Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

If you want your faux video store to look 80's authentic, don't forget the little plywood room behind the shower curtain

Comment

• Iron Mego
      Wake Up Heavy
      • Jan 31, 2010

Xtro was a box that always intrigued me, but I never rented the movie. Finally saw it a couple years ago and really regret not having seen it when I was young. I think my mind would have been blown!
      Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• EmergencyIan
        Museum Paramedic
        • Aug 31, 2005

I never had any interest in these, whatsoever, but do you guys remember those Faces of Death videos at your local video store? Seems like I passed the shelf they were on for years. People must have rented those.

- Ian
        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Tron, Dragonslayer and Krull.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
            I never had any interest in these, whatsoever, but do you guys remember those Faces of Death videos at your local video store? Seems like I passed the shelf they were on for years. People must have rented those.

- Ian
            I never wanted to see them when they came out because I knew they depicted real deaths.

At a party at my nephews' house (in the mid-late 90's) my nephew rented them.

Didn't wanna watch them but did.

They were not what I expected ..... most of it was vintage footage from WW2 and what looked like old National Geographic edit floor footage.

Faces of Death was only scary to people that had never seen them --- Expecting way worse than expected.

Secretly was happy they were a yawn-fest

Comment

• EmergencyIan
              Museum Paramedic
              • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by Mikey
              I never wanted to see them when they came out because I knew they depicted real deaths.

At a party at my nephews' house (in the mid-late 90's) my nephew rented them.

Didn't wanna watch them but did.

They were not what I expected ..... most of it was vintage footage from WW2 and what looked like old National Geographic edit floor footage.

Faces of Death was only scary to people that had never seen them --- Expecting way worse than expected.

You learn something new everyday. I had no idea, but am, in a way, glad to know this. Until a moment ago, I thought they were what is known as snuff films.

- Ian
              Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
                You learn something new everyday. I had no idea, but am, in a way, glad to know this. Until a moment ago, I thought they were what is known as snuff films.

- Ian
                I actually did too until I seen them.

Another subject that makes up a bulk of their footage in old vintage B&W blurry prison executions and stuff.

Hooded guy in electric chair shot from far away --- didn't even know when he was alive and when he got shocked.

French murderer guy from the 1920's getting his head chopped off by guillotine shot on nasty B&W film from what looks like 1/2 mile away

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Mikey

Oh yeah, I remember seeing them at a video rental store when I lived in Florida in the early 90's (I had never been exposed to them before because they were illegal in Canada for years back then). I was a bit curious because they were "forbidden" in my home country, but was too scared to rent them due to their reputation. When I finally watched one at a party years later, I was like "That's it?" and a lot of the footage was laughably fake.

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

I watched Faces of Death in college, and can't remember any of it. Most of it was debunked as fake.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                      Invincible Ironing Man
                      • Feb 28, 2008

Some great choices here, and I'm happy to see that some of my favorites got some love!

My own list was:
                      Galaxy of Terror, Wolfen, Poltergeist, The Thing, First Blood, Galaxina, Piranha 2, Yor, Spacehunter, Fright Night, It came without warning, Scanners, American Werewolf, Death Ship, Conan, ET, Wrath of Khan, The Beyond, Highlander.
                      Definitely adding some of the titles you guys suggested. How could I have forgotten Creepshow, for example?
                      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• mego maniac mark
                        Career Member
                        • Aug 3, 2010

Very cool idea!
                        Will you have a partition in the corner with a curtain entrance for the adult section?

My go to video store back in the day would have all the boxes on display with a card attached by rubber band. You had to bring the card to the register to rent the video. All the new releases had a gold star, and were always tough to get. We had to befriend the clerk to see what was in the stacks that were just returned.
                        I would rent any comedy that was a new release and always go to the classics comedies or horror if nothing new was available.
                        mego's befo ho's

Comment

• cjefferys
                          Duke of Gloat
                          • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by mego maniac mark
                          Very cool idea!
                          Will you have a partition in the corner with a curtain entrance for the adult section?
                          Dude lives next to Germany, he could probably get some wild videos for the adult section.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                            Moderation Engineer
                            • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by Werewolf
                            Tron, Dragonslayer and Krull.
                            Seems like you and I had a much tamer selection than everyone else!

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                              Seems like you and I had a much tamer selection than everyone else!
                              Lol, yeah, my childhood had a lot more PG movies in it. Stuff like Faces of Death was way out of my interest range.
                              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Mikey
                                Verbose Member
                                • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by cjefferys
                                Dude lives next to Germany, he could probably get some wild videos for the adult section.
                                But I bet some VHS cult classics were banned at the time in Europe ...... Namely Nazi exploitation films

Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS was the pinnacle of this genre

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎