Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Remco Monster
    GLOWS in the Dark!
    • May 3, 2006

This is actually a custom made by guy in Japan. I have one. There was someone that tried to bring 12" TV super heroes to the market (Go Hero), but this particular custom didn't have anything to do with that. He did however commission Ara to make himself one, as I and many others have.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by TCM Hitchhiker
      This is actually a custom made by guy in Japan. I have one. There was someone that tried to bring 12" TV super heroes to the market (Go Hero), but this particular custom didn't have anything to do with that. He did however commission Ara to make himself one, as I and many others have.
      I was trying not to namedrop but the folks at GoHero turned me onto this and it was right after that TV project fell apart. I wasn't trying to imply anything untoward here, this is absolutely a custom made by a fellow in Japan but it's the closest to proof of the concept i guess we'll see.

To give a timeline of events, i was:

1) Told in a PM that the TV project was dead
      2) Shown the figure
      3) Told I could get one if i wanted

Not trying to spark controversy.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Remco Monster
        GLOWS in the Dark!
        • May 3, 2006

No problem. I am not sure why it is hush, hush though, as Go Hero posted about it publicly on one of my Instagram posts back in Nov. when I got mine, which is why I figure it's OK to mention it. As far as the guy who makes these, that has never been any secret. I commissioned mine from him in Aug. through Twitter, and a lot of people have posted theirs in the The Amazing Spider-Man (1977 Live Action) Appreciation Society group on Facebook. Just wanted to make sure megimmeme (Ara) gets all the credit for his incredible work on these amazing customs! He is also a really, really nice guy. I think it is rad you have one, and am always happy when I see someone post them!

Comment

• palitoy
          • Jun 16, 2001

I kept confidence because I did not know the relationship and it's wise to say less. It was not done out of any attempt to discredit the artist or take any for myself.

I am not a member of any of those groups and not privy to that information.

Comment

• Makernaut
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 22, 2015

Woooooowwww!!!! That is all kinds of beautiful!

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
              I have a limited understanding of this but it's not because they're not aware of the viability. More of a rights issue, you have to pay Marvel, whatever production company produced the show and it's look (Universal, Charles Fries etc) and possibly the actors themselves depending on those contracts.

It's probably a lot of due diligence to simplify this for licensors. I think in the case of Ferrigno Hulk it would have big reward though, that's probably the best one.
              I'm not sure there isn't more to it. Marvel it seems has made a deliberate attempt to distance themselves from their 1960's-1980's television properties. Word has always been that they are embarrassed by the live action Spider-Man series and would like to forget it exists. DC has been willing to go the extra mile in releasing any and all versions of it's heroes, good and bad. I have to give them credit for that.

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by enyawd72
                I'm not sure there isn't more to it. Marvel it seems has made a deliberate attempt to distance themselves from their 1960's-1980's television properties. Word has always been that they are embarrassed by the live action Spider-Man series and would like to forget it exists. DC has been willing to go the extra mile in releasing any and all versions of it's heroes, good and bad. I have to give them credit for that.
                Well, that kind of goes along with what I'm saying if you think about it. Somebody would have to really want to iron out these problems in order to make them work. If there is a company mantra to "forget the past" (which is entirely plausible) then it will remain a barrier to licensors.

I have a beautiful figure of the Japanese TV Spider-Man that is officially licensed, so such things are not impossible when money is put on the table.

Comment

• Remco Monster
                  GLOWS in the Dark!
                  • May 3, 2006

I have a beautiful figure of the Japanese TV Spider-Man that is officially licensed, so such things are not impossible when money is put on the table.
                  Speaking of which, Ara makes the Toei version of Spider-man too! I would like to have him make me one of those sometime. Which one do you have? I have the Bandai 6" vinyl one that came with the Leopardon chogokin, that is super cool.

Comment

• enyawd72
                    Maker of Monsters!
                    • Oct 1, 2009

Well, that kind of goes along with what I'm saying if you think about it. Somebody would have to really want to iron out these problems in order to make them work. If there is a company mantra to "forget the past" (which is entirely plausible) then it will remain a barrier to licensors.

Yeah, my point was just that DC is OK with promoting multiple versions of it's characters at the same time. They also seem to grasp that while Adam West may not be the current Batman, he is still THE Batman to an entire generation, and they've wisely chosen to recognize that and embrace it with merchandise, the '66 Batman comic, etc. There is simply no excuse that we've yet to see a Lou Ferrigno Hulk anything. It was the most successful, longest running comic book series of it's time, was critically acclaimed then and still has a huge following now. Yet Marvel chooses to ignore it. They could at least do a '77 Hulk comic...even that would be better than nothing.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by enyawd72
                      ...DC is OK with promoting multiple versions of it's characters at the same time. They also seem to grasp that while Adam West may not be the current Batman, he is still THE Batman to an entire generation, and they've wisely chosen to recognize that and embrace it with merchandise, the '66 Batman comic, etc.
                      But it took DC/Time-Warner a looong time to realize that (it seemingly almost didn't happen) and latch onto that cash cow. Marvel/Disney may yet come around if $$$ can be made.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• enyawd72
                        Maker of Monsters!
                        • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                        But it took DC/Time-Warner a looong time to realize that (it seemingly almost didn't happen) and latch onto that cash cow. Marvel/Disney may yet come around if $$$ can be made.
                        I hope they do...

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

You know, I do too. None of the Marvel TV adaptations had the panache of Batman, but my twelve-year old self really enjoyed them. The Hulk was a phenomenon.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
                            • Jun 16, 2001

I can understand why we're not inundated by Reb Brown merch (even though I want some) but to ignore the Hulk TV series seems blasphemous.

Judging from what I've read about Ike Perlmutter, it's quite possibly an unwillingness to work with a third party on a property they own.

Comment

• starsky
                              veteran member
                              • Aug 26, 2007

sorry if i'm a little off topic here but any recommendations on where i can get the live action spiderman tv show on dvd? thanks!

Comment

• warlock664
                                Persistent Member
                                • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by starsky
                                sorry if i'm a little off topic here but any recommendations on where i can get the live action spiderman tv show on dvd? thanks!
                                Nowhere legally. It's never had an official DVD release. I'm sure there are bootlegs out there, though.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎