Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fallensaviour
    Talkative Member
    • Aug 28, 2006

Growing up my parents owned a few video stores so I can understand your desire to recreate this.
    Nothing beats the feel of just walking into a video store.

Anyway a few box covers I remember being pretty cool.
    The terminator
    Conan
    Mutant hunters
    Scanners
    Rabid
    Class of 1984
    Evil dead
    Young warriors
    Hands of steel
    Space hunter
    Ice pirates
    Time bandits
    Hercules (Lou Ferrigno)
    Monster squad
    2020 Texas gladiators or Texas gladiators 2020 (can’t remember exact title)
    The Texas chainsaw massacre
    Deathstalker
    Barbarella
    Trancers
    “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Gorn Captain
      Invincible Ironing Man
      • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by Mikey
      But I bet some VHS cult classics were banned at the time in Europe ...... Namely Nazi exploitation films

Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS was the pinnacle of this genre
      I remember those. Oddly enough, that one played in my home town, general release, without any fuss.
      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Gorn Captain
        Invincible Ironing Man
        • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by cjefferys
        Dude lives next to Germany, he could probably get some wild videos for the adult section.
        Europe is very lenient concerning those things. The European cut, especially for horror movies, shows much more gore.
        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Gorn Captain
          Invincible Ironing Man
          • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by mego maniac mark
          Very cool idea!
          Will you have a partition in the corner with a curtain entrance for the adult section?

My go to video store back in the day would have all the boxes on display with a card attached by rubber band. You had to bring the card to the register to rent the video. All the new releases had a gold star, and were always tough to get. We had to befriend the clerk to see what was in the stacks that were just returned.
          I would rent any comedy that was a new release and always go to the classics comedies or horror if nothing new was available.
          I remember those cards. And me cursing when the last one was gone!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Oh my gosh, Mausoleum was actually in that pic several pages back. Hadn't thought of that movie in years. Hot chick turns into a nasty zombie hag. It's like a whole movie with the bathtub lady from The Shining. Scared the beejeezus out of me.

Did anyone mention Porky's? You gotta have at least the first one in there. Also the original Evil Dead.

My friends and I rented A LOT of R and Not Rated films from a video store owner who should have known better. He'd occasionally give us a raised eyebrow, but he's still let 11 year olds walk out with some truly smutty films. That guy would be in a WORLD of trouble for that nowadays. But I thank him for it.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
              I remember those. Oddly enough, that one played in my home town, general release, without any fuss.
              To be honest, being a HUGE Hogan's Heroes fan I only watched Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS because it was filmed on the old 40 acres Hogan's Heroes set.

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                Oh my gosh, Mausoleum was actually in that pic several pages back. Hadn't thought of that movie in years. Hot chick turns into a nasty zombie hag. It's like a whole movie with the bathtub lady from The Shining. Scared the beejeezus out of me.
                You forgot to mention how her *ahem* anatomy turn into a pair of snapping gargoyles! It's a great flick that is ripe for rediscovery. It's over the top, lots of green 80s lighting, and I get spooked out by just about any movie centered around a cemetery, crypt, mortuary, etc.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                  Invincible Ironing Man
                  • Feb 28, 2008

So far, this month brought me Evil Dead, The Exorcist, Mad Max II - Road Warrior and Return of the Killer Tomatoes (with George Clooney).
                  I really feel there should be a healthy dose of (bad) B-movies in there.
                  So much to choose from for next month.

Anybody remember The Dobermann Gang? I loved those movies as a kid...

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎