Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BLACK PANTHER REVIEWS - Spoiler Free, please!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • huedell
    Museum Ball Eater
    • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by darkbros
    I enjoyed Black Panther thoroughly. As a kid buying his 70's run off the spinner racks (along with Black Lightning) , this is really a great time for me.

Those who didn't enjoy the movie just have no desire to be open to other rperople's points of view, as depicted in a movie.
    I've had many a white friend (with the deer in the headlights look), come to me afterward and ask "Is this what life is like for you?"
    I just give them the ol "smile and wave boys, smile and wave".....
    Indeed, it shows just how blind people like myself have been to the need for a hero like Boseman's Panther... and sadly, a craving to embrace villains like Jordan's Killmonger.

I'm simply disappointed that Black Panther (the film, specifically) functions as a representation of today's world.

That said... better a harmless popcorn flick to function like this, than the darker alternative outlets.

I have not viewed the movie proper, yet I basically know the movie backward/forward from viewing so much commentary on it.

The extreme politicizing of the movie has made it so it'll be a long time before I even bother to view it sans commentary, just enjoying as the solid superhero movie it appears to be.

It's funny, because before this movie, Falcon wouldn't even drop a hint at an "urban POV" (aside from a singular undeserved cheap shot at Mark Fuhrman... very bizarre, but very quick) despite urban pressures being at the core of the Falcon character history.

My thoughts back when Falcon was introduced was that more of a presence of culture clashes might have an organically healthy effect on the MCU, as the MCU has always benefited from working in their own tried and true traditional tropes.

BOY, did Black Panther prove that I under-shot in that regard.

The movie media took those embers and made quite the fire.
    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• YoungOnce
      Career Member
      • Aug 29, 2007

Took my daughter and we saw it for the first time today. I don't live on the internets so I was able to see this movie with no one else's' opinions of it in my head. I watched it as just a superhero movie and enjoyed it. Any of the injected politics that I noticed were more of a commentary about how we view illegal aliens than what I noticed of the African-American culture honestly. I guess if you were looking for something going in, you could find it, but that's anything.

I did say to my daughter that it's great to think that some young African-American kid somewhere was watching this movie and feeling the same thrill that I did when I was a kid watching Chris Reeve fly for the first time. That thought makes me happy.

Comment

• YoungOnce
        Career Member
        • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by darkbros
        I've had many a white friend (with the deer in the headlights look), come to me afterward and ask "Is this what life is like for you?"
        SPOILER....

Shouldn't that be "antelope in the headlights look"?
        Last edited by YoungOnce; Mar 15, '18, 9:03 PM. Reason: Spoiler warning...

Comment

• huedell
          Museum Ball Eater
          • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by YoungOnce
          I guess if you were looking for something going in, you could find it, but that's anything.
          Okay. But, there's the added aspect of what an individual feels regarding something "race-related" while going in to see the film isn't merely what an individual is deliberately looking for... it is additionally influenced by how exposed beforehand one is to the heavily race-baiting media.

In this case of this movie... it was rampant... and if you were like me, you couldn't avoid being disappointed, rather than inspired.

Originally posted by YoungOnce
          I did say to my daughter that it's great to think that some young African-American kid somewhere was watching this movie and feeling the same thrill that I did when I was a kid...
          So, if its not the media... its actual parents taking their children to see the film, and reinforcing that skin color matters in these moments of "You can do anything" inspiration.

Listen, if that's the case... then, on one (apparently needed) hand it is GREAT.

And (as you mentioned for yourself), it makes me happy... happy that any "bonus" good comes out of this superhero movie release.

To be clear, the disappointment on my end comes from the stark revelation of how far we have to go culturally.

And that's without even opening the "Killmonger as real hero"/"Killmonger is the best MCU villain" narrative that both mainstream and underground media has ran with to drive the race issue even deeper. 'Nuff said there.

Apparently its "One small step for human's movies... one giant step for humankind."

Alrighty then.
          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Black Panther on Redbox...May 18...

sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

I finally saw this, I think it's main strength for me was it's likable cast, the setting of a futuristic kingdom and one of the best crafted Marvel villains I've ever seen.

It was so refreshing to turn the "Save the world from the bad guy" plot into "bad guy wants to save the world, wait, is he right?".

There was some really obvious foreshadowing and some of the effects were a little weird but I can see this was a hit.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

I have yet to see it. I will pick it up when it hits bluray next week

Comment

• Brazoo
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
                  I finally saw this, I think it's main strength for me was it's likable cast, the setting of a futuristic kingdom and one of the best crafted Marvel villains I've ever seen.

It was so refreshing to turn the "Save the world from the bad guy" plot into "bad guy wants to save the world, wait, is he right?".

There was some really obvious foreshadowing and some of the effects were a little weird but I can see this was a hit.
                  That's pretty much spot-on to what I thought.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Was hoping to see this again in theaters. Maybe I should do a Black Panter/Infinity War double feature? Man, if I only had that kind of time...

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• MRP
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                      Was hoping to see this again in theaters. Maybe I should do a Black Panter/Infinity War double feature? Man, if I only had that kind of time...

Chris
                      There was a drive in in the greater Dayton area that was showing Infinity War then Black Panther on one screen, and Black Panther then Infinity War on it's other screen. Apparently there was enough business to keep both screen going for 2 weekends in a row.

-M
                      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

^Nice! Our local drive-in was showing Infinity War for the past two weekends. If they still are this weekend, I may bite. If the wife is up for that for Mother's Day.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

It’s coming on Redbox in ten days...I will definitely rent it...
                          sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Just rented it through Redbox just now...will watch it tonight...

sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                              Muddling through
                              • Oct 4, 2008

the drive in closest to me had Infinity War and Panther double feature the last 3 weekends but I Had no desire to sit in the cold and watch(plus that's waaayyyy past my bedtime). I got it from Amazon today and watched it. It was okay. not great but definitely watchable. I liked the supporting cast. thought overall it was to racially motivated. good filler between Civil War and Infinity War though. Great actors in most all of the roles. Would have liked to see a little more connection to the rest of the Marvel universe but I understand this was setting up this particular franchise and it does set up to lead directly into Infinity War

Comment

• sprytel
                                Talkative Member
                                • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Hector
                                Just rented it through Redbox just now...will watch it tonight...

Well, what did you think of it!?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎