Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cockyhoskins
    Career Member
    • Jan 13, 2009

Yeah, that's my thoughts as well. It may be an awesome movie about a deranged clown, but... nothing in that preview screams Joker to me. Just make a Joker movie for goodness sake!

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

But that's just the thing. When a character like Joker goes so iconic for nearly 100 years, everyone has a favorite version of him, so no one will agree. Caesar Romero, all day for me. But this will be somebody's favorite.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
        Often invisible
        • Jul 18, 2002

A stand alone Joker movie is a bad move all around, I don't care who is playing the Joker.
        Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
          It reminds me of Ronald McDonald.
          like Ronald isn't scary. Seems like the fact that this is an origin story is lost on some. The dime store clown make up may not be the finished product. I love people that condemn something based on a still pic. My personal taste is Romero and Ledger, Jack was ok, but he's kind of losing his luster over time like Hackman's Luthor. I would really like to just see them give it to Mark Hammil and just let him go at it.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Madcap70
            • Dec 4, 2017

Originally posted by Hedji
            But that's just the thing. When a character like Joker goes so iconic for nearly 100 years, everyone has a favorite version of him, so no one will agree. Caesar Romero, all day for me. But this will be somebody's favorite.
            True but at least Romero LOOKED and ACTED like the joker this is the only one that will fail because it's NOT him...

Comment

• cockyhoskins
              Career Member
              • Jan 13, 2009

I also love the comments, "This is obviously not the final version!", "Don't condemn it on one pic", etc. One of two things: 1) It's always the final version!, or 2) Why do movie studios throw out a half-***** effort as their first publicity moment?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

^Because there's no way a movie can be filmed in secrecy anymore. Look at what happened with Shazam!.

I think it looks fine. I like that his purple is more magenta, streering toward Romero's. It's certainly a more traditional look than the trainwreck that was Jared Leto. The Joker has already hit rock bottom between that and the comics' Leatherface-wannabe. Anything is better than those two examples.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

I thought I'd hate it, but honestly, I don't. Although, if they wanted to go the clown route, it would be cool to see an aging "sad clown" Joker played by Mark Hamill.

Comment

• hedrap
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 10, 2009

My guess is DC doesn't want the classic Joker makeup associated with this depiction, much like what Elseworlds is to DCU.

But I think these pics explain things a little moreso. The clown mask appears to be an Occupy V for Vendetta thing.

Joaquin Phoenix Transforms into The Joker While Filming Riot Scene!: Photo #4151762. Joaquin Phoenix shares a devilish laugh on set the upcoming Joker movie on Saturday (September 22) at the Bronx Subway Station in New York City. The 43-year-old…

Comment

• Hedji
                      Citizen of Gotham
                      • Nov 17, 2012

I like the orange vest. It really pops.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                        Wake Up Heavy
                        • Jan 31, 2010

I haven't been following this at all, but is this set in the Seventies? The clothes are giving me that feel.
                        Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• hedrap
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 10, 2009

^1980's

Comment

• Iron Mego
                            Wake Up Heavy
                            • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by hedrap
                            ^1980's
                            Thanks.
                            Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Brue
                              User without title
                              • Sep 29, 2005

my guess is that the joker make up we have seen on phoenix is first stage. as the movie progresses it will get creepier.

i dont care about a stand alone joker move. especially if batman is not in it. and i don't think he will be.
                              (like the venom movie will ot have spider-man)

i hope it is good. i will eventually see it, but unless everyone is raving about it, it will be when it is stream for free.

romero was great.

ledger was the best.

hamill voice great

leto is fine (he should not be judged by the lack of quality of the movie itself)

monoghan is good

nicholson was OK

Comment

• huedell
                                Museum Ball Eater
                                • Dec 31, 2003

I only saw the first pic, and didn't watch the video---from the looks of the follow-up pics, I'm liking what I see... after coming to terms with Ledger's Joker, I don't like the idea of the sloppy look for make-up OR costume, as I believe Ledger kinda owns that... and despite my support for Leto's look, I inherently prefer something more akin to what I grew up with, which is what this Phoenix costume appears to be.

That said: The idea that, due to the chaotic nature of the character, the Joker has the widest spectrum for interpretations of all the DCU's top-tier characters is something I wholly believe & embrace... Ledger's Joker took on that mindset even within his own movie what with his varied origin stories.

There's something of the opposite for, say, Superman who I need to be a much narrower ranged certain way, or I don't feel its really the character....

So, ultimately, for me this will be very much about the quality of the movie and not so much which way they go with the character interpretation.
                                "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎