X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CrimsonGhost
    Often invisible
    • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by palitoy
    It's what we economics majors call "the law of diminishing returns", even when the movies retain a certain quality standard they can start to feel routine after a while. The classroom example is new cars, your first new car is usually a special moment and your fifth one isn't at the same level, even if it's better.

Also, mileage varies for everybody, in Stoklasa's case I don't think he was ever all that into comic books. He's just a fan of movies in general.

Personally, when it came to comics, I never read that many superhero titles, my childhood was littered with Madhouse, Turoks, Star Trek, Micronauts and that sort of thing. Superhero movies are largely just one genre of a whole category.
    I realized the other day after seeing the Solo trailer that I'm tired of Star Wars movies already.
    Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• warlock664
      Persistent Member
      • Feb 15, 2009

Saw it last night. Meh. An ok film, but way down the list of my favorite Marvel movies. Not sure what all the fuss is about. I found myself bored in spots. And this from a guy who absolutely loved Don McGregor's "Panther's Rage" from JUNGLE ACTION #s 6-18 in the 70s.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Iron Mego
        Both of the main RLM guys, Mike and Jay, are admitted non-comic readers. They know practically nothing about Super-Heroes, beyond the movies they've seen. Their take is always based on the merits of film-making and story, which I can respect. Oftentimes my own muddled feelings about a movie--Comic related or not--they express in a way that makes me go, "Oh yeah, that's why that bugged me."
        However, they are also not going to pick up on Easter Eggs and nods to the comics that the fans are going to pick up on, so they'll never get those little bits of excitement that fans get.
        I love 'em no matter what they say about a movie that I personally like.
        Oh yeah, I just enjoy their discourse and it doesn't matter if I agree or not, I often surrender to their points regardless.

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
        I realized the other day after seeing the Solo trailer that I'm tired of Star Wars movies already.
        I have completely lost any emotion towards the series. I actually just watch them and judge them on if I found them interesting or not, then I never see them again.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Madcap70
          • Dec 4, 2017

Both of the main RLM guys, Mike and Jay, are admitted non-comic readers. They know practically nothing about Super-Heroes, beyond the movies they've seen. Their take is always based on the merits of film-making and story, which I can respect. Oftentimes my own muddled feelings about a movie--Comic related or not--they express in a way that makes me go, "Oh yeah, that's why that bugged me."
          However, they are also not going to pick up on Easter Eggs and nods to the comics that the fans are going to pick up on, so they'll never get those little bits of excitement that fans get.
          I love 'em no matter what they say about a movie that I personally like.
          So if you have never read the books then how can they say what's right and wrong?? I read the books so It's not such a stretch to me..Great movie and I like others GOT IT so that's all that matters my only beef it that both end/mid credits were mehh...

Comment

• Iron Mego
            Wake Up Heavy
            • Jan 31, 2010

They review it as a movie, not how it relates to comic books. I didn't see anything in that review, or their previous Marvel/DC reviews that mention getting things right or wrong in the context of the comics.
            Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
              I’m burnt out on Star Wars. I tried to love Awakens, but after a while...I said meh.

I liked Rogue, but didn’t love it enough to watch it a second time.

Have not seen Last Jedi.

Not interested in Solo.

IMO, Guardians of the Galaxy is the superior space opera series nowadays.
              sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

They review it as a movie, not how it relates to comic books. I didn't see anything in that review, or their previous Marvel/DC reviews that mention getting things right or wrong in the context of the comics.
                what a novel concept, reviewing it as a fan of the medium itself.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• libby 1957dog
                  Persistent Member
                  • Sep 3, 2009

Comment

• huedell
                    Museum Ball Eater
                    • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                    Box office says different than that guy.
                    Did that guy say differently?
                    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎