X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

BLACK PANTHER SPOILER Reviews

With BLACK PANTHER opening in a couple of days, I thought it would be good to get the review threads fired up. This thread would be for those who want to share EVERYTHING about the film, including those pesky spoilers!!. Looking forward to it myself and hope to see it over the weekend.
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.
  • libby 1957dog
    Persistent Member
    • Sep 3, 2009

interested if you guys agree or disagree with this guy ,he paints it pretty bad

valid criticism or a contrarian
    Last edited by libby 1957dog; Feb 17, '18, 8:47 AM.

Comment

• hedrap
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 10, 2009

Some of his problems are subjective, but the bulk of the video is legit criticism of story logic. But that's par for the course with MCU.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 20, 2011

Haven’t seen the movie, but a lot of his critiques and reasonings seem pretty solid if that’s the route that the MCU decided to go with the movie.
        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• The Re-Rooter
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 13, 2016

The 2 Caucasians in the movie were LOTR actors, so they were "Tolkien White Guys"
          (Seth didn't get it)

-Diana

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by libby 1957dog
            interested if you guys agree or disagree with this guy ,he paints it pretty bad

valid criticism or a contrarian
            He has more thumbs down the up, lol...
            sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Box office says different than that guy. Looks like it has a chance of unseating Avengers as all time opening weekend for a superhero movie.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, I'm not even going to watch that review. May be a legitimate gripe, may be a grab for attention in a sea of thumbs up and A+ Cinemascores. I thought it was great. Looking forward to seeing it again!

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• MRP
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 19, 2016

My wife and I saw it this afternoon and we loved it. I have been a fan of the Panther since about '76-'77 when he showed up in the Avengers at the time when I was first getting into Avengers, and then I got a couple hand me down issues of Jungle Action and got an issue of the Kirby Panther issue. The Marvel Knights Panther run by Christopher Priest is one of my all time favorite comic runs, I've read most of the Reggie Hudlin run (and watched the animated series that was on BET based on it) and have been on board the current run by Coates and Stelfreeze since it was announced (I bought a print sub from Marvel as soon as it was made available before issue #1 came out and have maintained the sub since renewing it twice now. I've been rereading the McGregor Jungle Action run recently as well since I picked up the Epic collection of it last week.

There's nothing in the movie that doesn't have its antecedant or inspiration from one of the versions/runs in the comics. Alterations were made to fit the current MCU and the medium of film rather than comics, but it is extremely faithful to the narrative, tone and thematic content of the comics.

As for reviews like the one posted above. I couldn't give a rat's behind. There are too many people who call themselves fans who are only in it to ***** and moan and find fault to be the center of attention. They go into things looking for reasons to not like it and sound off about it to feed their own egos rather that to celebrate (or legitimately criticize) what it is they are supposed to be fans of, and I refuse to let what others think influence my enjoyment (or lack thereof) of a movie, tv show, comic or what have you. I am old enough and can think well enough on my own to form my own opinions without consulting the echo chamber mob mentality that supposed fan criticism has become on the internet. I go into things I am a fan or looking for reasons to like it, and often I do, sometimes I don't (the Nolan/Snyder/Goyer DC films as a case in point, Deadpool as another of things I didn't like but wanted to). I don't mind hearing honest opinions of people (whether they are a fan or newcomer to the property-as both perspectives have value to offer) who actually watch whatever show, movie or whatever as long as it is not solely an excuse for them to grind whatever axe they want to grind and about that and not the actual movie/show/book. Bu those kinds of reactions are getting fewer and farther between in the morass that is internet geek culture criticism.

-M
                  "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                    Often invisible
                    • Jul 18, 2002

I've seen the movie and watched this guys video review. I don't agree necessarily with his take on the movie itself and what he thinks it should be. The points he makes that I do agree with are very nitpicky about how the panther ritual works and why their government doesn't have sanctions to keep a dictator from taking over. Some things he flat didn't understand, like why T'challas cousin would just be able to show up and challenge him. So that review is who cares.

I liked it, I didn't love it. There were times when it dragged. There were times when I questioned it, like the stripping of the panther powers. It seemed to be painful and I felt like it would tire him out and THEN he had to defend his crown. How many times would he have to endure that?
                    Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• hedrap
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 10, 2009

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

I think Mike Stoklasa has been superhero burned out since Civil War. He's smart enough to admit it.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• enyawd72
                          Maker of Monsters!
                          • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
                          I think Mike Stoklasa has been superhero burned out since Civil War. He's smart enough to admit it.
                          I don't really get the whole "fatigue" thing...as kids we all read the comics every month for YEARS and never got tired of them.

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by enyawd72
                            I don't really get the whole "fatigue" thing...as kids we all read the comics every month for YEARS and never got tired of them.
                            It's what we economics majors call "the law of diminishing returns", even when the movies retain a certain quality standard they can start to feel routine after a while. The classroom example is new cars, your first new car is usually a special moment and your fifth one isn't at the same level, even if it's better.

Also, mileage varies for everybody, in Stoklasa's case I don't think he was ever all that into comic books. He's just a fan of movies in general.

Personally, when it came to comics, I never read that many superhero titles, my childhood was littered with Madhouse, Turoks, Star Trek, Micronauts and that sort of thing. Superhero movies are largely just one genre of a whole category.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Iron Mego
                              Wake Up Heavy
                              • Jan 31, 2010

Both of the main RLM guys, Mike and Jay, are admitted non-comic readers. They know practically nothing about Super-Heroes, beyond the movies they've seen. Their take is always based on the merits of film-making and story, which I can respect. Oftentimes my own muddled feelings about a movie--Comic related or not--they express in a way that makes me go, "Oh yeah, that's why that bugged me."
                              However, they are also not going to pick up on Easter Eggs and nods to the comics that the fans are going to pick up on, so they'll never get those little bits of excitement that fans get.
                              I love 'em no matter what they say about a movie that I personally like.
                              Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎