Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super7 Reaction: Apes, Hellboy, Pee Wee, Great Garloo, etc.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Super7 Rocky and Major League Baseball.

Super 7 has sent out a press release detailing a few of the new items they will debut at Toy Fair 2019. these include some new Transformers items, Rocky ReAction Figures, MLB ReAction Figures, and some Seasonal Items. Check out the details below. This year the most exciting unveiling at Toy Fair is its brand...
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• kinostadt
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 14, 2004

Originally posted by PNGwynne
      Where was this noted, and when is it being released? I get Super7 notifications but somehow missed this.
      It's teased on their Instagram page. https://www.instagram.com/super7/

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Werewolf
        Super7 Rocky and Major League Baseball.

https://news.toyark.com/2019/02/06/t...nd-more-331527

Unpopular Opinion:

Super7's sculpts are not better than when Funko had the ReAction license.

Those Rocky Figures look no more detailed or vintage than the Funko Big Trouble In Little China or even Star Trek figures. Funko's E.T. set is a masterpiece. Super7's ALIEN wave 2 has figures like Brett and Lambert that look just as "soft" as any Funko sculpt.

I love that Super7 will do figures that wouldn't exist without them, but I miss the days of finding figures in the store for $10 or on sale for less. Funko had some stinkers, sure. But I think Super7 has a reputation for quality that may be exaggerated, at least in the ReAction line. Their card art is fantastic, though.

I think that if Funko had been given the time to shake out the kinks, they'd have found their way, as evidenced by their later figures like Dark Crystal and E.T. I know it's easy to hate on the big toyseller, but I miss those days of going to Barnes and Noble and seeing them on sale.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Disagree that the Star Trek line should be placed in the merits of Funko pile, that one was a total fumble but they made some really nice stuff, like for me, the JAWS set or the Uni Monsters were great, I won't deny that.

Personally, I think the Super 7 apes are better than anything Funko did, both packaging design and figure quality.

I also prefer Super 7's licensing choices but I understand, different strokes for different folks. I have no use for Rocky or baseball players though.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• LordMudd
            Persistent Member
            • Aug 22, 2011

Originally posted by palitoy
            I also prefer Super 7's licensing choices but I understand, different strokes for different folks. I have no use for Rocky or baseball players though.
            Ditto, but I really would like the Munsters line that was mentioned 3 years ago.

CCC.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Hedji
              Unpopular Opinion:

Super7's sculpts are not better than when Funko had the ReAction license.
              I have to respectfully disagree.

Nothing Funko did was as good as Super7's Apes, Universal Monsters and Masters of the Universe figures. Super7's packaging art and design is also better. Their license choices are also far better.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

I agree Super7 does better packaging.

I don't agree their license choices are better. In fact, I think Funko came on almost too strong too soon with too many power licenses like Back to the Future, Terminator, Horror Icons, Universal Monsters. License choices are going to appeal differently. Some people like Slayer's Minotaur for example. Some people are die hard fans of Goonies and Back to the Future.

I know we've been around this before, and I'm sure I won't change anyone's mind, but if I look objectively at my Super7 Nova from Planet of the Apes, or my Funko Gracie from Big Trouble in Little China, I'm not sure I could spot the quality difference. Card art, yes. Figure execution, no.

If I'm coming across as combative or contrarian, I truly apologize. I'm not trying to be that jerky guy on the forum. But looking at those Rocky pics, and even looking at some of my own Super7 purchases, I'm having to convince myself there is double the value. I guess some of that frustration is coming out in my posts here.

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

I don't agree their license choices are better.
                  I have to disagree again.

The problem with Funko was far too much of their stuff was intentionally bad sculpts and or with "ironic" licenses that Kenner never would have touched. Breaking Bad, Pulp Fiction, Boon Dock Saints, Taxi Driver, etc. So far only two figures Super7 has done, King Diamond and the Slayer Minotaur, I personally feel are an ill fit for a Kenner homage line. Even then I still have to admit they have great sculpts and packaging. Can't say that about Funko's.

Super7 has licenses I have no interest in, like the Luchadores, but the figures and packaging look great and there is a big fanbase for them. No one was asking for or wanted a crudely sculpted figure of the Gimp from Pulp Fiction.

Once Funko realized retro sold better and their ironic licenses were warming the pegs they switched to stronger licenses and better sculpts, like Dark Crystal, but it was too late by then.

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

I don't agree their license choices are better. In fact, I think Funko came on almost too strong too soon with too many power licenses like Back to the Future, Terminator, Horror Icons, Universal Monsters. License choices are going to appeal differently. Some people like Slayer's Minotaur for example. Some people are die hard fans of Goonies and Back to the Future.
                    Oh sure, I buried that deeply under the umbrella of "different strokes for different folks", it's just my feeling, right...for me.

I agree with the "too soon", many figures looked rushed, especially those first waves on some popular brands, they had high appeal licenses for sure but I think the early waves hurt them. They got increasingly better IMO, their Batman 66 line was great and underrated.

I know we've been around this before, and I'm sure I won't change anyone's mind, but if I look objectively at my Super7 Nova from Planet of the Apes, or my Funko Gracie from Big Trouble in Little China, I'm not sure I could spot the quality difference. Card art, yes. Figure execution, no.
                    And I'd say their "Sucide Squad" looks just as good as stuff Super 7 is putting out but on average, there was a higher content of misfires.

If I'm coming across as combative or contrarian, I truly apologize. I'm not trying to be that jerky guy on the forum. But looking at those Rocky pics, and even looking at some of my own Super7 purchases, I'm having to convince myself there is double the value. I guess some of that frustration is coming out in my posts here.
                    I'm personally not offended by your candor at all, I've got no emotional stake in this.

If the issue is cost, it's just simple economies of scale, I'd say Super 7 is producing at best 1/4 of what Funko did per figure, Funko just rocked with distribution. So it's like craft beer vs Bud Light, although sometimes I think the craft beer is just repackaged Bud Light.

I personally don't think I'm getting $5 more value out of everything i buy but i'm happier to fork out $15 for that Dr. Zaius than i was $10 for that Captain Kirk.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                      If the issue is cost, it's just simple economies of scale,
                      Excellent point, Funko is a large company with an equally large network of retail distribution channels. Super7 is absolutely tiny in comparison.

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

A bit off topic. Economies of scale reminds me of the discussions we had on the Mattel retro action dolls. Like, "Why did Retro Action cost more than Barbie?" I would explain Mattel, on average, sells three Barbies a second and the record selling Totally Hair Barbie sold 10 million alone. The production run of Retro Action was much much smaller in comparison. Maybe 5 to 10 thousand, I'd guess. Others would know for sure. But at any rate the production run would be tiny in comparison to Barbie.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by kinostadt
                          It's teased on their Instagram page. https://www.instagram.com/super7/
                          Thank you! The Worst looks so much fun.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hedji
                            Citizen of Gotham
                            • Nov 17, 2012

Laughing at myself...

I took about a dozen or so photos of highs and lows from both Funko and Super7 to come in here all Perry Mason with exhibit A to Z...

... and that is when my Funko Dr. McCoy figure fell off his blister card due to a weak bubble seal.

After that, the urge to 'prove my opinion is the right one' left me, and I realize I sort of look like a jackass every time I beat this horse. I love interacting here so much, I guess I realized there's a cost associated with obsessively trying to prove how right one thinks one is.

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

Laughing at myself...

I took about a dozen or so photos of highs and lows from both Funko and Super7 to come in here all Perry Mason with exhibit A to Z...
                              Don't feel bad I think a lot of us have probably been there.

And BTW I don't think I've ever seen you be anything but polite in any of these discussions.

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
                                Persistent Member
                                • Jun 22, 2011

Looks like POTA series 2 will be out next Wed. 20th instead of this week according to Super 7s Instagram.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎