Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jacoblb
    Persistent Member
    • May 7, 2009

I wrapped up watching the show the other night. I liked the show, but did not love it. Some episodes dragged. Some characters you want to strangle. My gripe was probably a stupid one in that I wish the robot looked closer to the original. Sometimes I wonder why I.P. across the board in many movies or TV get bought only to make things so different that a new creation could have been invented instead. I'm sure the thought process is creative types didn't want to retread what came before, which begs the question if it's so different why call it something it is not? This is why Marvel has had success with films based on comics. They are true to the spirit for the most part. My co-workers often ask me why in comics is Thor a woman or Steve Rogers isn't Cap? I tell them even in comics they're all about gender-bending and race swapping because they want to write about the modern world and it's ego driven too. Creative types want to have material that stands apart from others. I tell them some writers don't want to be the 100th writer to tell a story about a white guy, the same writer will feel like they have nothing new to add or standout. Now that person's legacy can be I wrote a female Thor and Bullseye or a black Captain America. I wonder if the LIS writer's staff was the same way.

I thought the new LIS robot was a cross between a Guyver suit and the TV heads from the SAGA comic book. I'm hoping it'll evolve into something like the old robot. Having little to no knowledge of the original show, I can't compare. I know the original had a quirky Doctor and the show was supposed to be campy and later on had ridiculous carrot aliens. I don't care that Judy was black or that how they replaced Bill Mummy's part with a woman taking on his name, but wasn't the old show known for the Smith fella being the standout character? Why wasn't Parker Posey's character written in such a way that she can chew the scene and be the breakout like the old man was?

Comment

• The Bat
      Batman Fanatic
      • Jul 14, 2002

Well said!!
      sigpic

Comment

• drquest
        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
        • Apr 17, 2012

I watched the last two episodes last night. I enjoyed just about all of the show. The production quality is very high, and I for one want a Chariot to drive around, how cool are those?

The robot bugged me a little in the beginning but I appreciated how he was used. In general I got an Iron Giant feeling out of him, including the way he can put himself back together.

The Robinson's themselves also grew on me, and the actor playing Will really knocked it out of the park I think since a ton of his scenes were with the robot who didn't really talk any. I started liking Don as well, but Dr. Smith's motivations seemed sort of all over the place. Also some of the plot points were really out there, and some odd decisions were made, but nothing that I couldn't overlook.

I'm looking forward to the next season!
        Danny(Drquest)
        Captain Action HQ
        Retro shirts and stuff
        More retro shirts
        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by drquest
          I watched the last two episodes last night. I enjoyed just about all of the show. The production quality is very high, and I for one want a Chariot to drive around, how cool are those?

The robot bugged me a little in the beginning but I appreciated how he was used. In general I got an Iron Giant feeling out of him, including the way he can put himself back together.

The Robinson's themselves also grew on me, and the actor playing Will really knocked it out of the park I think since a ton of his scenes were with the robot who didn't really talk any. I started liking Don as well, but Dr. Smith's motivations seemed sort of all over the place. Also some of the plot points were really out there, and some odd decisions were made, but nothing that I couldn't overlook.

I'm looking forward to the next season!
          sigpic

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
            valar morghulis
            • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by The Bat
            I just watched the first two episode as well and agree with your assessment. So far I'm not impressed...but I hear it gets better with the 3rd one?
            Nope. The 3rd was a bad bottle-episode.

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock
              Nope. The 3rd was a bad bottle-episode.
              Ugh, you're right...watched it last night.
              sigpic

Comment

• johnmiic
                Adrift
                • Sep 6, 2002

I finished all 10 eps and, I guess it's not a spoiler here, but Will punishes the Robot for hurting someone by making him walk off a cliff? This robot has been portrayed as near-indestructable and it basically walks off a not very high cliff and proceeds to fall apart like a Figures Toy Co./CTVT action figure? I mean does that mean they're doing the tie-in merch. or something? One of the few things that bugged me.

The show is a pretty entertaining sci-fi series. I think it takes its cues from Walking Dead. Its more about survival than silly camp gimmicks. Even the plot-line about the planet's unusual orbit is from the original 6 eps. of the `60's LIS and it's made to be a very good sub-plot in this show. The cliffhanger has me jazzed to see Season 2. I wonder if it will follow the storyline Billy Mummy had in the LIS comic book. Some of the flash-backs hint that's they way they might go next season.

Comment

• haggis
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 17, 2008

This show is worth a watch(a Timex, not a Rolex). I was never a HUGE fan of the original but enough interest was there to check out this reboot. I don't mind the new robot at all.
                  No exclusives and no chase figures, please - I'm Canadian!

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

I finished watching it last week, it wasn't amazing but it was entertaining and well done. I'd be in for for a second season.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

I'm having a lot of trouble getting through episode three. So boring, and kinda stupid.

Comment

• Mikey
                        Verbose Member
                        • Aug 9, 2001

Got Netflix for a free month so I started watching LIS

Up to episode 3

Kinda reminds me of the Earth 2 series from the 90's

I don't love it but am still interested enough to keep watching - so far.

The girl that plays Judy reminds me of a young Rae Dawn Chong

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                          Moderation Engineer
                          • Aug 14, 2003

Remember the days when we'd be trying to track down episodes and burn them to a DVD Mike? I like this show and was really happy when they announced it would get a second season. I won't spoil anything other than to say season 1 ends on a cliffhanger.

Comment

• Mikey
                            Verbose Member
                            • Aug 9, 2001

I remember Steve --- I still watch my Twilight Zones regularly

I finished Lost in Space … I liked it …

Hopefully Netflix will gimme another freebee month next year AFTER season-2 has been released

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Glad you liked it, Mike.

The kid was great, a worthy successor to Bill Mumy. Way better than the kid from the movie, he was terrible.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

One of my favorite scenes is when the Jupiter 2 breaks free from the ice glacier enclosure and hearing the classic theme music...that was a goosebumps moment for me...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎