Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BLACK PANTHER REVIEWS - Spoiler Free, please!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by sprytel
    Well, what did you think of it!?

I liked it!

T’Challa is very likable. Personally, he’s become one of my favorite on screen Marvel heroes. Love his costume, love his skills.

But a few issues...

Wakanda itself. You have this advanced civilization, hidden from the rest of the world, disguised as a poor Third World country. That’s fine and dandy...but didn’t like how the citizens see the rest of the planet as backwards, smirk and laugh at us, the inferior barbarians...yet they have to settle the monarchy business with violent fights? Sometimes to the death? My, how civilized and advanced of them, lol. A world of contradictions.

Black Panther's producer Nat Moore called Shuri the smartest person in the world, even more so than Tony Stark. She’s only 16, has Vibranium technology on her side, but she’s cheating, lol. But seriously, Moore completely ignored Reed Richards, who is the smartest human being who ever lived.

While some of the CGI was top notch, basically on inanimate objects such as Wakanda itself, aircraft, etc...other CGI aspects, like on the organic animate figures, like Black Panther himself, especially on action sequences, specifically fighting, were a tad disappointing...I could clearly see it was not the actor in costume...it was computer generated, not very smooth nor fluid. Spider-Man in Homecoming used CGI more effectively.

Erik Killmonger was an excellent villain...a multi-layered character, whose vision of world-wide dominance was clearly wrong...you still somehow felt sorry for him (even as a murderer)...as the events as a kid steered him in the wrong path.

The supporting cast was fine, no issues there.

Overall a fun movie.

Would I see it again? Yes.

How I rate it compare to Infinity Wars?

Infinity Wars 9.5/10
    Black Panther 8/10

I have spoken!

Last edited by Hector; May 19, '18, 4:03 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

• Brazoo
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by Hector
      Wakanda itself. You have this advanced civilization, hidden from the rest of the world, disguised as a poor Third World country. That’s fine and dandy...but didn’t like how the citizens see the rest of the planet as backwards, smirk and laugh at us, the inferior barbarians...yet they have to settle the monarchy business with violent fights? Sometimes to the death? My, how civilized and advanced of them, lol. A world of contradictions.
      Interesting, I thought about that that after watching it too. I agree that Wakanda was hardly advanced in a lot ways, and certainly tried to solve a lot of their problems with violence — but I wondered if it was a kind of error in the concept of the story or a deliberate contradiction the script was trying to show. After all - the flaws in Wakanda's hubris utopian myth IS a major theme of the movie.

As great as they are in many ways the flaws they DID have caused a lot of pain and suffering.
      Last edited by Brazoo; May 19, '18, 6:28 PM.

Comment

• knight errant00
        8 Inch Action Figure
        • Nov 15, 2005

My biggest problem was just the overall structure of the story, with its biggest flaw that, with all they had going on, T'Challa seemed like a secondary character in his own movie-- I really wanted to see him in his story, and I felt his role wasn't a lot more significant than in Civil War.

It seemed the production team was trying too hard to make everyone awesome and right about something, and the lead got lost in the noise.

Update:

I pulled part of my comments from earlier when I realized this was the spoiler-free thread. Hopefully, no one who hasn't seen it read this before I caught my error.
        Last edited by knight errant00; May 20, '18, 1:09 PM.

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

I’ll have to agree...too many co-leads... ^^^^^^^^^^

T’Challa is such a great superhero, Chadwick Boseman is a good likable actor...it should be 90% about him, not 50%-50%...
          sigpic

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Wakanda set up shop in Oakland, my hometown...I’m happy about that...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎