X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spockoda
    Museum Super Collector
    • Jan 14, 2018

Broken Emce Gorn

I recently was dusting my collection and picked up this Gorn figure to dust and I guess the rubber band holding his right side together broke. Is there anything I can do to fix him?
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Here ya, go

m

Comment

• spockoda
      Museum Super Collector
      • Jan 14, 2018

Thanks! This looks pretty technical though. It would probably cost as much or more to have him repaired as it would to buy a new one. Last time I saw this one wouldn't be cheap to replace.

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by spockoda
        Thanks! This looks pretty technical though. It would probably cost as much or more to have him repaired as it would to buy a new one. Last time I saw this one wouldn't be cheap to replace.
        If you wanna go the easy route go to your local Joann Fabrics and pick up some stretchy string.

Run it through the arm and leg holes and torso and tie it off real tight -- then tuck the knot into the torso

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

very easy to restring with elastic. get some string elastic at Joann Fabrics or wherever. you will have to remove the other rubber band. might be easier to take the head off, but not totally necessary, run it through the pelvis, loop through each hip peg, then cross ways through the torso and out the arm holes, loop through one arm/shoulder and back through the torso to the other arm, and then tie it off tight so you can put the knot back inside the chest cavity

Comment

• rche
            channeling Bob Wills
            • Mar 26, 2008

The rubber on the upper arm joint is pretty soft on emce bodies. I tend to restring with only elastic for those and skip the hard metal connectors. Super simple operation

Comment

• TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011

Your best bet is to restring him, check out the museum repair website above, because
              EMCE Gorn's are getting expensive on eBay, same deal with Salt Vampire and Khan
              it's crazy.

Comment

• Ivaniski
                Persistent Member
                • Jun 24, 2007

Worst case scenario....Mail him to me I'll re-string it and sent it back to you for free....I've been re-stringing Mego's for over 40 years....I started with rubber bands as a kid...now I use elastic string from Michaels (works better and last longer with better range of motion)...In any case...Don't worry that's an easy fix.
                Last edited by Ivaniski; Feb 10, '18, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• spockoda
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Jan 14, 2018

Originally posted by tjacwave50
                  Your best bet is to restring him, check out the museum repair website above, because
                  it's crazy.
                  Not to change the subject but you are right about the Salt Vampire. I actually found one for the definite deal price of $24.95 at of all places a comic book store. When's the last time anyone went into a comic book store expecting to find a deal on something like that? I've always wanted a Salt Vampire figure, especially after getting teased by Playmates and Diamond Select/Art Asylum.

Comment

• spockoda
                    Museum Super Collector
                    • Jan 14, 2018

Originally posted by Ivaniski
                    Worst case scenario....Mail him to me I'll re-string it and sent it back to you for free....I've been re-stringing Mego's for over 40 years....I started with rubber bands as a kid...now I use elastic string from Michaels (works better and last longer with better range of motion)...In any case...Don't worry that's an easy fix.
                    PM sent.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                      Permanent Member
                      • Jun 29, 2018

Originally posted by tjacwave50
                      it's crazy.
                      I have a sealed Khan if anyone's interested. I couldn't find any completed auctions for Khan tho so I doubt the interest is that high. And I still have my McDunsel khan.

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
                        Career Member
                        • Nov 22, 2011

Originally posted by spockoda
                        Not to change the subject but you are right about the Salt Vampire. I actually found one for the definite deal price of $24.95 at of all places a comic book store. When's the last time anyone went into a comic book store expecting to find a deal on something like that? I've always wanted a Salt Vampire figure, especially after getting teased by Playmates and Diamond Select/Art Asylum.
                        I picked up a loose salt vampire and other re-megos at a garage sale of all places. a box of 12 for 5 bucks. LOL
                        "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• hedrap
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Capt_Kirk
                          I picked up a loose salt vampire and other re-megos at a garage sale of all places. a box of 12 for 5 bucks. LOL
                          That's bizarre. I'd never expect to see those. I wonder if it's a kid off to college, divorce or death.

Comment

• SKotK
                            Career Member
                            • Mar 11, 2014

That's almost surreal, in fact!

--SKot
                            Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                              Muddling through
                              • Oct 4, 2008

well they were selling the EMCE Treks on clearance at FAO Schwartz back in 2009. $5.00 each as I recall. anyway, I had bought a set for my son back when they originally came out, at full price, so I am sure other people did get them for kids to, gasp, actually play with

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎