• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AJ-Paratrooper
    Museum Patron
    • Mar 1, 2008

Repro Action Jackson Assembly FAIL!

LOL!!!!

I am attempting to build a repro Action Jackson “Adventure Team”. This is a learning experience. The AJ heads from CTVT wont fit onto a CTVT body. They are designed to be used with the new Type S or some other body where the chest unscrews.

So to ease my disappointment, I dug out my old Mego parts, found an original AJ Head I didn’t like, a defective CTVT body, and a type 0 chest and a cracked pelvis that I repaired with gorilla glue and created a Frankenstein Wards mailer AJ! I restrung it as a Type 0.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

9EC6C04F-F48E-4D13-9A0D-B382D71F45F6.jpeg

Time to buy some Type S bodies as I don't want to shave the neck plugs on these heads. I also don't want to split the bodies as needed to install resin heads on CTVT bodies....Stay tuned!
    Last edited by AJ-Paratrooper; Feb 15, '18, 7:35 PM.
    DO AND DARE! HE'S EVERYWHERE!
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Are you saying that the CTVT heads are resin? Funny, CTVT is using them on CTVT bodies in the 66 Henchmen sets.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• darkbros
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 3, 2012

Or are you saying the neck holes are smaller than the plug on the new AJ heads?
      If so taking a dremel and a sanding barrel to the body and sanding the head hole wider to allow the head to fit would work....
      Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
      https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------
      "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
        Moderation Engineer
        • Aug 14, 2003

Did you heat the heads first, or just try to push them in? I don't mess with a dremel anymore for neck holes, I use one of these:

Comment

• AJ-Paratrooper
          Museum Patron
          • Mar 1, 2008

The CTVT/FTC new AJ heads are not resin but the neck plug does not compress at all. The plastic or vinyl material at the base of the neck is solid. I don't think heating them would do much.

The neck holes are way too small for the plug on the new AJ heads. Yes they'd have to be widened. Of course, a competent customizer could make it work by splitting the seams of the body, cutting, dremeling, etc.... Instead of doing that, I'm going to use the bodies for something else....maybe AJ "enemies".

These heads are fairly well detailed and well painted so I don't have a problem putting them on an upgraded body.
          Last edited by AJ-Paratrooper; Feb 13, '18, 8:30 AM.

Comment

• Riderfan
            Megos are cool
            • Feb 14, 2012

Don't discount heating the neck plug, seems to me some of the DST Marvel sets had heads that were rather 'solid' but a couple minutes in near boiling water I was able to push them in, with a small blade screwdriver, with little effort.

By 'near boiling water' what I mean is I warm up a coffee cup in the microwave til the water boils. then hold the head (neck first) into into the cup til the neck plug is pliable-depending on the material maybe 1-2 minutes.

That said, I have no experience with these AJ heads so I could be way off base. Just trying to help.

K
            I've come here to chew bubblegum & kick ***. And I'm all out of bubblegum

(Rowdy Roddy Piper in 'They Live' 1988)

Comment

• AJ-Paratrooper
              Museum Patron
              • Mar 1, 2008

Originally posted by Riderfan
              Don't discount heating the neck plug, seems to me some of the DST Marvel sets had heads that were rather 'solid' but a couple minutes in near boiling water I was able to push them in, with a small blade screwdriver, with little effort.

By 'near boiling water' what I mean is I warm up a coffee cup in the microwave til the water boils. then hold the head (neck first) into into the cup til the neck plug is pliable-depending on the material maybe 1-2 minutes.

That said, I have no experience with these AJ heads so I could be way off base. Just trying to help.

K
              Hey, thanks Riderfan!

You may be right. I just ordered some “Type S” bodies to use with the AJ heads. I may use your advice when I eventually install other heads onto these CTVT/FTC bodies.

I am sure with a little effort I could get the heads installed onto the CTVT bodies but I am disappointed in their quality anyway and don’t think it’s worth the effort. Besides, I want to check out the Type S anyway and this is the perfect excuse!
              Last edited by AJ-Paratrooper; Feb 13, '18, 11:55 PM.

Comment

• wise guy
                Career Member
                • Dec 29, 2014

try heating the neck plug in hot water for a minute or so . I have been using the CTVT
                bodies to make AJ'S with no problems and I'm going to making a few more soon.
                CTVT needs a better dark blue body suit .

Comment

• AJ-Paratrooper
                  Museum Patron
                  • Mar 1, 2008

Originally posted by wise guy
                  try heating the neck plug in hot water for a minute or so . I have been using the CTVT
                  bodies to make AJ'S with no problems and I'm going to making a few more soon.
                  CTVT needs a better dark blue body suit .
                  Does that work with the new reproduction AJ heads? ...or are you using those bodies with original AJ heads?

Yeah, about the body suit...the dark blue ones should be cotton. It looks like they got the light blue one right. The original light blue jumpsuit was always nylon.

The problem with an AJ body that is not a type 0 or type 1, is that it makes him too big, IMHO. AJ is supposed to have that small chest with the little details. The type 2 and all the type 2 knockoff bodies have the chest obviously inspired by the Big Jim figures. That’s not AJ to me. Since any new repro AJ is going to be unavoidably buff, he would probably look coolest in Army BDUs....something I might try....
                  Last edited by AJ-Paratrooper; Feb 15, '18, 7:46 PM.

Comment

• Phosfate
                    • Jan 16, 2018

I've had CTVT heads react really well to hot water even though they feel hard as rocks when cold. Give it a try. At the worst you have to find something to do with a cup of warm water.
                    I have never kissed the editor of the Radio Times

Comment

• AJ-Paratrooper
                      Museum Patron
                      • Mar 1, 2008

Originally posted by Phosfate
                      I've had CTVT heads react really well to hot water even though they feel hard as rocks when cold. Give it a try. At the worst you have to find something to do with a cup of warm water.
                      I put some figures together last night and I think you’re right. Even though I was fitting heads on bodies that screw together, I could tell the heads aren’t as rock solid as I thought. Thanks!

Comment

• lilbrosj66
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 4, 2011

There is also a little "plug" in some of necks of the newer (and older) heads. Part the manufacturing process. Poke that into the head with a screwdriver or pull it out with needle nose pliers and it makes a hot-water softened neck post far easier to compress and get into the neck hole. It's worked for me more than a few times.

Comment

• AJ-Paratrooper
                          Museum Patron
                          • Mar 1, 2008

Originally posted by lilbrosj66
                          There is also a little "plug" in some of necks of the newer (and older) heads. Part the manufacturing process. Poke that into the head with a screwdriver or pull it out with needle nose pliers and it makes a hot-water softened neck post far easier to compress and get into the neck hole. It's worked for me more than a few times.
                          Yes, that’s right! The AJ heads I just bought are so perfectly painted that the idea of heating those heads, then squeezing and man handling the paint to get them into those bodies just didn’t seem right. The neck bottom is going to have to be folded in half and shoved onto that hole with brute force. The neck hole is waaay smaller than the neck. I think opening the neck hole with a Dremel attachment would make it easy.

I got the heads installed onto different bodies where that’s not an issue and I am very happy with how the combination worked. Thanks for the install tip!

f4342A620-6BEB-487D-9B9B-46469004959B.jpg
                          371D01B4-1EBE-41B5-B35D-B9B5B9BBC773.jpg

Comment

• scott metzger
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 9, 2007

There is an alternative to a dremel for widening the neck hole. I stick a pair of scissors inside the neck, open them with some gentle pressure, and start turning them. You can get a really thin, even shaving of the hole with some good control once you get the feel of it (just shaved the arm holes on one of the CTVT new big bodies the same way so the shoulder ball sits into the chest a bit further). It's an alternative method for people like me who should not be left alone with any sort of powered tools under any circumstances...

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                              Moderation Engineer
                              • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by scott metzger
                              There is an alternative to a dremel for widening the neck hole. I stick a pair of scissors inside the neck, open them with some gentle pressure, and start turning them. You can get a really thin, even shaving of the hole with some good control once you get the feel of it (just shaved the arm holes on one of the CTVT new big bodies the same way so the shoulder ball sits into the chest a bit further). It's an alternative method for people like me who should not be left alone with any sort of powered tools under any circumstances...
                              I completely forgot about this approach, but it works great. I have an old pair of solid metal scissors that's held together with a screw and nut that seems like it was practically made for this.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎