Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BLACK PANTHER REVIEWS - Spoiler Free, please!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

BLACK PANTHER REVIEWS - Spoiler Free, please!

With BLACK PANTHER opening in a couple of days, I thought it would be good to get the review threads fired up. This thread would be for non-spoilery reviews, please. Looking forward to it myself and hope to see it over the weekend.
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.
  • phil
    Persistent Member
    • May 11, 2007

I liked t but found some of it predictable.

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

Aren’t all superhero movies predictable?
      sigpic

Comment

• jwyblejr
        galactic yo-yo
        • Apr 6, 2006

The morons are coming out on Facebook with their dopey comments about the movie.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by phil
          I liked t but found some of it predictable.
          Heh, that sounds like Dr. Strange for me.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• huedell
            Museum Ball Eater
            • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by jwyblejr
            The morons are coming out on Facebook with their dopey comments about the movie.
            All varieties.

This movie is about as needlessly controversial as it gets.

Geez, combine "2018 race issues" and "nerd culture" and BOOM!

No "politics" here on our board... but precedence makes me feel referencing "race" alone is passable (if not, moderator, please delete this post).

I'm going to offer my thought that its "falling for (race) politics in the first place" that this world (which includes the "nerd world") has to recognize---and avoid for better lives for everyone.

And that, of course, includes movie reviews (and discussion).

You could (as people have done) make the argument: "But race politics are what's making many people (including the movie's cast) happy about this movie!"

Me?

I'm saying, in the long run, its not worth it.

Any interest I have of to see this in the theaters is absolutely quashed because of this stuff. I mean, I'm stubborn about going to see movies overall... but these issues make it easy for me rationalizing to skip.

I'll enjoy BP at home later.

Despite the hub-bub, I'm glad others are enjoying it now.
            "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

What would make it worth it? As if the hub-hub was unexpected. Black Panther has always been an inspirational, noble character, not an Uncle Tom.

A big movie with regime-challenging themes, featuring an unapologetic black hero and an African superpower that can rival the West? I can't wait to see it.

(And sorry, I have little idea what you're saying in your fifth sentence above.)
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• huedell
                Museum Ball Eater
                • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                What would make it worth it?
                Nothing would make the argument "But race politics are what's making many people (including the movie's cast) happy about this movie!" worth it.

In other words: It's not worth devaluing the movie by inviting an unneeded race-issue to the movie event.

As if the hub-hub was unexpected.
                I expected it... its just really, really, really sad, because I'm convinced identity politics are more toxic than not, and people are pouring that on big-time.

Black Panther has always been an inspirational, noble character, not an Uncle Tom.
                The Blacks that are currently turned-off by this identity politics approach are the truly noble and inspirational people here, as they only wish to be counted as individuals and enjoy the movie on its own merits, yet are exposed to racial epithets such as "Uncle Tom" and worse by those that believe they know better and believe they can speak for blacks.

A big movie with regime-challenging themes, featuring an unapologetic black hero and an African superpower that can rival the West? I can't wait to see it.
                If that's where one must go to get inspired, then so be it. Again, I think its sad. Sad for the film... and sad for the country.

And, as explained twice already.... in the short run, while a certain segment feels a sense of celebratory victory... other parts of the population feel despair that this event is the source of so much self-esteem...

And in the long run, its not worth it. It makes the divide between people grow.

(And sorry, I have little idea what you're saying in your fifth sentence above.)
                What I'm saying is that all of this race-based hub-bub for Black Panther is indicative of modern (or shall I say "post-modern") identity-politics deliberately inserted in media/society to create a sense of "oppressors vs. oppressed" to keep us in chaos while the big boys in charge do what they choose with more ease, than if we were unified.

I'm bummed because the 7-year-old in me just wanted to enjoy a movie about a guy I saw in a pack of cards in 1978 that I thought looked cool and had a cool name.

Hmmm... Maybe in the next life.
                Last edited by huedell; Feb 17, '18, 12:15 PM.
                "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                  Often invisible
                  • Jul 18, 2002

I liked it. I've paid no attention to the social/political aspects so I did just enjoy a movie about a cool character. I still wish it was made in 1978 starring Jim Kelly, but I had a good time anyway.
                  Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Easy there, H. I'm describing Black Panther, not his real or perceived audience. Bear in mind, neither of us has seen the movie.

My self-esteem or sense of validation doesn't depend on anything in Marvel comics or movies.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• huedell
                      Museum Ball Eater
                      • Dec 31, 2003

Easy there, H.
                      I'm trying

I'm describing Black Panther, not his real or perceived audience.
                      Although I was making the connection between the two, possibly unfairly, I have to note that the media (and whoever the "morons" jwyblejr referenced) have been making that connection en masse even if I unfairly indirectly lumped you in.

Either way, I apologize for the assumption/implication in my post that I would be lying if I said wasn't there. I trust you if you say it wasn't. And, frankly, its uplifting if that's the case.

Bear in mind, neither of us has seen the movie.
                      I haven't seen the movie.... but I've seen tons of reviews and commentaries. And I guess it riled me up too much in the case of your reply to my post. But, again, I was originally just commenting on jwyblejr's post, so there was some momentum in that way.

My self-esteem or sense of validation doesn't depend on anything in Marvel comics or movies.
                      Again, uplifting.

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                        I liked it. I've paid no attention to the social/political aspects so I did just enjoy a movie about a cool character. I still wish it was made in 1978 starring Jim Kelly, but I had a good time anyway.
                        Jim Kelly was a horrible actor.
                        sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Hector
                          Jim Kelly was a horrible actor.
                          Getting way off tangent, I don't agree with that. I got to meet him before he passed, he was absolutely nothing like his screen personas. I always assumed he was just playing himself.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Obibob
                            Museum Super Collector
                            • Jul 27, 2007

I saw it yesterday with my wife and we liked it. Granted, there is some dialog that comes across as, I don't know...race baiting (on both sides of the fence) for want of a better description, but I guess that's the world we live in these days - someone is always trying to push an agenda. Personally, I just try to ignore it all and just enjoy it as entertainment - which is why I go to the movies in the first place. To each his/her own I suppose...your actual mileage may vary.

As for Jim Kelly, I gotta side with Brian on this one as I liked the dude too!

Comment

• The Re-Rooter
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 13, 2016

I'm not overly familiar with Black Panther so I couldn't be a stickler about how true it was to the comic. A lot of people weren't fans of Dr Strange because it didn't feel like a superhero movie, but I thought it was great even with the race switches and whatnot. But I didn't feel the same about Black Panther. So much of the plot was "around" him that I felt very little motivation from his character other than the aforementioned predictable. I didn't feel like the plot built much of his character to really propel him forward into the Marvel universe IMO. Too much time focusing on race. I don't go to superhero movies for that, I go for epic fights, explosions and most importantly, the hero's struggle to rise above adversity.
                              Michael B Jordan was fantastic. That kid can act! And the 2nd cut scene was the only relevance I found to the Marvel Universe to push the plot forward. But hey, maybe a bunch of BP's family and Wakanda will be in Infinity War and then it will make sense.
                              CULTURAL SIDE NOTE: My husband Seth lived in South Africa for 2 years ( Wakanda is supposed to be in West Africa I believe) and as someone who has truly experienced the culture, he was not feeling it. He felt the Rhinos were on point, because he was chased by a Rhino (luckily he was 19 at the time and could run pretty fast) and it was one of the scariest things that ever happened to him lol.
                              So that's my 2 Rand ( African Currency )
                              -Diana

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎