Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mego-scale knit cap (stocking/toboggan cap)?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Mego-scale knit cap (stocking/toboggan cap)?

Does anyone know of a Mego-scale molded knit cap. like a winter stocking or toboggan cap?

I suppose it would be possible to sculpt, sew, or print one, but I thought perhaps someone here knew of a molded one from another toy or line.

Thank you!
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.
  • CrimsonGhost
    Often invisible
    • Jul 18, 2002

Didn't the Monkees Mike Nesmith figure have one? Or not? Now all I can remember is him not having one in the photos...
    Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I think he had a cloth one, which disappointed me. That seldom looks good scale-wise; imagine Green goblin with a cloth cap--yecch.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
        Moderation Engineer
        • Aug 14, 2003

I have a vague memory that one of the Paco guys had one that could be exacto-knifed away. Or maybe a Pez that could be Dremeled? I personally like the AJ spy hat, but ya gotta need black.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
          Often invisible
          • Jul 18, 2002

Maybe this is a dumb idea, but if you cut the finger off of a knit glove, somewhere around the middle, and folded up the bottom, would that work? Maybe a child's glove? I think they're kind of stretchy.

I kind of hope that works. I can think of a couple of characters I would love to make that have a knit hat.
          Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

what's coming with Mr. Freeze's goons?
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• megowgsh
              Customego HoF Curator
              • Nov 19, 2003

Would the AJ secret spy outfit cap work?

Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• jwyblejr
                galactic yo-yo
                • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                I have a vague memory that one of the Paco guys had one that could be exacto-knifed away. Or maybe a Pez that could be Dremeled? I personally like the AJ spy hat, but ya gotta need black.

Maybe make a mold of a Pez hat. Santa should work.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Lots of good ideas, thanks.

It needs to be red. I may try Pez or polymer clay. I'll try fabric as a last resort. I'm not familiar with all the Paco figures, I don't think any of the pirates would work. I know they did some military ones, too, though.

I was really hoping FTC would do a rubber one for Monkee Mike and offer it in various colors. There's a very nice GI Joe classic collection version, maybe it could be shrunk in acetone.

Comment

• sprytel
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 26, 2009

I really think you should reconsider fabric. I think a sewn knit hat could still look good... and nothing could be more Mego than fabric.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

It's not an impossibility, but it would take a defter hand than mine to make a fabric one that looks good. These are the times I miss Jessica and Theressa.

And actually, there are many more molded items of Mego headgear than cloth ones, though Mego would have probably gone the AJ route. A molded one is just my preference, if possible.
                      Last edited by PNGwynne; Feb 24, '18, 10:41 AM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                        Maybe this is a dumb idea, but if you cut the finger off of a knit glove, somewhere around the middle, and folded up the bottom, would that work? Maybe a child's glove? I think they're kind of stretchy.

I kind of hope that works. I can think of a couple of characters I would love to make that have a knit hat.
                        I might try this if I can find a fine-enough knit. I did find tiny pom-poms at Pat Catan's.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                          I have a vague memory that one of the Paco guys had one that could be exacto-knifed away.
                          In checking Google images, one of the Paco Magnificent Team has a sculpted knit cap as part of his head.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

I bet you could find something in red like that closer to XMas.
                            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Timothy2251
                              Jerks beef with Ten Bears
                              • Mar 15, 2008

Just a thought, but would the socks on Figures Toy Company's website work for a knit cap? Just a thought!
                              "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎