries to make her into Josette was in B&W.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Ah I wasn't sure. I love DS but i have trouble keeping track of the storylines and such.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

My memories of watching it on Sci-Fi in the 90s are very vague, and what I saw was spotty spread across the series. But I loved it then, and now. My Dad always told me about it. He got hooked on it in first run when he'd come in from work.

I get the storylines mixed up too. I keep expecting Quentin to show up, but I gotta go to the 1790s first!

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

When I was a child, Dark Shadows reruns were must-see TV after school. I recall them with Batman '66 and Little Rascals. I also recall wanting Barnabas merchandise but it was long gone by then. I really had no memory of storylines, I was much more familiar with the DS film which was rerun often. Like you, Chris, I watched the soap intermittently in the '90s on SciFi and then had a better sense of it. I'm not sure why I never taped it.

I sort of want the dvds, but my memory of the show is that the quality is uneven, though I like that flying-by-the-seat-of-your-pants tone. I'm trialing Amazon Prime, so I guess I should watch it there. This thread is interesting.

And, I really wish I had gotten the DS reMegos!
                        Last edited by PNGwynne; Mar 1, '18, 5:57 PM.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

^You and me both on those ReMegos. They went quickly!

I just hope it stays on Prime and Hulu long enough to get through the run. Averaging at least 2 episodes a night, it is still going to take me a couple of years to get through this!

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

Now deep into the 1795 storyline. I only seen snippets of these episodes on the "Vampire's Curse" compilation video. My wife has been semi-involved in my binge-watching, until now. The period drama has drawn her in! BWAHAHAHA!!!

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

Now I'm into the 1897 storyline, which is apparently the most popular period of the show, and was definitely the height of its popularity in it's initial run. I can see why. David Selby is just as good, if not better than advertised, as the somehow-lovable rogue, Quentin. I do recall watching a good chunk of this period on the Sci-Fi channel in the 90s. This is what hooked me on the show, even though I didn't get to see every episode in order.

Anyone else still binging at the moment?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎